Popular Tags: [View All]
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dropbox pictures are not available to people not using Dropbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Kronberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The words "or one edge away" are a bit misleading as the player in the lower example should not explored a third river tile.

The idea of the rule is:
"if it is possible to place a new river tile in away that it is adjacent to your prospector and enlengthening the river than you have to do it.

This is only possible at the 4 intersections with numbers in the upper example.

And in special cases at a 5th intersection right in front of the river end.

If you have a better idea how to write this rule please post it.

A second problem wit the rule is that at 3 and 4 it is possipble to draw a river tile which can't be placed adjacent to the prospector.

But it should be placed as otherwise the river could end very early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorota wrote:
In the pic below, the blue meeple moved to that intersection and then explored 2 river tiles (one with "?" and another with "2" on it).

After explored that 2 river tiles,the player was still located at the intersection that is one edge away(to the upper-right corner of the river tile with "2" on it) an unexplored section of the river .

Is it legal that the player put the third river tile(with "1" on it)?

The simple answer to this question is "no". Let me try to explain why.

I think what Roland means is this:
1) If in doubt, ignore the wording in the rules and see the picture in the rules. The four spots indicated are the only spots from which you have to explore the river first.
2) The wording in the rules is misleading, but simple. The "accurate" wording should run something like this:
3) "You should explore the river first if and only if there is a possibility that after placing the next river tile it will touch the location where your prospector is currently located".
4) This would be more accurate, but it sounds awful. And that's why they stuck with the original misleading wording. Which, of course, does not make it simple for those who try to understand the words literally.

P.S.:
5) There is also a rare situation where you would have to explore the river if you are 1 edge away from the river mouth but there is no actual edge, because there is no tile there yet. And in such a case you must also explore the river first, because otherwise you can block the river mouth by placing a land tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Kronberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mikhail got it like we play it.

For me the heart of the exploration rule is just that you have to discover the unexplored space around your prospector and nothing else.

In your example, if you place the third river tile in the other direction (turn right) you would have to place a forth river tile and maybe a 5th which are all not necessarily touching your prospector.

I wouldn't like this and it could lead to a vey fast exploration of the whole river, but it shouldn't kill the game if you really like to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Kronberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe the rule should be introduced the other way round:

spot 1 and 2 are easy.: explore the river first.
spot 3 and 4 are tricky: if you were allowed in these spots to explore land tiles first it'd be really easy to kill the river.

thus we introduced a special rule for exact these 2 spots: explore the river.

and in your lower example after placing the questionmark river tile you are in spot 1 and have to place a second tile. after placing the straight left you are no longer in spot 1, 2, 3 or 4 and thus have to place a land tile or a triangle if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finhisky
Taiwan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou all guys. One of the best and useful thread about river tiles in the forum.

magnitt wrote:

3) "You should explore the river first if and only if there is a possibility that after placing the next river tile it will touch the location where your prospector is currently located".
4) This would be more accurate, but it sounds awful. And that's why they stuck with the original misleading wording. Which, of course, does not make it simple for those who try to understand the words literally.

It's not awful at all. Accurate rlues are the best rules.

How about this?
If the prospector is located at the intersection where can place a dimond tile both adjacent to the prospector and the river (not river tile but the river on the tile).

Then, you must first explore the river.The player draws a face-down river tile and place it lengthens the river without routing it into an existing land tile and that is adjacent to the prospector if possible.

I think this rule fits all the examples in the thread. Is the wording accurate or misleading for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Spots 3 and 4 are usually the farthest someone goes because it's a pain to stray too far from the river, but feasibly a team of 2 both with horses could try to explore from spots along the edge above 3 and 4 just off the top and right side of the picture and place tiles that completely prevent more than 1 river tile from being placed. So I think you also need a general rule - "Don't purposefully try to block up the damn river or an ice block will fall on your head."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Kronberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Testwise we tried killing the river several times in early games. It was a pain and killed a great part of the fun from the game especially with the old triangle exploration rule very dull games appeared.

Nowadays - especially with newbies - I try to prevent it by leading the river away from the bluff or the virtual border and some times I discard a river tile to do this.

Maybe a hint in this way should be included in the rule, but a hard rule seems to me to be a contradiction to the idea of exploration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Kronberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like to have "more" river in the game you can use the river junction and bandit springs from the bandit expansion like we do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.