Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve M
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Setting the stage:
A man was wrongly accused of a murder many years ago and now haunts the halls of house. The owner of the house has called in psychics to find the true murderer. Each night the ghost speaks to the psychics through their dreams trying to tell his story.

Set-up
The game is set-up by laying out a variety of weapon, location, and suspect cards. This requires drawing randomly from a deck of roughly 20 cards for each then finding the matching ones in a second deck. After this the ghost randomly makes one set for each psychic. The rest set out to confuse the psychics. This process takes about 5 minutes.

The game is played over multiple rounds (nights). Each night the ghosts gives the psychic as many dream cards as they want to try and guide the psychic towards their target. Each round plays quickly, about 5 minutes, leading to a game of roughly 35-45 minutes if you end up in overtime.

Difficulty:
The difficultly is easily adjustable each game. Based on the number of people you can add extra cards for each weapon, location, and suspect to completely confuse the psychics making the game harder.

Replay-ability:
There are roughly 20 of each weapon, location, and suspect card. This adds a ton of variety. Even after half a dozen plays we are still seeing new cards. I can see the possibility that if the same group plays multiple times (10+) that the same combination of cards would come out allowing quick identification since it has previously been used to match a set of cards. They has not happened to us yet.

Artwork:
This is tied for me with Dixit as the best artwork I have seen in a game. I focus heavily on artwork when selecting a game, and you wont be disappointed with this set. I also believe that the 80 ghost cards could be used as a drop in replacement for Dixit cards for a little cross gaming expansion.

Durability:
The card stock used here is not the highest quality I have seen. After a few shuffles the ghost deck is a little warped. The weapon deck uses tiny cards which take more abuse when they are shuffled. This game is not like Dominion where you will be shuffling multiple times per game so I expect a good lifespan for the cards.

Overall:
Coop games can tend to have a single alpha wolf that runs the game, with everybody else just watching. We have not experienced that here. Everybody can provide a unique perspective or catch details others have overlooked. There is a reason this game was #2 at BGGCon, and sold out after 3 days there. There is plenty of depth for experienced gamers, yet it is easy enough for first timers to jump in and enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never been surprised by a game like I was with this one. I went into it thinking that it was one of the sacrifices friends make for each other (my buddy wanted to play and I didn't).

I loved it! It was the game of the Con for me, even beating out Imperial Assault.

I just wish I could find a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
at present, getting a copy requires shiping from Europe.

I have a copy coming from Poland - $63.50 (there's a thread about availability from Poland, Ukraine, and soon maybe Italy)

it will be a gift for my wife - Dixit is her favorite game and I'm hoping she will like Mysterium - because I think I could tolerate it better than Dixit! lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're in luck. I didn't care much for Dixit but I really like Mysterium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.