Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30265833

There is a bizarre political consensus that our health service needs more taxpayers' money. It must be an election year!

I support universal healthcare, free at the point of delivery, and I know it has to be paid for, but I'm still sceptical that we really need to keep increasing funding year after year above inflation. Where does it end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

There is a bizarre political consensus that our health service needs more taxpayers' money. It must be an election year!

I support universal healthcare, free at the point of delivery, and I know it has to be paid for, but I'm still sceptical that we really need to keep increasing funding year after year above inflation. Where does it end?
No waiting lists, or maybe free prescriptions? Ours is not the best state funded healthcare system, but it is better then none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think it is absolute stupidity for Ed Balls to say (essentially):
No matter how much the Tories promise to spend extra on the NHS we'll spend more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:
No matter how much the Tories promise to spend extra on the NHS we'll spend more.

Yes. As for no waiting lists and free prescriptions, the former is unrealistic and the latter a subsidy for the rich (there are already exemptions from prescription payments for the poor).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
andyholt wrote:

Yes. As for no waiting lists and free prescriptions, the former is unrealistic and the latter a subsidy for the rich (there are already exemptions from prescription payments for the poor).
So you think the rich should be given stuff and not the poor )see how easy it is to make Strawmen arguments?).

By the way, I happen to think that medical care should be free for all, that includes drugs people need (need, not want).

What I do believe is they should get a basic level of care. That includes the drugs needed to keep you healthy and alive, but not the best, the cheapest.

That is where money comes in, if you can afford the best care you can get it, if you cannot (or do not wish to pay for it) you get a basic level of care paid for by the state.

Ohh and by the way, the exceptions are based upon what benefits you receive, not on how much money you have. So rich pensioners get free prescriptions, whilst people who are on low income may not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

You brits and your first-world problems >>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting the OP in context.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30229589

If the money for NHS spending increases is being taken from adult social care, I would suggest this is a false economy: lack of social care feeds into health problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Putting the OP in context.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30229589

If the money for NHS spending increases is being taken from adult social care, I would suggest this is a false economy: lack of social care feeds into health problems.
Generally yes.

Adult social care includes providing help to those who care for the sick and elderly, enabling people top get to hospital, helping people with learning difficulties.

Adult social care is a vital service to many who otherwise will be at risk of injury or illness (both physical and mental). In agree that this will be a false economy in the long run.

Assuming this is what will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So many false economies: the government cuts legal aid, leading to more money being wasted by courts on unrepresented litigants and unnecessary litigation: the government relies on a single company for all court translations services, resulting in failure to provide such services so courts have to hire local interpreters anyway but the company still gets paid on its contract: the government increases tuition fees, paying for them with student loans which it turns out they will never recover, therefore increasing government debt in the long term: the government introduces a complex system for with-holding people's benefits and pays private companies to administer it, which in turn requires a whole new legal system to deal with it (and the private companies pay by results is not adjusted when their decisions are overturned by the courts)... the list goes on and on.

The second article states that by 2017-18 the government will be spending £12 billion a year more on pensioners than we were in 2011-12: [I now add from other reading] £12 billion a year being roughly the amount the government has managed to cut off the rest of the welfare budget. Is moving money from people of working age and children to pensioners another false economy? I think so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

It isn't just the £2bn increase to ongoing spending. There is another £1.1bn to modernise GP's surgeries.

It has been quite clear since the summer that plan A has silently been discarded and deficit reduction has been sidelined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:

It isn't just the £2bn increase to ongoing spending. There is another £1.1bn to modernise GP's surgeries.

It has been quite clear since the summer that plan A has silently been discarded and deficit reduction has been sidelined.
Did any one really believe any different?

I have said it before and I will say it again, the only difference between left and right is what they want to spend money on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an NHS worker, give bennies please!

#PosterHypocrisy
#LazyNHSWorkers

In all seriousness though I doubt this money will do any good. It will probably go towards more listening in action type stuff where they spend thousands of pounds on rooms/people to get your thoughts and then file them away and do nothing with them. Instead of just paying 25k for an extra nurse they will spend 25k telling you why you don't need the current number of nurses if you just 'do more with less'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.