Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death» Forums » Rules

Subject: Escape & movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
phalanx phalanx
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you know if is possible to escape and end the movement in the same position of the starting point.
If it is possible is the miniature engaged or it is free (very important to determine the targets or to trow dynamite)?

Thanks
Phal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
phalanx72 wrote:
Do you know if is possible to escape and end the movement in the same position of the starting point.

The rules do not forbid this. So you could move over to another Hero to trade items, use sidebag tokens etc and come back to your start point.

phalanx72 wrote:
If it is possible is the miniature engaged or it is free (very important to determine the targets or to trow dynamite)?

You can throw dynamite at an square within range even if you are engaged.

Rulebook p25 wrote:
Throwing Dynamite
A Hero may throw a Dynamite Token as a Ranged Attack. The Range of the throw is up to the Hero’s Strength +3 and it may be thrown at ANY space in Range as long as the Hero has Line of Sight to that space (even if Enemies are adjacent to the Hero).

If you have adjacent enemies you must address other Ranged attacks to them first even if you have made an Escape Roll.

Quote:
If there are Enemies adjacent to you, you must always assign and resolve Ranged Hits against them first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if a monster is targeting you, it will continue to target if you remain adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And you must also pass an escape test if you want to move to a square that is still adjacent to an enemy that's targeting you. For example, if I'm adjacent to a Void Spider that's targeting me but I want to move around it to help out another hero, and every square I'm moving through is adjacent to the Spider, I still need to pass an escape test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE: The above post is worded slightly weird. I initially thought he meant you need to escape for each square you move before I re-read it. You only need to escape once per movement/turn, although you need to escape the highest value of anything adjacent at the beginning of your movement (so if you have something that is 3+ and something that is 5+, you need a 5 to escape any of them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phalanx phalanx
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank a lot!
Now it's much more clrear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Olson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about rolling to recover Grit during a fight? If you are adjacent to a monster, can you roll to recover grit, or do you first have to roll escape, then roll to see if you get a 1? We were playing it that you can roll your movement dice, in the hopes that you can recover a grit, without rolling for escape. But I'm not sure that's correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paterno
United States
Coatesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximillion1 wrote:
What about rolling to recover Grit during a fight? If you are adjacent to a monster, can you roll to recover grit, or do you first have to roll escape, then roll to see if you get a 1? We were playing it that you can roll your movement dice, in the hopes that you can recover a grit, without rolling for escape. But I'm not sure that's correct.

I don't think there is anything specific in the rule book (I had the same question initially). We play you have to pass the escape test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ithaqua C
msg tools
I have been playing that you roll for movement (grit) first before Escape. Just going by my Outlaw's Duck and Dive ability that when you roll doubles on your 2 dice for your Shadow Move, you may automatically Escape this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximillion1 wrote:

Roll for movement [and Grit and sometimes Frostbite] is the first thing you do in a Hero's Activation.

Rulebook P11 wrote:
Hero Movement
At the start of a Hero’s Activation, the first thing they should do is to roll a single die for Movement.

Escape Tests are only required when you try to use some of that movement while adjacent to an Enemy and you don't have to use any of it. Therefore they don't get rolled until you actually start to move, which may be after doing one of the various things that doesn't require an attack.

As far as I can tell for example there is nothing to stop you rolling your movement then using the Book of the Mad King to kill the only adjacent figure and thus not need to roll to Escape.

Likewise it appears you roll movement and then can decide if you wish to spend Grit to use the Teleportation Bracelet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paterno
United States
Coatesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...we could have gotten quite a bit more grit the past few games Thanks for the clarification Adam!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
billpa wrote:
Wow...we could have gotten quite a bit more grit the past few games Thanks for the clarification Adam!

There is a downside. It means you can't avoid rolling your movement to avoid damage on the Targa Plateau or the Soul Parasite nomming on your Sanity.

Also note that Grit gives an additional d6 squares of movement but isn't a Move roll for generating Grit etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paterno
United States
Coatesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
billpa wrote:

There is a downside. It means you can't avoid rolling your movement to avoid damage on the Targa Plateau or the Soul Parasite nomming on your Sanity.

Also note that Grit gives an additional d6 squares of movement but isn't a Move roll for generating Grit etc.

I am still on basic missions so have yet to travel to the Plateau. Hopefully this Thursday. Yup...grit move roll cannot generate additional grit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SabastianBludd wrote:
And you must also pass an escape test if you want to move to a square that is still adjacent to an enemy that's targeting you. For example, if I'm adjacent to a Void Spider that's targeting me but I want to move around it to help out another hero, and every square I'm moving through is adjacent to the Spider, I still need to pass an escape test.

Being the target of an enemy has no bearing on the escape test. If you are trying to move out of a square that is adjacent to an enemy, whether they are targeting you or not, you have to have passed an escape test equal to or greater than than enemy's escape value already during this turn, or pass a new one.

So if you start your turn with no enemies around you but you want to walk around that spider that's attacking your buddy, you still have to pass an escape test. If you pass, you can walk by as many spiders as you want, until you enter a square adjacent to a strangler, if you want to move out of that square, you'll need to pass a new 6+ test, even if you rolled a 6 to pass the test for the spiders.

Because of the fact that escape tests are made as you are trying to move out of a square, you would have had to have rolled your movement already. Now as far as timing on using grit to add to your movement roll... I wouldn't want to add to my roll if I wasn't going to escape in the first place. So I would probably play it as, as long as you're still moving, you can use your grit to add to your movement roll. But that part is totally just my opinion. The first part about adjacent enemies, however, is paraphrased from the rule book. (Pg 23)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FencePost wrote:
SabastianBludd wrote:

Being the target of an enemy has no bearing on the escape test. If you are trying to move out of a square that is adjacent to an enemy, whether they are targeting you or not, you have to have passed an escape test equal to or greater than than enemy's escape value already during this turn, or pass a new one.

Okay, I see that I've muddied the waters with my comment. Yes, I know that targeting has nothing to do with escape tests, it was just an example.

The point I was trying to get across was that I misinterpreted this rule because of how the Escape stat is described on page 20 of the rulebook: "When a Hero is adjacent to the Enemy and wants to move away, they must first pass an Escape test using this Escape value (more on this a bit later)." (emphasis mine)

Going by that description, you could "dance" around an enemy without rolling an Escape test because you're not moving away (per the description on page 20) and breaking adjacency.

If I'm Hero C and I want to move one space left to attack Enemy 1, I wouldn't be moving away from Enemy 2 since it could still attack me on its next activation. I was playing it wrong by thinking that I didn't need to make an Escape test since I was still adjacent to Enemy 2 after my Move action. It's clear reading it now that when they wrote "move away" on page 20 that they simply meant the hero leaving their current space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.