Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Ridgley
United States
Copperas Cove
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In an earlier post the designer suggested that you can potentially move up to 5 areas if using a Forced March with an army led by a fresh commander that has a Movement allowance of 4.

This would seem impossible though according to the rules of 12. 3. 3 where a fresh corps upon entering its third area and is subject to march attrition immediately becomes spent which reduces its remaining movement allowance.

Thusly would the army commander that started at MR 5 with the Forced march card lose a point of MA from march attrition because his MR was reduced to 4 upon becoming spent in the third area? He could only move on to one more area after the third one granted that he survives the attrition rolls.

At least that's how I interpret this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Day
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if you look at past threads below on the topics of March Attrition, Forced March, and Movement allowance, you can read references in posts to rules or designer clarifications to help you out.

But once again it comes down to there being a problem with the way these rules or explanations are presented or translated around these mechanic's that confuses people.

If there could be a post with appropriate rules, with several examples given during play it would clear up much of the confusion, or even have someone present the rules in a different manner.

Some video tutorials or graphic tutorials would be great as well.

To some the rules make perfect sense, to others not so much. I think this comes down to the rules I believe were originally written in French. ***Actually corrected, they were not written in French. my mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ridgley
United States
Copperas Cove
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the rule book could have included a few more examples of movement to illustrate the common misperceptions and mistakes that come up in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a bummer is if you look back, there seems to be a late thread contradiction to what everyone seemed to have agreed to earlier in the thread...

I don't force March very often, so I don't care that much. Except I really like the game, and wish this part was explainable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
AGRAYDAY wrote:
Yes, if you look at past threads below on the topics of March Attrition, Forced March, and Movement allowance, you can read references in posts to rules or designer clarifications to help you out.

But once again it comes down to there being a problem with the way these rules or explanations are presented or translated around these mechanic's that confuses people.

If there could be a post with appropriate rules, with several examples given during play it would clear up much of the confusion, or even have someone present the rules in a different manner.

Some video tutorials or graphic tutorials would be great as well.

To some the rules make perfect sense, to others not so much. I think this comes down to the rules I believe were originally written in French.

Actually they weren't... While I'm sure the rules could have been written better in some places, that much can be said of many rules, even those written by native English speakers. I also find that many people read what they want to read, not what they are reading, or sometimes they don't even seem to be reading. I can't tell you how many times I have satisfactorily answered a question with a straight quote from the rules. That said, I also do sometimes make mistakes in answering rule questions and that's usually when I'm relying on memory rather than reading the rules, for which I apologize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
So one more time, reading the rules as written, I agree that a fresh army led by a commander with an MR of 4 and helped by a FM card, boosting its MR and therefore its MA to 5, can move a maximum of 4 regions. Its MA will be 4 after 1 region, 3 after 2 regions, 1 after 3 regions and 0 after 4 regions. That's of course assuming no hindrances to movement. If it wants to attack, for instance, it can only move 3 regions (i.e., the target of its attack must be in the 3rd region).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ridgley
United States
Copperas Cove
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Mr. Verlaque for the quick response. That's how I interpreted movement in this situation, but a post from a few years back confused me the last time i played. I love the game all things considered, just want to make sure that I'm playing it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Day
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will fix my post, apologies for assuming they were written in a different language. Thank you for the clarifications, I think most of us know that writing rules is no easy task, and many people interpret them many different ways.

I wasn't knocking your rules per say, just meaning that more examples and a different approach to explain the mechanics would be a big help to many.

thanks for your clarification and posting. glad your still here and responding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.