Jim Lederer
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this seems silly, but I'm unclear on how many times a unit may fire. For example, under 3)Outer Zone Combat it says: "...each unit firing once per category (a, b, c)" which implies that each unit gets to fire once vs. air, once vs. surface, once vs. ASW

It says this again under 4) Inner Zone Combat: "...each unit fires once per category"

But under 21.4, it says "each Soviet unit is fired one at a time, and only once per Inner and Outer firing turn"

I can't imagine the intent is for USN units to fire in all three categories and Soviets to only fire in one category..

Second question - the rules don't say whether you need to allocate/plan-out all of your attacks before you start rolling for the results. I guessed that this was the intent, as opposed to selecting targets and firing one unit at a time...this means that I can't just keep firing at that nasty 9-factor missile until it dies, I have to guess up front how many of my anti-air units to allocate to it, and hope I don't guess wrong.

Finally, are results applied as each unit fires? Specifically, if using the optional shrike and EW rules, if I hit a surface unit with the shrike first, there goes his EW, and now my subsequently-firing units will all exceed his EW and can hit on 4,5, or 6?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I can't imagine the intent is for USN units to fire in all three categories and Soviets to only fire in one category..

Yeah, I think this is odd, too. I'll give it a bash this way, and if it seems too much of a cakewalk for the USN player, I'll play it that they fire as often as the USN does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lederer
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure they're supposed to fire at the same rate as the US. I just don't know if that rate is supposed to be once/category or once/turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Duckworth
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys

Did you ever get answers to these questions? I just acquired this game, and I think it is a lot of fun, but I have a number of questions, these among them. Given it is almost impossible for the Soviets to get the tactical edge, I think allowing the US to shoot three times per phase vs the Soviets' one would skew things even more heavily in the US favour...

However, whilst I don't see why a ship could fire in all three steps, when it came to an air strike, I am wondering whether both sides' planes should only be able to shoot in one of these fire steps: I would have thought that air units would only carry one type of payload (AA, AS or ASW) rather than be able to do all three. The targeting priorities for the Soviets are already defined by the matrix; for the US, you would have to choose up-front what you want each aircraft to do.

Cheers

--Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.