Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game of Keyflower will be tomorrow, so my apologies if this appears obvious after first play, but why are certain boats only used in certain player counts? For two, the rules would have me always playing with the Sea Bastion and Keyflower, but isn't the important part the number available opposed to the identity?

Would something break if, as a variant, you randomly selected X number of boats for a session, with X being dependent on player count? That way you might have Keyflower and Sea Breeze, or Sea Bastian and [insert the name of another boat HERE], instead of fixed identities for every game.

Am I missing something? They all seem to offer relatively similar Meeple and skill rewards, but their Winter usefulness varies in an intriguing way.

p.s. two one additional questions before my game tomorrow:

1. Do winter boats get selected like normal winter tiles (tossed in the middle and directly voted on), or are they still selected at round end based on the turn order tile auction? I'm 99% sure it is the latter, but wanted to ask. (yeah, I checked the rules on this).

2. This game has a lot of little rule exceptions. I just wanted to clarify: besides wheat, meeples and skill tiles, no other resources should ever be behind the player screen, correct? You will never have free floating iron, wood, gold or stone, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could randomize the boats but they are specifically balanced for player counts. The boats all have a season where they flip and become much less desirable. As I recall some of the boats that only come out in 5 & 6 player game flip as early as summer. this creates an incentive for people to be bidding on boat selection order else they end up with a bad boat at the end of a season.

as for items hidden behind the screen, wheat, skill tiles & meeples are it. this excludes the 1st player meeple which should be visible at all times. as for resources, they will always be located on a tile. they cannot be free floating as you described. the only exception to this is that the 1st player token can be declared as any resource at the end of the game. at that point you can relocate it anywhere you need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I wouldn't mess with randomization. Not only do you the amount of keyples and skills, but it also dictates which winter bonuses tiles are in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.