Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
My FLGS has this game for $20 (they also have Betrayal at House on the Hill for the same price). Is it worth getting it at this price, or should i pass for something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your listed collection doesn't give me any hints as to whether you'd like Nexus Ops or not, but I can share my own views on the game. I gave it a try at Origins this year with three other players. One player thought it was okay. Another liked it. I thought it wasn't very good. And one player loved it so much that he went out and bought two copies the next day.

It's really a fairly simplistic game with some nice-looking bits, a gameplay area that can be changed up for variety and a sci-fi theme. I know a local store had it up for $20 and I passed on it, but that's because I know I won't play it.

I suppose it gets mixed reviews. I'm not a fan, but obviously others like it enough to not only buy it once, but twice.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my collection is a bit of a trainwreck right now... i initially used it as a bookmarking system, and now i need to go back and clean it up.

Anyways, i should also add that "Monsters Menace America" was also available for $20 at this FLGS. i love Godzilla movies, but something tells me it won't translate well into a game (so if someone disagrees please pipe up).

So far that's 1 nay against picking up Nexus Ops. Anyone else?

(and thanks again for the helpful comment!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew lavish
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well worth the 20.00. We had a bunch of fun playing it (son-12, wife, me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chelgren
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you can't really lose at that price. I own Nexus Ops, and find it to be fairly decent. Seems the sweet spot on this game is three players, but I have tried it with two and it works fairly well. My FLGS has the five AH/Wizards games (Nexus, Vegas Showdown, Sword & Skull, Monsters Menace America, and Betrayal) for $14.99 each, so I too have been lured into buying a couple I didn't already own.

Nexus Ops is a very light game, but it's entertaining enough to be worth the $20 price tag, IMO. The pieces make at least half of that cost worth it. DAY-GLO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Nexus Ops; its a great, fast action, fun skirmish game. To me, playing it reminds me a lot of playing a computer RTS game like Starcraft. Its not terribly deep, but it presents enough tactical choices to keep things interesting. If you enjoy action/combat games at all, I'd say its well worth adding to your collection.

Monsters Menace America is a lot of fun IF you can get into the theme and not take the game too seriously. The gameplay is pretty shallow and straightforward, but the mechanics work fine. It is not going to be to everyone's taste, but I find it pretty amusing. (I also have to confess to fond memories of old giant-rubbery monster movies).

Betrayal is downright odd. You don't really play it to win, you play it to have a fun experience. Best played by a group willing to get into the mood, in a dimly lit room on Halloween or something like that. If you get it though, be sure to print out the updated books.

I'd say Nexus Ops is a solid choice that should be enjoyed, as long as you like the unit building/combat genre.
Betrayal is worth getting just because its so different, but only if you're group is into a bit of "roleplaying" and silliness.
Monsters...well, its fun, but it may not appeal much to the average gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also say for $20, go for it. It's a fun game. A bit "silly" in some ways, and the colors are kinda strange (but in a good way), but it's entertaining, despite it being rather "light" (which also isn't necessarily bad)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
It's a wargame controlled by the dice and the cards, but there are some choices to be made along the way, and it's over fairly quickly. There are worse games that you could get for $20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_grip wrote:
Anyways, i should also add that "Monsters Menace America" was also available for $20 at this FLGS. i love Godzilla movies, but something tells me it won't translate well into a game (so if someone disagrees please pipe up).

And the funny thing is I wouldn't even hesitate to recommend Monsters Menace America for $20. I picked it and Betrayal up for $20 apiece over the weekend. To each his own and all that.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
the_grip wrote:
My FLGS has this game for $20 (they also have Betrayal at House on the Hill for the same price). Is it worth getting it at this price, or should i pass for something else?

No, you should wait to get it until the price goes back up. It's worth $40. You shouldn't pay a penny less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
HELL. YES.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
But it for $20 now, sell it for $50 in a few years. Same with Betrayal. Not so sure with Monsters - haven't played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
ctalbot wrote:
the_grip wrote:

And the funny thing is I wouldn't even hesitate to recommend Monsters Menace America for $20. I picked it and Betrayal up for $20 apiece over the weekend. To each his own and all that.

Chris

Guh? Monsters Menace America has the silliest end game ever, which just killed it for me. And I have Gojira in Japanese: I love Kaiju movies. Nexus Ops is my favorite "so they wanted to play Risk eh?" replacement game: over in a limited time and has all the requisite dice rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
i was beginning to think this game does sound like a glorified Risk... the fact that units are fairly generic (everyone gets the same types, yes?) and you are competing for territories makes it similar (although i do get that Nexus Ops is more sophisticated).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops = Quick, moderately fun, dice heavy combat game.

I bought it for $20 and am glad I did. I don't think it's worth paying the original retail price, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops: terrific game for what it sets out to do. I would definitely buy it.

Betrayal: I like this quite a lot. Depends on how hung up you get on winning/losing. If you accept that in some fraction of games the ending willbe completely determined, and want an experience go for it. I have played it many times and thoroughly enjoy it (especially after downloading the errata!). However, if your win/loss record matters to you or you don't have at least a handful of fun-minded friends, pas sit up!

Monsters Menace America: Don't know if I would own this if I didn't have teenaged boys. Having teenaged boys it was a must purchase. Somehow I have not convinced my wife and daughter of the sheer joy of stomping things. After all being "teenaged" is a state of mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
On a similar vein...

Are there any good tactical Sci-Fi games that anyone would recommend? Starship Troopers minis looks interesting, but i'm not looking for yet *another* collectible game (too $$ and not enough time to paint).

i'm thinking more planatary or interior combat (ship, station, etc.) - i.e. not necessarily Twilight Imperium, but something akin to Starship Troopers, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abso-freakin-lutely!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In one word: Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NO.

Give me the twenty bucks so I can buy another copy for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
Played it yesterday two times in a row for the first time. It is just a great game, and Nexus has surprisingly more depth than i expected when reading the rules, but still a light game.

Bought for 29 EU and i am happy with it, so i think that you can't go wrong with 20 Bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Nexus Ops, Betrayal and Monsters Menace America and I've had a lot of fun with all of them.

I would definitely pick up Nexus Ops. If you enjoy light wargaming at all, Nexus Ops will be fun for you. It scratches that Risk itch whhile being faster and more balanced.

Betrayal and Monsters are both more subjective games. If you like the genre and you want to play to have fun, rather than worry about winning, they're great. However, if you play to win above all else, they can both be frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Memoir '44 on Thursday and my first game of Nexus Ops on Friday. Nexus feels like a lighter version of Memoir with a SF theme, more randomness, and a Risk feel.

I enjoy piling up units and rampaging across the countryside. It was fun to watch each other save up Rubium to buy dragons and attempt to beat the crap out of each other. The secret mission cards add an interesting twist but are hard to keep track of during play. I "won" our game by getting two victory points for winning a battle on a forest hex, which seemed excessively generous, so I traded the card for Rubium instead and we continued to play, with the game coming down to a final battle consisting of my two dragons vs. my opponent's rock strider and dragon. He barely won the battle, beating me by one victory point, and we had one of those game box/tv commercial moments with loud shouts and fist pumping, etc. so that was cool. My six year old played with us and did ok (we will give him a six point handicap next game) but I was too busy figuring the game out to help him as much as I should have. He started off strong but then got greedy, following a mining strategy and hording dragons, which didn't get him a lot of points.

The figures are nice, but the cards are crap, as are the player mats. I'm going to laminate the mats, sleeve the cards, and build a cooler tower for the center. The tiles are serviceable but not eurogame quality, and the money begs to be replaced with something nicer, like glass stones or something else thematically appropriate.

We didn't play a very nuanced game--I didn't try to predict if someone was trying to fulfill secret mission cards, for example. I'm guessing with experienced players one could play a fun, fast game in about 35 minutes. Ours took 90!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikey, buy FIVE and sell them in Australia....surely you can compete with the local price (US$60)...yes that is SIXTY US DOLLARS.

At US$20 you have got yourself a bargain.

shake

Same price for Betrayal btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.