Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Question about replacing paper $ with poker chips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: poker [+] [View All]
Hi. If I want to use (blank) poker chips instead of paper money for these games, is it more than enough to have 50 pieces each of 5 colors of chips?

- Railroad Tycoon
- Age of Steam
- Power Grid

Thanks,
C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin R. Krause
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railroad Tycoon and Power Grid have money in three different denominations. So you don´t even need 5 different colours.

We just put a chip a the note that it is supposed to represent to indicate the nomination.

You should check out www.boardgameswithscott.de, there you can find a 40 min special about replacing money with poker chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I have for Power Grid and it works great. I don't have the others, but if you count the number of paper bills per denomination it should give you a good idea how close you are. For Power Grid I think they only gave you 40 1 electro bills, so you actually have more money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torquato wrote:
Railroad Tycoon and Power Grid have money in three different denominations. So you don´t even need 5 different colours.

We just put a chip a the note that it is supposed to represent to indicate the nomination.

You should check out www.boardgameswithscott.de, there you can find a 40 min special about replacing money with poker chips.

Actually PG has 4 denominations 1,5,10,50

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
rmartinc wrote:
Actually PG has 4 denominations 1,5,10,50

It sure does, the next two denominations I would add would be a 2 and 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kelsey
United States
kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a nice set of poker chips with numbers on them (1,5,10,25,50,100). They are great for replacing paper money since we just use the values on the chips and it is easy to remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C.
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great idea. I previously bought a couple of sets of good quality 12.5g poker chips. Next, I bought a very cheap set of poker chips (same size, but quite light plastic), because they came in a nice silvery briefcase thing, which now houses the good chips. I just bagged up some of the cheap chips (well, 30 each of 4 colours) and put them in the Power Grid box - perfect cos the heavy chips are too heavy to cart around with Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for all your replies.
I just bought 50 each of white, green, red, blue and (because the shop did not have black) yellow plastic chips today. No doubt the clay chips are nicer in terms of tactile quality and looks, but plastic weighs less and costs less (thus more $$ for games ).
I'd probably keep the chips in a small plastic box with adjustable compartments, else simply put them in separate ziplock baggies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.