Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got C&C Ancients to the table for the first time in a long time thanksgiving day. Why did I stop playing this game?

I got this probably seven years ago, so I've bought and played a lot of games since then. Even so, I can say C&C is "still champion".

Played Cannae switching sides (won 14-10 aggregate...woop woop.) This scenario rocks, and I think it's better balanced than it looks at first glance. The Romans have a lot of power in the center and can do some serious damage. The Carthaginians have their big guns on the flanks and hold a powerful 6-4 command card advantage. One thing that strikes me every time I play is how skillful hand management can overcome the two card deficit. I love those tough decisions, like when you really need to react in one area of the battle, but the only card you have that will work is something like line command (do I *really* want to use line command to activate two units? ... but I really need to do it...)

Cannae is an awesome scenario, and Commands & Colors Ancients is an awesome game.

Still champion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't get enough of all the C&C series of games - glad to see you're enjoying Ancients as much as I do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer DC wrote:
I can't get enough of all the C&C series of games - glad to see you're enjoying Ancients as much as I do :D

Yeah! Ancients is one of the first games I got, and it's still one of the best. I also have Memoir 44 and some of the expansions.

Not sure if I'll go Battle Cry or Napoleonics next. The Civil War interests me more, but Napoleonics looks better as a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnus Maximus wrote:
Not sure if I'll go Battle Cry or Napoleonics next. The Civil War interests me more, but Napoleonics looks better as a game.

IMHO C&C:N is the best of the series and BC the weakest. The "scissors/paper/stone" nature of Napoleonic combined arms warfare works very well in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CC:N is definitely the better game (in terms of replicating the "feel" of its subject period) of the two, but I have a soft spot for BC150. BC150 gets that most playing time in my house. Several of the scenarios (Wilson's Creek, Little Round Top, etc.) provide interesting challenges that rather make up for the limitations of the base system. I would ultimately recommend both, but would suggest you go with the period that interests you most.

For me, even though in many ways I feel CCA is the best of all the C&C games, it actually sees the least table time, as Napoleonics, Civil War, and World War II all interest me (and my opponents) more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always enjoy the debate over which of the games is 'the best'.

CCA has held that place for me but CCN has gained on it over the years.

I wish Battle Cry was updated to the CCN level as I'd really like to like that game more too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Briggs
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you Steve. CCA is my favorite and it's also true that the "favorite" depends on individual taste. They are all great games.

There is an aesthetic appeal to the components that makes CCA my favored game. Picking up and moving the blocks makes the game physically feel like an ancient artifact. Have you ever seen a Japanese Go or Shogi master play a piece by striking the wooden board? That's the kind of zin-like feeling I get. I don't feel that with the other more "modern" games in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.