Subject: Discard, Not sure how to interpret this rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Situation,

My friend has an character that gets bonuses from her having discarded a card. She flips a villain/adversary that says "Put the top card of your deck into your discard pile" I tell her that it doesn't trigger because it doesn't count as discarding since the card did not come from her hand and the villain/adversary did not use the term "discard" for that reason. She grumbles but accepts it.

On her next turn, she revelas a different villain/adversary with the text "Discard the top card of your deck" still having the same character after re-shuffling, and she looks at me like I'm a laywer that just lost her cause. I'm thinking,( Wow nice job designer dudes)

I have two cards using different terms/wordings to describe the same action. And I didn't feel justified telling her it didn't trigger with the word "discard" clearly written.

So which is it? Does the game consider a card discarded if it came from your deck? Is it bad wording on the other card? It's really unintuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Could you tell us specifically which cards they were?

If the cards do read that way, then the second would trigger and the first wouldn't. There is a distinction between "put into your discard pile" and "discard."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
Could you tell us specifically which cards they were?

If the cards do read that way, then the second would trigger and the first wouldn't. There is a distinction between "put into your discard pile" and "discard."

There is no difference between the action that the player must perform. It says to discard a card from the top of your deck, not just discard a card.

It was in villains but I don't remember which cards we were using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Baldwin
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
mb
If it uses the term "discard", it is a discard for all intents and purposes. Otherwise, it is not. So yes, when you "discard" the top card of your deck. It is a discard and triggers all discard-related effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brechtel
United States
Cannon Falls
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since she had the same "character" in her hand, she couldn't have it in play... so she probably wouldn't get a benefit either time...

To truly be able to respond to your question, we would need to know what the actual cards were.

Most cards only get bonuses at the moment they are put in play and after... To my knowledge the only way for her to have a card in play for both your turn and hers is if it was an artifact card from the Guardians expansion, but none of those have "discard" effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps, the card text for all of the cards, including Villains, can be found here:

Complete Card Text - all cards (through World War Hulk)

It's best to be as specific as possible about which cards you're asking.

It sounds like this is one of the cards:

Quote:
S.H.I.E.L.D. Assault Squad
Fight: Discard the top card of your deck. Then KO an Ally from your discard pile.
Attack: 3
VP: 1

I can't find the other one to which you are referring though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok. I just found the 2nd card in question. Took me a while because it wasn't an adversary. It was Dr. Strange's "eye of Aggamoto" card.

Which has you put the top card of the ally deck into your discard pile.

So I'm going to assume that a card does not count as being discarded if it doesn't belong to the player who's discard pile it goes in.

Though I was wrong in thinking losing a card from your deck isn't a discard
. Apparently the term discard applies interchangably to cards in your hand /deck and maybe cards in play, I haven't double checked.

Though most players have the (bad) habit of putting all their cards on the table whether they've played them or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the exact card text:

Quote:
Eye of Agamotto
Fight: Reveal cards from the Ally Deck equal to the number of players. Put one of those cards into each player's discard pile.

Phaseshifter wrote:
Which has you put the top card of the ally deck into your discard pile.

So I'm going to assume that a card does not count as being discarded if it doesn't belong to the player who's discard pile it goes in.

Good assumption. You're not discarding anything here. You're basically recruiting an Ally for free for each player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revealing a card and then putting it in your discard pile is by game terms not the same as discard a card.
As well as revealing a cards and putting it in your hand is by game terms not the same as draw a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zyankalium wrote:
Revealing a card and then putting it in your discard pile is by game terms not the same as discard a card.
As well as revealing a cards and putting it in your hand is by game terms not the same as draw a card.

Actually. Several cards have you reveal cards from the top of other players deck and then chose whether to discard them or not. The term discard is still used there I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His point is that cards that use the verb "put" instead of "draw" or "discard" do not count as having made you draw or discard a card in game terms. They are physically the same action, but terminologically they are different actions.

For example, if you play a card that gives you +1 Attack for each card you drew this turn it would only count cards you actually drew from effects or cards that state that you "draw" a card. It would not count cards that you "put into your hand".

If you play a card that says to "put" a card in the discard pile, then later play a card that gives you +1 Attack for each card you "discarded" this turn it would not count the card that "put" a card in the discard pile because it did not use the verb "discard."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.