Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Woods
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm one level away from getting Refinement and perhaps I'm lucky (or unlucky considering how many stones I roll for), but the Hunting Rifle has 3 slots and +2 dmg, I can do two Refinements as soon as I take the skill. That's 5 dmg even if a 1 is rolled for it. 6 if bullets are used. 7 if you smash a Darkstone with Void Enhancement. Minimum. Max is 17. Average is 7. That kills basically every trash mob it hits. And you shoot again. And again. And again. ;p It's a shotgun not a howitzer! If you crit, it dies. Even up the scale to the large/ex large guys. Even Brutal side/with elites...

At level 8, I would assume I finish upgrading, so +3 dmg from refinery, +2 base, and then maxed out Marksmanship skill tree for the other 4 skills. A crit hit deals an additional +3 dmg. 8dmg before a die roll. 9 - 14 range with the die roll, 10-20 with a Darkstone use. 11-21 with bullets. I'll assume step 1 of every adventure is using a DS bullet as they are pretty cheap to buy and you don't need to buy upgrades like the other characters. On a crit, if Ignoring defense (Except for tough of course). That's pretty painful even for highest level of monsters so far printed.

Now, what it lacks is on the defense side. 4+/4+ isn't bad per say. And there is a skill tree that makes them both 3+/3+. Yet, it's not the rolls but the pool of wounds/sanity. None of the skill chart adds to either. 7 out of 12 on the upgrade chart rolls do not add a single point to either. 3 of them are any mix. D6 any mix might as well be D3 as neither pool is amazing (Dressed for Adventure is an amazing skill but in my offense build I'd lose Deadly Shot or Refinement which is really hard to justify... now when level 9 comes around in an expansion!!!!)

Make sure the gear you get adds to your health pool or sanity pool, or both. Max it out because depending on rolls a level 8 Rancher could have 14/10 same as a level 1. ;p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
yes, the rancher seems like a high damage dealer. just need to up the # of shots.

but I find each character has the potential to be a powerhouse depending on gear/speccing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree completely. The US Marshall I'm running is pretty close to being as beastly. The extra shot skill, combined with the Double-Barrell shotgun in the General Store, and Rolling Thunder, and of course the Double Shot.

You have so much crit/damage potential, especially when you're getting a 50/50 chance to recover a grit after each kill.

Rolling a crit, then being able to grit a D8 for damage is pretty nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rancher is a monster -- is highly situational.

It's balanced by his lower initiative and difficult time hitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.