Subject: Great Game, but? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Book of the Dead. You know? There are lots of cool card effects in the game, but after you've played a few times it becomes pretty obvious that Book of the Dead, especially combined with the repetition amulet(s), is regardless of all other considerations, always and forever, the right call to make.

The single only reason NOT to get Book of the Dead is to purposefully handicap yourself. That's rarely a good sign for game health.

I'm to the point now where this card needs to go in order to keep the game fun/competitve. I don't want to just delete them though because of the color mix, so does anyone have any ideas for an ability? Maybe IT gets entombed with the card it effects?

Again, cool game, certainly the best game in this price range, but I feel this tweak needs making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noonan
United States
Clayville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
"The druid said the damned thing was friendly... HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW!!!”
badge
Don't poke the Owlbear...
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a brutal combo, but can be overcome with solid play. If you can double up on either the amulet or the book, it is very tough to top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootstraps wrote:
It is a brutal combo, but can be overcome with solid play. If you can double up on either the amulet or the book, it is very tough to top.

How? How does one stop a five or six card deck (fairly easy to achieve, even more so two handed) with four Book of the Dead card effects. Even three?!

This is not rhetoric, I honestly want to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Navajas

I agree that Book of the Dead is quite powerful. And in combo with the Tyet Amulet, it is even more powerful. Getting both copies of the Book (they are expensive)and the Amulet should be something of a challenge, unless your opponents have fallen asleep.

Is it too powerful? The jury is out on that.

Nevertheless, I won't be offended if you choose to take it down a peg. If you do, I suggest adding "Discard a card" to the action description.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Adams
United States
Medina
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just use Shabtis to sacrifice it before anyone else can get it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many ways it acquire cards without spending gold for them that it seems the turn Book comes out it is snapped up. Why would you destroy it, even if you did still have Shabtis in your deck, when you could acquire it and win the game?

Agreed, if for some reason you can not acquire it if it comes out on your turn then you absolutely MUST destroy it if at all possible, but I find this is usually not the case. It is just sort of a lottery one the IIIs start coming out.

Have not had a chance to play again with the above suggestion by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noonan
United States
Clayville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
"The druid said the damned thing was friendly... HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW!!!”
badge
Don't poke the Owlbear...
mbmbmbmbmb
Book of the Dead is the lightning rod of the game - buy it or smoke it. I keep Shabti in my deck late for this specific purpose. I still feel that the Tyet Amulet is the most powerful card in the game - tied to "The Book" it is incredible. Don't forget, the power of the book is that it takes the cheapest card - feed the crap to it by working around that and grabbing sets. The book's feeding habits are fairly random - play to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.