Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Space Hulk (fourth edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Practicing for 4th edition painting on 1st edition termie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't painted much for several years (other than a handful of skeletons for D&D), so I decided to practice for my 4th edition miniatures by painting a 1st edition termie, everything from priming up through clear coat. Here is the completed 1st edition marine (minus the clear coat).





There isn't nearly as much detail on these as the 3rd/4th edition terminators, so it was easy to get started.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's the first completed 4th edition termie (Omnio).





I also have 4 more terminators basecoated, shaded, and highlighted as far as armor goes. I hope to get those completed soon.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt spearin
msg tools
Looks great!
I'm actually using a set of 1st edition metal Terminators from an old Rogue Trader box set, painted straight out of the Deathwing expansion rulebook (glyphs and all). I have a real soft spot for the old minis.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spirit_light_speed wrote:
Looks great!


Thanks!

Quote:
I'm actually using a set of 1st edition metal Terminators from an old Rogue Trader box set, painted straight out of the Deathwing expansion rulebook (glyphs and all). I have a real soft spot for the old minis.


I do too. While I like the look of 2nd edition and 3rd/4th edition terminators overall much better than 1st edition terminators, I'll always have a soft spot for the 1st edition ones, too, since they were the first ones I ever saw and played the game with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent start.

I'd recomden a brown wash, should help with the colour depth, shading, & definition, while not much extra work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
An excellent start.

I'd recomden a brown wash, should help with the colour depth, shading, & definition, while not much extra work.


I actually used Agrax Earthshade for both terminators in those pictures, but it doesn't show up that well in the pics (you can see it in the detail of the right back foot and the eyes of the skull on the right hand).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alienux wrote:
Slev wrote:
An excellent start.

I'd recomden a brown wash, should help with the colour depth, shading, & definition, while not much extra work.


I actually used Agrax Earthshade for both terminators in those pictures, but it doesn't show up that well in the pics (you can see it in the detail of the right back foot and the eyes of the skull on the right hand).


OK then, improve your photography instead

You can further use Nuln Oil on the silver and a mix of Baal Red and Agrax Eathshade on the gold.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:

OK then, improve your photography instead


I'm not a photographer, so I'm not too worried about it laugh

I actually did use the Agrax on the gold parts, but it didn't make much difference for some reason (it works great on bone and silver when I use it on those colors), so I'll try your suggestion about mixing with Baal Red to see if it makes more of a difference.

Slev wrote:
You can further use Nuln Oil on the silver and a mix of Baal Red and Agrax Eathshade on the gold.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some times you need to vuild up several thin coats of wash.

The method is easier with inks, but inks are faaaaar less forgiving a medium to work with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not getting enough time to work on these as I'd like, but I've made a little progress on 5 more marines. Here are a couple I'm working on right now (these have been inked on the red armor, and have had some highlighting, but no ink/wash or highlighting on the gold or black).





I also added more ink to the gold on Omnio. This gold that i'm using doesn't take ink as well as my other paint colors, but laying the model on it's back helped it to stay in the right places.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.