Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

I feel I should be upfront and state that I've never heard of the Witcher license. If you like the theme or the license, then you should add to my review.

The Witcher Adventure Game is this odd combination of Euro game with a "Runebound" Adventure game. This is a game to get the most victory points, but you get the most victory points by accomplishing missions. It isn't as Euro as Lords of Waterdeep; it has more theme and less mechanics than that game.

The Witcher falls into the problem of being repetitive without being interesting. For example, normally in a worker placement you are doing the same thing over and over but the decisions are different so they are interesting. In this game, you are just doing the same thing over and over but the decision is the same. You spend a lot of time just walking around and collecting leads, which isn't as interesting as it sounds.

The Witcher is attempting to be a starter game for adventure games. In its search to be light, it becomes boring. This is a thin line that cannot be crossed. Your options are limited and repetitive. There is one path to victory: solve missions by collecting leads. Not enough here to keep my interest even for a single game.

Purge.

Components:

The components are very good. This is Fantasy Flight so people can sort or know what they are getting. You get 4 minis that would look pretty good painted. All the chits are very thick cardboard and look great. The art work in the game is very good. The board looks like most Fantasy Flight boards with a few icons and paths around the board. You also get some custom dice for each character.

Everything is very, very good.

Rule Book:

I do not have the issues that some people have with FFG rule books. I found this book to be very good and I was able to play the game rather easily.

You get two rule books. The first gives you enough rules to get started. The second rule book is a reference guide for rule questions that come up during the game. The first book even tells you not to read the reference guide, but to let the questions be researched naturally. I found this a great way to learn the game. Top job!

Flow of the Game:

This game isn't hard to learn. The game ends when someone finishes their third mission (everyone else gets another turn) and whoever has the most VP wins the game.

Each character plays different with different development cards (think level up) and custom dice. At the start of the game, you are given a quest card which usually has side quest and other quest you can do and a main quest. They are worth different levels of VP.

On your turn, you can do two actions, but not the same action twice.

1. Travel - you will do this over and over and over. If you move one region, you get a lead token. These help you finish missions. If you move two, you don't get a lead token and something bad happens. Just always move once.

2. Investigate - Get an investigation card. This could be good, a challenge, or something bad.

3. Development - level up. Get powers, spells, etc. You will also do this a lot.

4. Rest - heal

5. Unique ability - each character has a different unique ability

These following things do not require an action:

A. Trade in lead tokens for proof tokens. Normally, proof tokens are required to accomplish the main missions.

B. Complete any type of mission.

After doing your actions, you will encounter an obstacles. These can be monsters, things to over come, etc. Basically, the main missions in the game. Each location has different missions, obstacles, monsters, etc.

Battles - Battles are done by dice rolling. There are common dice everyone rolls and unique dice for each character. Developments that you get will only be affected by your custom dice (the symbols are the same). You will compare you attack score and your defense score with the monsters. If your attack score is higher, they die. Each monster will have a list of things that happen if you fail or succeed these test.

As an aside, if you get wounds they limit the actions you can do until you heal. This is a really neat and unique mechanic. It reminds me of Claustophobia. You have to decide which action you won't need for a while. This is a great decision.

There are a few extra little things in this game, but you will spend the majority of your time just walking around trying to get those lead tokens/proof tokens. There isn't a lot of player interaction, so it becomes more of a race to accomplish the missions.

[ImageID= 2247106]

Should I buy this game?:

No. I liked the components and the rule book, but the game is just too repetitive and gets boring rather quickly. Fans of The Witcher may want to take a longer look at the game than us non-fans. At the end of the day, there are not any great adventure games but this plays too Euro for a good adventure games. I may lke Legend of Andor better and maybe Runebound. Try before you buy.

Purge.

Quick Update: 12.4.14:

I played the game again with a different group. I did like the game more.

It is an adventure game. Your decisions do seem to dictate what you interact with. The VP nature of the game is not a total drag and I think it mostly works.

Dislikes:

A card that takes VP away for no reason. I hate, hate, hate this in games and makes no thematic sense. If I was going to keep this game, I would throw this card away.

All the towns pretty much feel the same. You really just walk back and forth getting clues.

Little to no player interaction.

The game is highly abstract.

Everyone should develop when the game starts so why not just start with some development?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
I feel I should be upfront and state that I've never heard of the Witcher license.
I liked the components and the rule book, but the game is just too repetitive and gets boring rather quickly. Fans of The Witcher may want to take a longer look at the game than us non-fans.

I had the same experience. Coincidentally, I just made the following comment in a more positive review thread, which seems apropos here:
curtc wrote:
Alcahaelas wrote:
Wife is a fan of the Witcher video games (as am I, along with reading the novels) and looking forward to playing.

That is the key right there. Those inclined toward the source material are likely to be satisfied. Others, not so much (based on my experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough I am a huge Witcher fan in all its media forms and I thought this game was just garbage. They seriously put to many constraints on the designer and didn't allow him to make a hobby game. This game is for the masses appeal IMO. Which begs the question. Why not just make Witcher Monopoly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:
They seriously put to many constraints on the designer and didn't allow him to make a hobby game.

What makes you think "they" (who is "they" by the way?) constrained the designer? As far as I know, this was the designer's design they way he intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game. It's a good light adventure game to play with casual gamers who don't get into deeper/hardcore strategy games. IMO it's not a garbage game at all--different strokes for different folks, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hesitate to say any game is garbage because some find even UNO awesome. So this game is somewhere between Uno-awesome and Talisman-awesome.meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
So this game is somewhere between Uno-awesome and Talisman-awesome.

Aren't those two games the equivalent level of awesome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcahaelas wrote:
I like the game. It's a good light adventure game to play with casual gamers who don't get into deeper/hardcore strategy games. IMO it's not a garbage game at all--different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I tried to say it has a market for new gamers or early gamers (tween age). To much just walking around and collecting things. Reminds me of those old RPG video games with random encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Talisman is an odd beast. Generally it's disliked in BGG, but there are few hardcore fans here. So it's a niche within a niche.

Then again, FFG has gone through multiple re-prints of it, so what do I know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Ren
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Highly disagree with almost everything you said.

Sounds like you played one turn and assumed you knew the entire game.

The game, while not deep like Mage knight, is fun in its own right.

The fun comes from the interesting foul fates and investigatins. Watching the world become more deadly, and deciding the best route to get vp.

The game also gets more interesting as you go as new abilities open up new avenues for getting vp..and it speeds up because of this.

Moving back and forth between two locations is hardly an optimal strategy. Heck moving isn't always the best strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tierdal wrote:

The fun comes from the interesting foul fates and investigatins. Watching the world become more deadly, and deciding the best route to get vp.

The game also gets more interesting as you go as new abilities open up new avenues for getting vp..and it speeds up because of this.

Moving back and forth between two locations is hardly an optimal strategy. Heck moving isn't always the best strategy.

I played it three times and once solo. I was mainly comparing it in my mind to other games. Sounds like I might need to give it a try with you at a con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Ren
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
tierdal wrote:

I played it three times and once solo. I was mainly comparing it in my mind to other games. Sounds like I might need to give it a try with you at a con.

Hah - im not sure I could make it any more fun for you if you dont like it. I can definitely see how this is not everyones cup of tea. It is LIGHT but it is not trash as being described in this thread.

ALso, you do get leads for moving twice...just not leads from both locations you past through...only the one you land in. The downside to moving two spaces is a foulfate. This actually lost me a game because I lost a clue by trying to move to fast and end the game quicker...but thats half the fun. Its not called foul for no reason

I also feel your review skips over all the fun parts.

1) there is player interaction (moving monsters to their territories to slow them down, doing their side missions for a net point gain ect..

2) you don't talk about how the foul fates and investigations add flavor

Id be interesting to know which mechanics you didnt like, and what adventure games you feel do it better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevej wrote:
Well, Talisman is an odd beast. Generally it's disliked in BGG, but there are few hardcore fans here. So it's a niche within a niche.

Unfortunately BGG tastes are somewhat niche. Just because it's disliked in BGG doesn't make it niche in the general scheme of board games. Although, I am curious as to why FFG continues to pump out numerous expansions for Talisman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mydnight wrote:
Sevej wrote:

Unfortunately BGG tastes are somewhat niche. Just because it's disliked in BGG doesn't make it niche in the general scheme of board games. Although, I am curious as to why FFG continues to pump out numerous expansions for Talisman.

Because they sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, it's an improved runebound. Flavor text and story are great, as is witcher's world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. OObacke
msg tools
Well, thanks for the review.

Looks like FFG got the hang of killing complex boardgaming. Considering their relaunch of Descent and their other new games. Not comparable to some of their old games (TI3rd, Descent 1st, Doom, Starcraft ...).

The motto: "easy and light sells, so f*** the rest" crycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mroobacke wrote:

Looks like FFG got the hang of killing complex boardgaming. Considering their relaunch of Descent and their other new games. Not comparable to some of their old games (TI3rd, Descent 1st, Doom, Starcraft ...).

This game was not designed in-house at FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After reading the comments about the Witcher, why do people like Eldritch horror?

If you want a game where all you do is walk around...a lot...the only game that tops it is Arkham Horror.

That is ALL YOU DO in Eldritch or Arkham. It just has a Cthulu theme elements thrown in to distract you from it.

The Witcher at least has options for supporting and screwing others, but there are many elements that are similar.

I found the witcher to be Eldritch Horror reskinned to another theme.

The thing with the Witcher is every character is uniquely different. I was impressed by that. The way you win with Dandelion won't work with any other character. I like that...a lot.

I get that people want an adventure game that is deep...but if you are in that camp, you fail to realize that is already made. It is called DnD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:

But it's not. You've said this in several posts and I simply disagree. The biggest difference is EH is fully coop while Witcher is not.

There are similarities, yes, but there are significant differences as well. You do a disservice to both games if you keep tossing them into the same pot and insisting they are the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcahaelas wrote:
schmoo34 wrote:

But it's not. You've said this in several posts and I simply disagree. The biggest difference is EH is fully coop while Witcher is not.

There are similarities, yes, but there are significant differences as well. You do a disservice to both games if you keep tossing them into the same pot and insisting they are the same game.

Yeah these two games aren't even remotely similar. Not even sure how you can compare them. Even the movement mechanics are vastly different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. OObacke
msg tools
Axelfudge wrote:
mroobacke wrote:

This game was not designed in-house at FFG.

And that matters? They still put their logo on it.

Or are you trying to say that putting your logo on a product which was not designed in-house automatically strips you of all the responsibilities considering that product?

I only know that kind of practice from politics ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mroobacke wrote:
Or are you trying to say that putting your logo on a product which was not designed in-house automatically strips you of all the responsibilities considering that product?

What "responsibilities"? They published a game. Some people like it and some people don't. The people who don't like it shouldn't buy it. If they publish a game that you don't like, that doesn't take anything away from their other games that you do like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alcahaelas wrote:
schmoo34 wrote:

Well let's see.

You move around...a lot.

You have two actions

You even have the ability to move twice!

You collect clues

You Move to spaces so you can pursue quests/collect clues

Game ends if you finish three quests.
The clue tokens are used to finish quests.

None of this seems familiar to you?

It is not co-op. That makes it different enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:

No. The game is just too repetitive and gets boring rather quickly.

Just wanted to chime in. I played this at GENCON and had the exact same feeling despite being very excited about this game. WAY too basic, even for a gateway game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think E. Horror works b/c it is cooperative. As a competitive game, it wouldn't work.

schmoo34 wrote:
After reading the comments about the Witcher, why do people like Eldritch horror?

If you want a game where all you do is walk around...a lot...the only game that tops it is Arkham Horror.

That is ALL YOU DO in Eldritch or Arkham. It just has a Cthulu theme elements thrown in to distract you from it.

The Witcher at least has options for supporting and screwing others, but there are many elements that are similar.

The thing with the Witcher is every character is uniquely different. I was impressed by that. The way you win with Dandelion won't work with any other character. I like that...a lot.

I get that people want an adventure game that is deep...but if you are in that camp, you fail to realize that is already made. It is called DnD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.