Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Following along from previous years where I ask the Chit Chat hive mind what was good this year in Sci-Fi that I could get for my wife as Christmas presents. As geeky as I am, there is just too much media these days and I can't keep up with the fire hose in the mouth that is today's content landscape.

Last year I settled on Lexicon and The Long Earth. Lexicon she inhaled and loved, but unfortunately The Long Earth didn't stick with her. She blames her new motherhood, I think to be kind to me, but I can tell it just didn't click for her.

As before, she likes Sci-Fi with capitals. Big sweeping ideas being used in interesting ways, rather than "Syfy" that is more about drama and action while using sci-fi as backdrop.

She's teaching a class right now on dystopias, so if there is some really cool dystopias that have come out in the last year then she'd probably enjoy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked the The Southern Reach Trilogy.

And for the What are you currently reading? - Let's read together. book club, we almost read Ancillary Justice which won the Hugo Award, Nebula Award, BSFA Award, Arthur C. Clarke Award and Locus Awards in 2014.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:

+1 on that.

Quote:

The followup Ancillary Sword is also pretty good.

Others I liked -

Adam Roberts Bête
Peter Watts Echopraxia
Nina Allan The Race
Will McIntosh Defenders
Stephanie Saulter Binary but read the first in the series Gemsigns (pub 2013) first.
Nnedi Okorafor Lagoon
Ken MacLeod Descent
Simon Ings Wolves
Gareth Powell Hive Monkey but read Ack-Ack Macaque (pub early 2013) first.

Also James Smythe The Machine although that was published mid-2013. I only picked up on it towards the end of the year.

I think some of the above will be on my Hugo nomination form this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the above I would think that Echopraxia deserves reading. Especially if she has read the earlier Blindsight by Watts.

Defenders is a alien invasion story. Humans build a genetically engineered force to help defend themselves - which goes predictably badly.

Bête involves animal intelligence by way of AI augmentation. Smart and bitingly funny.

Lagoon is an alien invasion story - this one set in Nigeria.

Gemsigns and Ack-Ack Macaque I think I may have recommended last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:

-DK

Yep. Best thing I've read this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another vote for the Southern Reach Trilogy. It's disturbing, not necessarily the most easy to follow, and the plotting is not all packaged together nicely in a bow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Radcliffe
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little off topic, as the last book was published in 2013, but she may not have noticed it; The Unincorporated series by Dani and Eytan Kollin.
Unincorporated Man
Unincorporated War
Unincorporated Woman
Unincorporated Future

Expands on the idea that we are all just 'cogs in the machine' and makes you look at taxation, now or in the future, in a totally different light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Just about finishing Worlds of Exile and Illusion by Ursula K. LeGuin.
They sell 3 novels in 1 volume:
Rocannan's World
Planet of Exile
City of Illusions

These are the prequels to The Left Hand of Darkness and wonderful, fascinating SciFi.

Also LOVED the Mars trilogy (only read 2 so far, as they are very dense):
Red Mars
Green Mars
Blue Mars

by Kim Stanley Robinson
His novel 2312 is also outstanding.

Another great series: Old Man's War novels by John Scalzi.

Sorry, just now realized you only want recommendations of novels published in 2014. blushmodest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am finishing up Proxima(2013) by Stephen Baxter, and he has a second novel out in the series called Ultima. So far an interesting concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Sorry, just now realized you only want recommendations of novels published in 2014. blushmodest

No problem. My wife is pretty prolific with her reading so the only way I can ensure I don't get her something she's already read I just aim for the latest titles.

I'm pretty confident that she's read all of LeGuin, and I know she at least started the Mars trilogy by Robinson, but put it down fairly quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Helpful website IMO - http://www.bestsfbooks.com/

(aggregates info about award-winning SF)

2013, so maybe too late; but Neptune's Brood by Stross. Excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Helpful website IMO - http://www.bestsfbooks.com/

(aggregates info about award-winning SF)

Or just nominated.

Hild by Nicola Griffith is on that list and hasn't won any SF award. It is excellent, but it isn't SF, or even fantasy. It is a historical novel. It was nominated for the Nebula, and was a finalist for the Campbell and appeared on the Tiptree honor roll.

Indeed out of the top 10 book shown I would say that only 5 of them were SF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

No problem. My wife is pretty prolific with her reading so the only way I can ensure I don't get her something she's already read I just aim for the latest titles.

I'm pretty confident that she's read all of LeGuin, and I know she at least started the Mars trilogy by Robinson, but put it down fairly quickly.

Has she read Jennifer Government by Max Barry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Has she read Jennifer Government by Max Barry?

Maybe, she has about eight books available to students for her dystopian class, and one of them I know has something to do with bar code tattoos. I'll glance at her class bookshelf tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big fan of contemporary dystopian novels, bit I do enjoy the movies. There are some older dystopian that I do like. Of course besides the likes of F.451 and Clockwork Orange, Neuromancer, etc.

A couple that have come out in over 20 years that haven't got the big screen treatment but I thought were still pretty cool.

Chung Kuo series by David Windgrove(Thin Game of Thrones in a future rewritten by the Chinese)

Random Acts of Senseless Violence(1993) by Jack Womack(Mega-corps, drugs, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one that might be worth looking at it Extinction Game by Gary Gibson - lone survivors have been saved from multiple devastated alternate Earths and set to work for the “Authority”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a follow up, I got her the Southern Reach Trilogy for my first pick. It seemed like it would be a bit different from what she has been reading in the past few years, but still pull her in. It's longish and we have another baby on the way so she'll have something that will while away the hours and hours of breastfeeding that will commence in a few months.

I wasn't looking for it, but while browsing I found Pariah. My wife and I have really enjoyed Dan Abnett's Warhammer 40K novels for the last decade and so I scooped that up. She was delighted to open up the present to find that. Score!

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.