Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a blast being Geek of the Week! Much thanks to Damien for the honor and thanks to everyone I got to interact with - I loved answering your questions.

And now I'd like to pass the honor of BGG Geek of the Week to:
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb

I first met Carrie in the Women & Gaming forum, but it was her constant activity in the design forum that really caught my attention. She's always so involved in the challenges presented there. And she's always spreading the word about a variety of activities happening across the site. So please welcome your next GotW!

Quote:
Thank you Sarah! I'm honored to have been chosen to follow such a great geek!

Not only have I participated in her Play 10 Games 10 Times challenge (I'm so close to being done!), but we have played several RPGs together over on RPGgeek.

As some of you might know, I am utterly addicted to the design contests on BBG. Starting last November, I have created 15 games for contests - 13 of those games were created during this year (2014!). I don't participate in every contest, but it is really hard for me not to join - they are just so tempting! And the design community on BGG is such a wonderful place! I can't believe it took me so long to find it - but finding it felt like coming home. And now that I've found my home, you're not getting rid of me!

For a little bit more about me:

I designed my first board game at age ten. It was a four player version of my favorite solo video game at the time: The Four Crystals of Trazere. It had doors that stood up which characters could walk through, and a modular board with tiles you would flip over to see what creatures were in the room. Sadly, I have no idea where that game is now.

Since then I have never really stopped thinking about game design, though I did take a detour getting history and anthropology degrees before I realized that games were my true calling.

I have a habit of rewriting the rules of games to better suit my tastes. Originally it was when I played with my sister. We turned most games we played together as children into co-op games. Now I tend to spend time writing solo rules for games.

I have worked on all types of games - I've illustrated RPGs, I've been a tester for board and video games, I've programmed videos games, and I've done art for them. But it took the contests this year to really dive into making board games. Before this year I had a lot of unfinished games lying around. Now I have more finished than unfinished, and that is quite a feat!

Another thing I've done this year is become a volunteer at my local library, helping run an All Age Board Game Night one Wednesday a month. The librarian and I were always talking about the games we were playing, so we decided to set up a board game night. The library owns a bunch of games, and while people can't check them out, people can play them in a designated room. We also encourage people to bring in games to share. I always bring in part of my collection.

And now you know a little bit about me.
Poll
Two Truths and a Lie:
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I was first added to the BGG/RPGG database as a game designer for illustrating the RPG Awesome Adventures.
12.7% 8
My sister and I had a habit of turning most games we played together as children into co-op games, often completely rewriting the rules.
11.1% 7
I have lost every game of Mansions of Madness I have played as a Keeper.
76.2% 48
Voters 63
This poll is now closed.   63 answers
Poll created by SilvaShado
Closes: Sun Dec 7, 2014 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And my question to you Carrie - what's one thing you haven't done yet that you want to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, totally deserved! You've always been so active and prolific on all the Geek realms and beyond, and I'm extremely happy you're the new GotW!

And you've also been on all the three Geek thrones in the same year! That's absolutely impressive, congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome choice Sarah

Congrats Carrie!

What is your favourite board game?

Which of your own games is your favourite?

What elements in a board game make you want to play/buy it?

Are there elements that would make you dislike a board game?

If you could only keep one board game and you'd have to get rid of every other ones, which game would you keep?

Where do you draw inspiration when designing your games?

Any relatively unknown gems all other board gamers should know about?

Enjoy your week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Questions:

d10-1 What is your most favorite game mechanic and why?
d10-2 What game are (were) you most looking forward to in 2014?
d10-3 If you could game with a celebrity of your choice, who would you choose and why?
d10-4 If you could add, delete or change something about BGG, what would it be and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Carrie! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Carrie! Definitely well deserved!

My question is: If you could have a conversation with any person, living or dead, who would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmb
Which Geek site do you spend the most time at?

This isn't asking what your favorite is; that's like asking who's your favorite child haha - and we already know that answer anyways...

;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for picking me!

SilvaShado wrote:
And my question to you Carrie - what's one thing you haven't done yet that you want to?

As of right now? Probably publishing a book. I'd really like to get a book published. Maybe that will be my goal for next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo Carrie!!!
Congrats!!!! thumbsup

What´s your favourite time of day and why?
Do you have a favourite flower or tree?
Song, movie, band, actor/actress, food?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Carrie!

Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why?
And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Again, totally deserved! You've always been so active and prolific on all the Geek realms and beyond, and I'm extremely happy you're the new GotW!

And you've also been on all the three Geek thrones in the same year! That's absolutely impressive, congrats!

Thank you!

I do love being here - it is like the home I never realized I had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Carrie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Caroline, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Congrats Carrie!

Thanks!

Kattvippa wrote:
What is your favourite board game?

Tales of the Arabian Nights, the 1985 version. I love the storytelling aspect, the fact that it is four games in one, and I really don't mind the randomness.

Kattvippa wrote:
Which of your own games is your favourite?

Same as above. Tales of the Arabian Nights, the 1985 version.

Kattvippa wrote:
What elements in a board game make you want to play/buy it?

1) Storytelling
2) RPG type system or characters
3) Modular board
4) Amusing art

Kattvippa wrote:
Are there elements that would make you dislike a board game?

Oh hell yeah!
1) Push your luck
2) Games that claim to have strategy but are full of randomness. (I don't mind randomness as long as the game is upfront about it.)
3) Games with runaway leader issues and no catch-up mechanics.

Kattvippa wrote:
If you could only keep one board game and you'd have to get rid of every other ones, which game would you keep?

This would be painful because it would mean getting rid of all the games I worked on this year.

Tales of the Arabian Nights, the 1985 version. It was the game that started my current board game collection.

Though, with a few more plays, Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients/Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death might take over this spot.

Kattvippa wrote:
Where do you draw inspiration when designing your games?

A lot of it is from mythology or bits of folklore/faerie tales/history I have read. I also suffer from an overactive imagination that likes to run rampant if I let it.

Kattvippa wrote:
Any relatively unknown gems all other board gamers should know about?

Well, clearly Tales of the Arabian Nights, the 1985 version.

Kattvippa wrote:
Enjoy your week

I will! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Carrie!

My questions for you :
1 Which of the 15 games you've made for contests do you like the most?
2 Is there any one play of Tales of the Arabian Nights that you remember for its epic nature?
3 If you could go on an archeological dig anywhere, where would you choose?
4 What's your favorite candy?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
YAY Carrie!

- What is your favorite book?
- When will you be designing a point & click video game since your IFs are so fantastic? (See https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/174575/if-games-carrie-ha... for those of you not yet following along.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Thanks!

Ashitaka wrote:
Questions:

d10-1 What is your most favorite game mechanic and why?
d10-2 What game are (were) you most looking forward to in 2014?
d10-3 If you could game with a celebrity of your choice, who would you choose and why?
d10-4 If you could add, delete or change something about BGG, what would it be and why?

d10-1 Variable Player Powers, because that goes hand-in-hand with RPGs - I love having different characters in a game that have different abilities.
d10-2 Well, all the games by Todd Sanders that I finally printed-and-played were definitely highlights of my year. As for big name games, Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients was the big one. And for the most part it has lived up to our expectations... but I might be making some house rules for it soon.
d10-3 Probably Felicia Day. It would have to be a co-op, I wouldn't want to beat her!
d10-4 Add? I'd add more ways from the BGG side to connect with my games on the RPGG and VGG side. I really dislike all the hoops I have to jump through to see my games on those parts of the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:
Congrats Carrie! Enjoy your week!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo - congrats, Carrie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:
Congratulations Carrie! Definitely well deserved!

My question is: If you could have a conversation with any person, living or dead, who would it be?

Thanks!

Today I would have loved to talk to Douglas Adams. His sense of humor is very similar to mine, and I would have loved to know how he got his inspiration for his stories... and Dr. Who episodes.

I say today because there are just so many people I would love to talk too that is changes somewhat frequently...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Congrats!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.