Greg Romans
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Encroaching Darkness is a Darkness card that remains in play and forces the Heroes to subtract 1 from the Hold Back the Darkness Roll ("the Roll").

Page 10 of the Rulebook seems clear that natural doubles on the Roll cause a depth test.

I assume then that Encroaching Darkness has no effect on natural doubles rolled for the Roll. In other words I assume that one does not subtract 1 from a double thereby preventing a Depth test.

Agree or Disagree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kosman
United States
JB MDL
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent question and while I have no official affiliation with FFP, I would agree with you. The "Doubles" doesn't change when you reduce the value by one.

I would say that the Depth Event would trump the failure because of Doubles in that instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree, it will not prevent the depth event from occurring.

though it might affect any other effect which checks the actual value rolled
for example if a hero has the madness effect "its coming for you!" where he receives sanity damage if the darkness roll fails; if the posse marker is in the middle section you need to roll 8+ to succeed, so if you roll double 4's the depth event is triggered as normal but the hero will need to roll for the sanity damage as the actual result of the roll is 7 which is a fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
i agree, it will not prevent the depth event from occurring.

though it might affect any other effect which checks the actual value rolled
for example if a hero has the madness effect "its coming for you!" where he receives sanity damage if the darkness roll fails; if the posse marker is in the middle section you need to roll 8+ to succeed, so if you roll double 4's the depth event is triggered as normal but the hero will need to roll for the sanity damage as the actual result of the roll is 7 which is a fail.

but rolling any double doesn't count as a failure on the darkness roll I thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The exact verbiage from the rulebook (pg. 10) is:

"Even if the roll would normally have failed, instead of moving the Darkness Marker, consult the Depth Event Chart to see what has happened (the Depth Event Chart can be found on one of the large reference cards)."

My interpretation would be that a roll of double 3's, for example, would still technically count as a failure for triggering card effects. The only difference is that a failed HBtD when doubles are rolled does not result in the Darkness Marker moving, but I think it's still a failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Shawn pointed out, doubles simply does 2 things:

1) Automatically causes the Holding Back the Darkness test to fail (i.e. double 5's or double 4's still fail, even if they are above the test threshold)
2) Replaces movement on the Depth Track with the Depth Chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
1) Automatically causes the Holding Back the Darkness test to fail (i.e. double 5's or double 4's still fail, even if they are above the test threshold)

Where does it say this? The rulebook says "Even if the roll would have normally failed," implying that regardless of the HBtD roll (failure or success) the Darkness Marker doesn't move and a Depth Event occurs. There are only two short paragraphs in the Depth Events section but no mention of an automatic HBtD failure on doubles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as shawn states, rolling doubles only prevents the darkness token to move on the depth track, but the actual result will still be a win or failure and may trigger certain side-effects
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.