Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I acquired a copy of Wizards two or three years ago and I’m finally attempting to learn it. I’m not even too far into the rules and I've encounted a weird discrepancy.

"Rule 3.6) Place the Completion Marker at ZERO on the Completion Track. At the same time, place the Thwart Marker in the Takeover box above this track."

So, if you look at the image, first of all there is no “ZERO” (maybe just place it next to 1 off the track?) but furthermore there is no “Takeover” box nor is there anything above this track.

Can someone explain what the rule should say? I suppose I could make guesses, or maybe the answer is obvious once you're further into the rules, but I'd rather just get it straight right away..So...Any clarification would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: I checked the errata but there's no mention of this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Just place it on the 10.

Really, it's a turn track. Every X turns, you need two completed tasks to thwart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Kievernagel
Germany
Braunschweig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Mark,

I don't have the game before me
(playing from time to time with a friends' game).
From what I remember:
Completion Marker goes to Completion Track
and moves from 0-10. Just put it outside to
indicate 0 fulfilled tasks.
It's not the turn track. This track is on the other
side and goes from 1-14. There's a day marker for this track.

The Thwart Marker goes to the box "successful attack"
at the start of the game. "successful attack" means
the evil forces "take over" one island.

When you have 10 tasks fulfilled
the completion marker goes back to 0.
And the thwart marker goes to the box "evil thwarted".

Note that there is no evil attack the first two (?) fortnights.
Unluckily there is no marker / box for this.
You should note/indicate this somehow for everyone
using a die or something.

HTH,
Matthias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for the helpful information. I'm looking forward to trying this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kay
Australia
Woodville Gardens
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this a few times, it's quite fun but really really needs to be updated by someone good -- the rules are a painful mess and so many cardboard tokens

Playing with my son has taught me that with two players it is really really hard to get ten quests done in time. Especially if you put the land tiles too far apart, where it becomes a real pain trying to get from one point to another. And being teleported to the Dragon tile or across to the other side of the map can really make a mess of your plans. I'd suggest house ruling the number of quests needed down depending on the number of players. Or perhaps it should start at say 5 and go up each fortnight: by the later part of the game, you should be able to move very fast thanks to higher level spells (giving you the ability to quickly move through forests, mountains etc, or even teleport).

Additionally, you may find "Blu Tak" or similar really helpful to keep the land tiles on the board. They are easy to bump around and mess up where they were or what quest counters were on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, Marty!

I've been thinking of getting a sheet of plexiglass for old games (and the occasional new one) with paper maps anyway. Seems like Wizards would be a good candidate for using that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.