Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
A very quick, simple question: given the choice between re-rolling a green dice or a red dice, is it always best to go for the red dice (as it improves your defence anyway). I've only played once, but couldn't see any reason for re-rolling green dice unless there were no other dice to re-roll. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Cheers all,

Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
In PvP combat is it usually better to re-roll green as it removes a ranged hit and attrition.

If rolling a red die can trigger a monster/boss/overlord special ability, it might be safer to re-roll a green.

Mike Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
If rolling a red die can trigger a monster/boss/overlord special ability, it might be safer to re-roll a green.

This is the major point. Almost every monster special ability, save a few that work on all dice, activate on red and blue only. I've only played 4 times, but it only takes once to re-roll a blue and get a 1 for you to start grabbing for the greens in the re-roll phase.

Also, in a group, balance is important. If the other characters in your group don't roll greens, it's important to get as many shields as you can while you're rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mangler103 wrote:
Also, in a group, balance is important. If the other characters in your group don't roll greens, it's important to get as many shields as you can while you're rolling.

No, it's not. Except in PvP (which is totally different for some reason), red hits are always better than green hits, no matter how many red hits you already have. There's no advantage to "balance".

Not triggering special abilities is a good reason, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
mangler103 wrote:

No, it's not. Except in PvP (which is totally different for some reason), red hits are always better than green hits, no matter how many red hits you already have. There's no advantage to "balance".

Not triggering special abilities is a good reason, though.

I meant to say defense instead of "greens". Whoops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cole
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say yes sometimes it is worth rerolling Green rather than Red.

It does all come down to circumstance though. If you're fighting a creature who's special ability will activate on a Red dice (which is a lot of them) then you want to take a number fo things into account.

I tend to look at it the following way - if I reroll 'x' number of Red dice can I finish this combat this round? If the answer is yes I then tend to look at my characters health. Can I take the damage if the monsters ability kicks in? If again the answer is yes, I probably would reroll the Red dice, as the risks aren't too great, and are outweighed by the benfits.

If I answer yes to the first and no to the second I start to consider rerolling Green instead. If the answer is No to both I always pick the Green dice. If the answer is no to the first and yes to the second I still tend to go for the Green Dice - why risk activating that special ability if there's no chance I'll take the monster out this turn anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also sometimes your own abilities are decisive factors, especially with cards from the Shadow of War or Burning Crusade expansions.

To take a couple ideas: the shaman can transform any green 5+ into a hit, with Lightning shield.
If you don't have any green 5+ yet, or if all your 5+ are actually 7+ against a threat 7 monster, perhaps there's value in rerolling that green.
It "hits" (gets converted) on a 5+ where for any other dice, you need 7+

Another example is the Mage's level 6 talent called Arctic Winds.
You can modify four green dice by one, or even one green dice by 4.
If you have a green die currently showing a 1, it can only improve in your reroll. (And if you reroll to get a green 1, that's better than rerolling to get a red/blue 1 in most cases.)

So the answer to your question is that yes, if you have a choice just between getting one more melee token in defence, or one more armour token in defence, the melee token is better.
However there can be other things to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.