Subject: This vs. Soccer Tactics World vs. Street Soccer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this in the Tactics forum but this game seems to have more activity. Can anyone who's played more than one of the above comment / review or compare the games? Which do you like better? What's more soccer-y? Fun?

Is there another better game not listed?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Street Soccer (which I like just fine) and Soccero. Soccero is the much better game for me and my group. I've taught it to many non-soccer folks and they'll still play if asked!

Street Soccer is way quicker, and a similar movement puzzle. Good one for kids, due to the quicker play time. (I've played with team members between games at travel soccer tournaments).

But Soccero just simulates the sport better for me. It, too, is a giant puzzle needing to be figured out, almost a logic-problem at times, but it just feels more like a soccer match.

I own both and wouldn't get rid of either.

You didn't ask, but Subbuteo is the King of soccer/futbal games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. I left of Subbuteo on purpose as I'm not considering it. I want something at which my boys (one of whom, my nine year old, is a soccer fanatic) and the rest of us can all compete.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Englund
Finland
Mäntsälä
flag msg tools
mbmb
Street Soccer is quite simple, hasn't got full teams and you really can't strategize much.

Soccer Tactics World is a bit more advanced, but still lacks many maneuvers that are possible in Soccero. It is more for kids.

For me Soccero is the most interesting of these three. With advanced rules it has the tactics of the real game and it has great components.

There are similarities of the gameplay in basic rules of Soccero and Soccer Tactics World, but I rather play Soccero with basic rules if I want to play a soccer game with children. With advanced rules Soccero is the best soccer/football board game I played so far.

SOCCERChess was quite interesting also, but it had some irritating flaws...

Soccer City also looks interesting, but it has not been released in English and as the Kickstarted failed to fund, it looks it will take a while to be released. I have not played it, looks interesting, but it does not have full 11 man teams like Soccero, which is a minus for me.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elege/soccer-city-the-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite sure why soccer city doesn't have 11 per side. It has 9 per side right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. During game it is 6 player plus goalie. Why not make the pitch a little bigger and have 11 on each side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Englund
Finland
Mäntsälä
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
Why not make the pitch a little bigger and have 11 on each side?

Good question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well. When I get the print and play files from the Kickstarter I will tell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
janenglund wrote:
For me Soccero is the most interesting of these three. With advanced rules it has the tactics of the real game and it has great components.

There are similarities of the gameplay in basic rules of Soccero and Soccer Tactics World, but I rather play Soccero with basic rules if I want to play a soccer game with children. With advanced rules Soccero is the best soccer/football board game I played so far.

This is my main concern. If the game doesn't "feel" like soccer, my nine year old will blast it. I've heard lots about Street Soccer as the go to "game" with a soccer theme, but it doesn't look like soccer. My son would want to mimic brilliant runs, passes into space, pull off an offside trap, things like that. Sound like Soccero might be the choice for that kind of thing.

The card play in Soccer City looks like it might hold some of that though.

Hmm...

EDIT: Oh my God. The Soccer City rule back says the board is made up of "hexagonal squares". AAAahhhh!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
:-)

Yeah. Could have gone with squares and had 8 way movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
janenglund wrote:
Dnasearchr wrote:
Why not make the pitch a little bigger and have 11 on each side?

Good question.

Found out. The designers said turns became too long because you needed to move at least 5 players a turn. Slowed the game down and list the feel of playing soccer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrythesecond
United Kingdom
Camborne
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
A future player sleeps...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys.

Have you had a look at FUBA?

With the new v2.0 rules it's really starting to shape up well and the designers are still keen to improve the game further.

Jay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I ended up getting Soccero for my son's 10th birthday, and he LOVES it. I'm quite happy with it as well. It basically covers everything I could hope for from a soccer game with a elegant set of very few rules (much like the real thing!).

I knew I had made the right choice when I tested my son by putting three guys on the same row as his last defender with a man threatening down the touch line with the ball. He rolled for movement and sat there puzzling. I saw a light go on as he reached for his last defender and moved him up a single space, "Ha! Look Dad, now all those guys are offside!"

Really fun game. Thanks for the above discussion.

Cheers,

navajas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.