1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Storing DVDs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I don't buy very many, but they do add up, and eventually you end up with shelves or cabinets full of the things.

I've been considering tossing the cases and keeping the discs in folders (and there's also the dream of ripping them all and storing them on an external drive that gets plugged straight into the TV, but that dies off after a couple because of the time it takes - my CDs were so much easier).

Does anyone else do this? Or take other approaches?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Does anyone else do this? Or take other approaches?

I store the cases in a bin in the garage, and the discs themselves in binders w/ their inserts – Caselogic is the brand although the products I use have been discontinued for awhile now unfortunately. Luckily I found a small stash and that's kept me going (plus I hardly ever buy movies anymore now with Netflix).

My sister uses a combination of something akin to shoeboxes and sleeves that just store the disc. I'm not sure if she keeps the cases/inserts or just tosses everything.

I too started to rip my collection but quickly nixed that idea. The idea is nice but not worth the investment in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Radcliffe
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I throw the cases away, download the movies, and simply store the DVDs (downloading movies you already own isn't piracy).

The downloaded movies are stored on external HDs, and I run Plex software to be able to watch them, even when away from home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to store CDs in binders, but rarely listened to them. I like the cases, art, inserts (CDs and DVDs) and they really don't take up much more room.

I have two Sauder media shelves. I try to keep my collection so that it remains within those two (a few big box sets have expanded outward a bit though.) They hold roughly 1200 disks together, I guess.

Resale/trade-in value on most titles does bite now, so that's not really an option like it was even a year ago.

I briefly thought about ripping them to a media storage server, but technically that's illegal, and honestly, I'd probably spend a ton of time doing it and watch 10% of it. Just not worth it to me.

I would think downloading movies you own is technically piracy (though I will fully admit I have downloaded MP3s for things I have on cassette). Making no moral judgment, I just don't think "but I own it on disk" is a legal defense.
I think it's legal to rip your own disks, BUT it's illegal to break the copy protection that prevents you from ripping your own disk. (IANAL and haven't done a lot of research on that.)

I like having a shelf of stuff. I like browsing the titles, taking one off the shelf, lending it to someone, putting it in a player.
However, I also don't buy a whole lot anymore thanks to Netflix; I'll buy a complete TV series for a bargain, or the occasional blu ray for no more than 10 bucks, ideally 6-8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm a displayer. I love physical media and being able to browse my shelves for what I want. I also find it visually attractive.

Games up top, DVD films central, CDs far left and DVD boxsets, Blu-rays and PS3 games to the bottom left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Yet feet that wandering have gone
badge
Turn at last to home afar
mbmb
I keep my Cd's, DVD's and Blu-ray's in a hard case (http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004VME49G?tag=article-geekdo-20). The one's I use often are in a smaller zippered case that I keep handy and all of the jewel cases etc. are in cardboard boxes in storage. This has opened up a lot of shelf space for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case, sorted by case color. Very nice to see on the shelf, but requires excellent knowledge of your collection if you want to find something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put the majority of my cd/dvd/blu-ray collection into binders and pitched the plastic cases. It saved us a ton of room on our shelves. I did save the paper sleeves as I plan to use them for something down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If I was truly the product of “Intelligent Design,” I’m pretty sure my fingers would be smaller or my nose would be bigger.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmb
When the kids were small and were in the mode of wanting to watch the same movie(s) over and over (and over again), it really made sense to buy disks. If we watched a movie on Netflix or Vudu more than three or four times, that would have been more than the cost of the disk, so we just bought the disk.

Now we only buy a movie on disk if we think it's going to get watched more than 2-3 times. Otherwise, we'll just rent it from Redbox or Vudu (we dropped our Netflix subscription several years ago).

When I buy movies now, I go to Ebay and try to get just the disk. Lots of folks buy the multi-disk sets (Blu-Ray, DVD, and Ultraviolet), keep the BR or UV and sell the others separately. I don't like the way the Blu-Ray menus work (and we can't see enough difference in quality to justify the extra cost) so I only buy the regular DVD. I bought a bunch of "slim" clear plastic cases, so I stick the DVD in one of those, then print out a copy of the regular case cover and slip it in the sleeve. You can fit about five slim cases in the shelf space taken up by two regular cases, so (if my math is correct) that's a 60% space savings.

I also found that, with a bit of careful trimming, the regular case cover will fit into a slim case, so you can swap the cases and save a bunch of room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has nobody tried ripping their DVDs at all? If I did one a day, I could get through a bunch. I'm still looking at getting Android on a stick, or Pi, so I might just go for this and have one as a media server. When I raised this before, nobody seemed to know much on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Ripping DVDs takes a long time and ties up the computer for that time too. It's pretty resource intensive so it's hard to be ripping something in the background while you play a videogame, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
feenix1363 wrote:
I throw the cases away, download the movies, and simply store the DVDs (downloading movies you already own isn't piracy).

Legally it probably is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Has nobody tried ripping their DVDs at all? If I did one a day, I could get through a bunch. I'm still looking at getting Android on a stick, or Pi, so I might just go for this and have one as a media server. When I raised this before, nobody seemed to know much on it.

I use handbrake on Ubuntu for this - seems to work pretty well. That said, I'm with Luke above in being a displayer of stuff, so they're all out on shelves. The reason fron piping them is (a) for copying to my iPad when I have to work away or am on a long train journey and (b) backup in case the disc ever croaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Radcliffe
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
feenix1363 wrote:

Legally it probably is.

No doubt posting the files is theft and breach of copyright, but I've already gained the right to view the material by purchasing the DVD.

It would be interesting to see it go to court. See how the case is made for loss of earnings as I already own the films.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

I have. It takes what seems like ages to copy the DVD to the hard drive, and then I need to transcode the thing to my preferred format and quality (which takes even longer - a substantial proportion of the film's length, as it happens).

I do this in batches - rip the discs during the day, transcode overnight. But then I don't use my computer for gaming these days.

The real sticking point for me, apart from it taking ages, is that my computer is 6 years old now, and transcoding (in the weather we have right now - 35 and up) tends to cause the thing to overheat a little. By which I mean I am not comfortable with my CPU temp heading for 80...

I don't know how this would go with an Android system; I use dvd-rip and avidemux under Linux.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
kunnagh wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

I use handbrake on Ubuntu for this - seems to work pretty well. That said, I'm with Luke above in being a displayer of stuff, so they're all out on shelves. The reason fron piping them is (a) for copying to my iPad when I have to work away or am on a long train journey and (b) backup in case the disc ever croaks.

Which is exactly how I started ripping my cds years ago (because I did have one go rotten and die - not scratches, disc rot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
feenix1363 wrote:
andyl wrote:
feenix1363 wrote:

Legally it probably is.

No doubt posting the files is theft and breach of copyright, but I've already gained the right to view the material by purchasing the DVD.

It would be interesting to see it go to court. See how the case is made for loss of earnings as I already own the films.

I don't think someone who used that logic would get anywhere. It would be like saying you are entitled to free e-reader versions of books you own physical copies for. Medium is just as much a part of your purchase as the content, and buying a DVD likely only legally gives you the right to view the material on that medium, not any medium ever to exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Radcliffe
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
feenix1363 wrote:
andyl wrote:
feenix1363 wrote:

Legally it probably is.

I don't think someone who used that logic would get anywhere. It would be like saying you are entitled to free e-reader versions of books you own physical copies for. Medium is just as much a part of your purchase as the content, and buying a DVD likely only legally gives you the right to view the material on that medium, not any medium ever to exist.

Using that logic, ripping your own copy would also be illegal.

Fortunately not all countries have the same laws on copyright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
feenix1363 wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
feenix1363 wrote:
andyl wrote:
feenix1363 wrote:

Legally it probably is.

RSP, people, and nothing whatsoever to do with DVD storage options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
feenix1363 wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
feenix1363 wrote:
andyl wrote:
feenix1363 wrote:

Legally it probably is.

Until very recently ripping your own copy (either music or DVD) was also illegal in the UK. It only changed in October this year. It was changed to allow making a backup, or to enable format or time shifting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

I got tired of my kids leaving DVDs out all over the floor, so several years ago I setup a dedicated media server. I ripped all our DVDs onto the hard drive and now the kids just use a remote to browse the movies and pick the one they want. It works great.

Ripping the DVDs is not too bad time-wise. I would just stick in a DVD and start the rip and then come back in a few minutes when it was done to start the next one. As JasonJ0 mentioned, converting to your preferred format is what takes time. I also reduced the quality of most of my little kid movies to preserve space (since the little kids aren't picky).

There are lots of free tools out there to accomplish this. You could probably save some time by paying for one tool that can do it all in one step.

As for storage, we threw away all the cases and just store the DVDs in a binder in our storage room. We only get them out for car trips for use with portable DVD players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I recently bought some 2TB external drives and so have just begun my ripping odyssey. They actually run as 1.8TB but what's a little bare-faced lying between retailers and customers. Yes, I know about the bytes.

So I looked a little more and now I understand what you all meant.

I got DVD Decrypter to rip the DVDs, which does take about 5 minutes each if that. This gives me a folder for the DVd of around 6GB. Then I use Handbrake to convert them in to MP4s, which are watchable. So I get a file of around 1.5GB. That takes around 2-3 hours for each one, so I use Handbrake to queue them up to run over night. Once I check them, I can delete the 6GB folders. Currently I'm just doing British films, so when I get onto the foreign ones, I'll need to incorporate the subtitles to the conversion. Hints on that would be super.

Of course, there's no way I would let any of you have any copies of what I'm doing because I'm a decent honest person so don't even ask. And I hate Dropbox and was very happy to destall it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Currently I'm just doing British films, so when I get onto the foreign ones, I'll need to incorporate the subtitles to the conversion. Hints on that would be super.

The very easiest way to do this is to download somebody else's subtitle file. Seriously; messing with subtitles is a pain, regardless of the software you use. Especially if the DVD you have is English, but also contains forced subtitles (the ones you see anyway, because there's a section of some of language in the audio).

I heard good things of Handbrake many years ago - perhaps it can deal with the subs easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I've used SRTs on other files, you just need it in the same folder as the film, with an identical filename, and VLC picks it up automatically.

But it does mean getting the SRT which is in itself not a disaster, but if the thing is on the disc I'm ripping... Further, and this is annoying, getting the SRT to synch with the video is a pain. I'm constantly fiddling with the setting in VLC and even then it's always a fraction out which ruins the immersion, such little that I get from sitting in front of a monitor with earplugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
In the case, sorted by case color. Very nice to see on the shelf, but requires excellent knowledge of your collection if you want to find something.

You know you have too many dvds when you find it easier and quicker to download a movie than to find it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.