Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Assault on Doomrock» Forums » Rules

Subject: ?s: Using a Spellbook on 1s if no 1-Abilities / Panic Attack 1s & 6s rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Mage use the Spellbook on Dice that have not been assigned to cards? i.e., to turn a 1 into a 6 if the Mage has no Abilities on which to place the 1? It seems like no, since the Mage would not be able to use the card until the Initiative Phase, however that makes the ability rather limiting.

---

On tangentially related lines...for Panic attack, if you reroll and get a 1 or 6, can you elect to get Shields / Heroism?

---

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Niewiadomski
Poland
Lodz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can the Mage use the Spellbook on Dice that have not been assigned to cards? i.e., to turn a 1 into a 6 if the Mage has no Abilities on which to place the 1? It seems like no, since the Mage would not be able to use the card until the Initiative Phase, however that makes the ability rather limiting.

You are correct, he can't use this ability before the initiative starts, so he can't turn unassigned dice.
Additionally, you can't reassign a dice that was not assigned, so that's a double no

Quote:
On tangentially related lines...for Panic attack, if you reroll and get a 1 or 6, can you elect to get Shields / Heroism?

No, you need to assign these dice to abilities, and gaining shield/heroism is considered spending the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow-up questions regarding the Spellbook / Assigning Dice:

------

If you have a 6 on the Ray of Doom and a 4 on the Spellbook (and no 1-Abilities though, I'm not sure if that is relevant), can you Rotate the 6 to a 1 and then Spend it on a Shield?

I'm attempting to suss these answers out through a literal interpretation of page 16, however this page seems to say you do the following, in order:

1) Assign dice to cards.
2) Unassigned dice (which would include all unassigned 1s and 6s) are immediately considered spent.
3) At end of Roll phase, you may spend dice results of 1s and 6s on shields / heroism (but they would be gone already, due to #2, so this would mean you spend these from the cards themselves).

The above way clearly isn't as intended, however. I assume it is something like:

1) Assign Dice to Cards.
2) Spend unassigned 1s and 6s on Shields / Heroism.
3) Spend remaining Unassigned dice on nothing.

...with the ambiguity, however, it is difficult to discern the answer to the more general question: Is "spending for shields / heroism" an option always connected to "assigning" dice (and therefore "reassigning" dice). From the Panic Attack answer above, It sounds like "No".

-----

For the sake of completeness (and perhaps to avoid a Steal), can you rotate the die, and then leave it unassigned, spending it on nothing?

------

Can you Rotate another Player's die? I would not have thought so (cards that say "perform a move" do not say "with your hero", but I would think you could not maneuver another hero). However, there is a post ( http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14893329#14893329 ) that says otherwise. The post could be out of date, however. Though, the card does say "Support".

------

...if you CAN reassign another player's die, can you reassign it to yourself (or a different other player)?

------

...wait a sec...for that matter, I'm not even seeing rules explicitly stating you're required to assign your dice to your own abilities under normal circumstances! Is that the case, or have we been restricting ourselves all this time?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Niewiadomski
Poland
Lodz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a bit sleepy, so pardon me if I write something that doesn't make much sense
Quote:
If you have a 6 on the Ray of Doom and a 4 on the Spellbook (and no 1-Abilities though, I'm not sure if that is relevant), can you Rotate the 6 to a 1 and then Spend it on a Shield?

Spending dice and assigning them are two separate things. You can't assing them to a heroism or shield, with Spellbook, you are reassigning them, and gaining shields/heroism in this manner requires you to spend them.

Quote:
I'm attempting to suss these answers out through a literal interpretation of page 16, however this page seems to say you do the following, in order:

1) Assign dice to cards.
2) Unassigned dice (which would include all unassigned 1s and 6s) are immediately considered spent.
3) At end of Roll phase, you may spend dice results of 1s and 6s on shields / heroism (but they would be gone already, due to #2, so this would mean you spend these from the cards themselves).

The above way clearly isn't as intended, however. I assume it is something like:

1) Assign Dice to Cards.

Literally, you are right! And that is why we need to change it a bit in new version of the rulebook

Of course, unassigned dice are considered spent after you spend them on heroism and shields.

Quote:
For the sake of completeness (and perhaps to avoid a Steal), can you rotate the die, and then leave it unassigned, spending it on nothing?

If the card instructs you to reassign it, you need to assign it after rotating.

Quote:
Can you Rotate another Player's die? I would not have thought so (cards that say "perform a move" do not say "with your hero", but I would think you could not maneuver another hero). However, there is a post ( http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14893329#14893329 ) that says otherwise. The post could be out of date, however. Though, the card does say "Support".

Yes, you can rotate another hero's dice.

Quote:
...if you CAN reassign another player's die, can you reassign it to yourself (or a different other player)?

No, only to the original owner.

Quote:
...wait a sec...for that matter, I'm not even seeing rules explicitly stating you're required to assign your dice to your own abilities under normal circumstances! Is that the case, or have we been restricting ourselves all this time?!

No, it's only a badly written rule, that most of the players (even we, the developers), will not notice

In roll phase, you can only assign dice from your pool to your own cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Much thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
So just to be sure, this is how you handle the dice?

Quote:

1) Assign Dice to Cards.

And the Spellbook can't be used on unassigned dice that get spent at 3)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Niewiadomski
Poland
Lodz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
So just to be sure, this is how you handle the dice?

Quote:

1) Assign Dice to Cards.

And the Spellbook can't be used on unassigned dice that get spent at 3)?

Exactly. Thumbing up to the heavens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's such a bummer that the spellbook can't fix ray of doom. It seems like that's the whole point of the mage's starting powers, but really he wants to find a 1 ability so he has something to rotate to a six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Niewiadomski
Poland
Lodz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that hard rolling one six for your entire dice pool if you don't have other offensive abilities. With spellbook, you can use the Ray in initiative, and it's one of the best abilities to take away these few last health points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks for the tip. I'm still learning and getting clobbered so maybe I'll come around as I play more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to reiterate one point that was covered above, Scott: The Spellbook ability to rotate dice can be used on any die, not just the mage's, and that makes this ability significantly better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that actually hadn't even occurred to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And is it OK to rotate and reassign a locked die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. Can the warrior activate Tank and benefit from its effects, and then have the die rotated and reassigned to his primary attack?

I don't see why not by a strict reading of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Wątorski
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
Do you wanna play a game?
badge
We are all prisoners inside the cage of our own flesh.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also thinking about using the Spellbook on a locked die, but I just assumed that you cannot do it since the die is locked and stays on the card. Would be nice if Tom could tell if this is correct or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Niewiadomski
Poland
Lodz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
And is it OK to rotate and reassign a locked die?

Yes. Spellbook reassigns a die, this means, it needs to be assigned somewhere first. Locked die is threated as assigned die.

But, once you remove the locked die, the ability stops providing with its effects. Let's follow this up with an example.

Ridiculously Armored hero activates his Shut the Helmet (StH for short) ability. He locks a die on the cards during rolling phase. Now, at the start of the round, he gains one shield (from StH). During initiative, mage rotates his die assigned to StH, and reassigns it to another card.
From this point on, the Rid. Armored hero can't benefit from other effects of the StH, but is free from the restrictions as well.

Fnar wrote:
Good question. Can the warrior activate Tank and benefit from its effects, and then have the die rotated and reassigned to his primary attack?

I don't see why not by a strict reading of the rules.

He can't, as Tank is not locking a die. You use it like a normal ability, by removing dice from the card.

In addition, remember about the new version of the rulebook and changed Charges rule (these small rune symbols on ability cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today i watched a youtube video of Tom, where he demonstrates a battle. In this video he uses the spellbook to turn a 1 into a 6 to gain a heroism marker. I guess this is an old rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Niewiadomski
Poland
Lodz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adjacentbeastman wrote:
Today i watched a youtube video of Tom, where he demonstrates a battle. In this video he uses the spellbook to turn a 1 into a 6 to gain a heroism marker. I guess this is an old rule?

Which Tom, the designer or Tom Vasel?

Either way, this is not allowed in the game. I just don't know if it was a minor mistake made by the reviewer or a very old rule that is no longer in the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avdima wrote:
adjacentbeastman wrote:

Which Tom, the designer or Tom Vasel?

Either way, this is not allowed in the game. I just don't know if it was a minor mistake made by the reviewer or a very old rule that is no longer in the game

It was Tom the Designer on his Indiegogo video.

okay thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the correction. I misremembered Tank as a locked ability because I always leave the 1 on it to remind me of the added threat.

Although last night I put a ! marker on the warrior instead, so with these tweaked reassignment rules for dice steals and charges I'll probably switch to that method for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.