Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Green
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we reading this right that Jenny gets a pawn but all she does is rest? What a loser.

Can you put pawns on the hunting action if there's no beasts in the hunting deck (resolving the threat "Dangerous Night" would add a beast to the deck)?

When drawing mystery cards... How the hell does it work? We've been ignoring unmentioned types (so if it says draw 2 treasures, you continue drawing until you hit 2 treasures) and treating it like a "push-your-luck" mechanic (eg. 2 treasures and 1 monster, if you draw 1 treasure you can stop, or draw more, but if you hit the monster, you have to stop.) Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenny is not a loser, she is one of the Others. Be careful what you say about her, or she will feed you to the smoke monster!
Otherwise yes, she needs to heal, and nothing else. Because she is hurt.

You can put pawns there. Briefly. Than take them away and put them somewhere else, as they realize they don't know where to look for animals, because none have been discovered yet. Pawns are not in the habit of going out into the jungle on a whim with spears...
...so no, you can't...

Very good, Jim. Carry on pushing your luck!
Means you did marvellously!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CunningAllusionment wrote:

When drawing mystery cards... How the hell does it work? We've been ignoring unmentioned types (so if it says draw 2 treasures, you continue drawing until you hit 2 treasures) and treating it like a "push-your-luck" mechanic (eg. 2 treasures and 1 monster, if you draw 1 treasure you can stop, or draw more, but if you hit the monster, you have to stop.) Is this correct?

Dumon is not quite right. But probably only because he didn't read it properly
In your second example (2 treasures, 1 monster), you draw cards. You hit a treasure - Great! Now you can stop. So far so good. But you decided to carry on. Now you draw a monster. Bad, but thats life. But hey, there is a bright side: There are no more monsters in this cave. So you can continue to draw cards unworried until you find your 2nd treasure.
If you drew your 2 treasures first, you can of course also stop before hitting the monster card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renni Honkanen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that really correct? I thought that you have to draw one of each of the mentioned types from the mystery deck before you may decide to stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then it wouldn't be a "push your luck" mechanic, wouldn't it?
But this is what the designer intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renni Honkanen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This ones from the FAQ on this site
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/84727/faq-robinson

"When a card tells me to draw 3 mystery cards and resolve one monster and 2 treasures (example in the rulebook, p. 16) can I decide to draw no cards at all or do I have to resolve at least one card?
You have to resolve at least one card of each specified type."

BUT, from the rules:
"Example: You have to draw 3 Mystery Cards, but only resolve
1 Monster and 2 Treasures. You draw the rst Mystery card – It’s
a Trap... so you ignore it. e second card is a Treasure, so you
resolve it. Having resolved 1 Mystery card, you can now decide to:
(a) stop drawing cards
, or (b) continue until you draw and resolve a
Monster/Treasure. You decide to continue. e third card is another
Trap, so you ignore it. e fourth card is a Monster, which you also
have to resolve. Aer that, you can decide to stop drawing, but the
only card le to resolve is a Treasure, meaning that you can draw
Mystery cards until you nd a Treasure and ignore everything else."

Ok, I believe you guys now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renni Honkanen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Franklin1742 wrote:

Clearly there is a conflict. But, out of curiosity, since the FAQ was also apparently written by the designer, presumably some time after the rulebook, why do you reject that?

Oh, didn't know it was by the designer?

Now I'm confused. But I can think the option in the rules thematically better fitting than the one in FAQ.

Say you go to a cave or temple through the entrance and find a treasure just by the door. Then you decide that this is enough, fearing the dark inside. You don't have to go deep enough to get bitten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was already established that the FAQ has multiple inconsistencies with one or more of the official rule sets that exist at this point. Further note that this is a FAQ, not an Errata. It is not supposed to introduce new rules but to clarify existing ones (where it failes sometimes miserably).
So, alone from this, I would suggest sticking to the rule book.

As the thematic reasoning: Mostly the "cave" thematic is quite fitting and should be enough to explain most cases, because usually you ARE exploring a cave. When the card tells you to "Draw 3 Mystery cards" - it does tell you how "deep" the cave is, not that you are already down the hole. It just tells you to draw 3 mystery cards. If you are instructed to "resolve 1 monster and 2 treasures" it tells you what there is in the cave overall. If you draw 3 traps now - it just means that you can ignore those cards, because there are no traps in this cave. Just draw until you find something that you are supposed to resolve. If its a treasure: great. If its a monster: not so great. But after you resolved 1 monster, there are no more monsters in this cave. Even if you draw 2 more, they are just cards that have nothing to do with your adventure in the cave, so ignore them - just like all the trap cards that could come up.

After all: From a designers perspective - You could also separate the deck into 3 distinct decks of monsters, traps and treasures. This would be easier to handle and to explain, but you would lose the "push-your-luck"-element. And Ignacy is not known for going the easy road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, ultimatly I cannot say anything more, because the German cards are worded strongly different. "Old Hut" for example says something like:
"Decide: Discard this card or draw mystery cards and resolve up to 1 Treasure and 1 Monster..."
Especially note the word "up to" here. It also does not tell you a total you are supposed to draw. So you ultimately have the choice of not drawing any cards or drawing cards until you found at least 1 treasure, or 1 monster, or both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.