Subject: Cosmic Encounter like but ideal for 3-4 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all,

So I've recently felt like I need a good sci-fi game in my collection, and initially wanted Twilight Imperium, but realistically my group just don't get together enough nor spend the time playing to justify buying it. Then I came across Cosmic Encounter and it seemed perfect for us. However, we are rarely more than 3 or 4 dedicated players, and after reading a few reviews understood that Cosmic Encounter perhaps isn't the best bet (everyone seems to say the same thing, don't bother with less than 5).

Basically my question is this:

What would be THE game to get for 3+ players that gives the same feel as Twilight Imperium and Cosmic Encounter? We are all into our science fiction so are open to any suggestions within this field!

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic is great with 4. I wouldnt play with less tho.

Cosmic and TI are completely different types of games.

Maybe Eclipse would suit you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say (depending on your group) that

Core Worlds. It is a deck builder but as you move to the goal cards the game progresses. It is better with the first expansion and a second just came out... so watch some reviews before you jump all the way in.

Xia Legends of a drift system (once it hits the market).

and Cosmic encounter (I think it plays best with 4 or 5 as it moves faster that way any more it may drag some what).

There is really nothing like TI or Cosmic in my opinion. Hope you find that perfect game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic is at its best with 4 IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually love Cosmic with 3 as well. I won't play with more than 4.

Quantum is a space game that isn't too long and plays well with 3-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not sci-fi, but I found that Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem brought the same player interaction hilarity that Cosmic Encounter does. That's for 3-4 players. The theme is all over the game, though, so I understand if that's not what you're interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a lighter game like cosmic encounter with some bluffing, misdirection, and chaotic play try Chaosmos. I personally didn't care for it, but it definitely has the cosmic encounter feel with an interesting end game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
Maybe Eclipse would suit you.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have a look on: New Dawn. Different races and abilities, space fights, randomness by rolling dice (and modifying them). Also more player interaction than Eclipse and the possibility to attack a lot and screw the other players. Eclipse is fine, but in our group most of the "in your face" interactions occur in the later third of the game.
But a game "like" cosmic...I dunno, it´s too unique

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
XO_rocinante
Germany
Fürth
Franconia
flag msg tools
badge
#alwaysberunning
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Cosmic is at its best with 4 IMO.

It's good with 4. Great with 5 and perfect with 6. And don't forget it's epic with 7 or 8. I played it 2 times with 9 people (beer caps and mats).. but that's just crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
Eminent Domain
Impulse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I in no way see Race for the Galaxy overlapping with Cosmic, except they both take place in Space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Cosmic Encounter and Eclipse, but for completely different reasons!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain also has no overlap with Cosmic... good game though
Exodus: Proxima Centauri is supposed to be a good space/battle game, did not have the chance to check it out for myself.
But Cosmic is a hard nut to replace... or something like that. There is a good reason why there is nothing like it. So get it and play it with 4... it´s very good with 4. And maybe you are like me and don´t even care much für the option to play with 8... Everything above 5 is just chaos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dios_et_dios wrote:
I in no way see Race for the Galaxy overlapping with Cosmic, except they both take place in Space.

"We are all into our science fiction so are open to any suggestions within this field!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Four players is a minimum for CE for me; five is better.

I actually would recommend that you take a look at Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery. It offers a lot of game for three to four players. It is a heavier game than CE but includes a number of the same elements - fluid deals, betrayals, card combos, intrigue and random surprises. The character you develop as players from game to game helps to determine the character of the sessions you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.