Hide
15 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Should AEG make a "vertical" expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Fitch
msg tools
Yeah, that's a confusing title. What I mean is, every Smash Up box to date has simply added more factions. So you have more options for what to play, but the game is the same as ever if you don't happen to be playing the new factions.

Which is great! But imagine if the next product (after Pretty Pretty and the Munchkin expansion, I suppose) was an expansion that would expand all the existing factions rather that adding new ones. It could be one new card for each faction if they wanted to release this as a set of "booster pack" expansions a la Star Realms, or several cards per faction plus bases etc if it gets a big box. You wouldn't want to add a lot -- this game doesn't need huge fat decks -- but just a few new ones could really add spice to the factions as well as polishing up the balance a bit.

What do you think, good idea? Great idea? Or too much danger of watering down or screwing up the factions we love?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't like it at this point. Only people who have everything would find it useful and then does that bring deckbuilding into the game? I wouldn't buy it and I have all of the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it needs it. When you combine a new faction with an old faction, you can get lots of cool synergies, effectively "spicing" up the old factions. Adding new cards to existing factions just causes a mess without adding anything that new factions can't already do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Ferguson
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I don't think it's really necessary. There's already hundreds of possible combinations from the factions that have been released. And every expansion will increase that number by at least a hundred combinations, so there's already plenty of variety.
And one of the best thing about the game is the speed at which it "sets up". Add a "deck-building" component to it and it turns into Magic: The Gathering, which would make me cry. For reals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's been done for arkham horror, Miskatonic.

it's great but only for die hard players.

Ok i would buy it...wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think its' necessary at all. Though I totally wouldn't be against such things. I'd love to see a sort of 'common' deck you can get cards from, like madness but without the -vp ^^.

Totally happy just buying more factions though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Fitch
msg tools
For the record, I would never want deckbuilding in Smash Up. My idea was more that you would simply decide whether you're using the expansion, and if so you throw in the new cards on top of what's already there and have a slightly larger deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Pullman
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like them to add something to "fix" The Obligatory Cthulhu Set. I never get any of those factions to the table. The Madness cards and their abilities only work if others have madness generating cards too.

So, that is what I'd like to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu is one of my favourite expansion And each Time i must be the only one to pick them up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Roy
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS SINCE DAY ONE!!!

BOOSTER PACKS!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
I think it'd be a bit convoluted personally.

It'd be neat if they re-released erratas of certain cards that are confusing to some players or that they wanted to buff as a separate pack, and I'd even be cool with redone versions of older decks (i.e. Pirates 2.0, Zombies 2.0, etc).

But packs of cards? No thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say no. I think the beauty of this game comes with the simplicity of the factions. I say simple, but I know things can already get complex as-is. Anyway, if they expanded vertically they'd have to go back and do it with each faction thus far. I prefer to keep the game as it is already. The factions we have are what we have. And future expansions should continue as they have: coming up with new factions. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I also like that there isn't any randomness in this game (booster packs? NO WAY!) and that there aren't any exclusive factions via Gencon or some other craziness. This is a game anyone can enjoy and buy whatever expansions they wish, and have a complete game. It's not like Magic where you have to try and create the perfect deck. It's a fun multiplayer game that you play with friends and family. So why make stuff hard to get? Let us expand as much as we want and have everything available to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you had something like faction leaders, or a cardboard triangle that combined together to form a square that gives you a cool ability to use once per turn, I think that would be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G beau
msg tools
I think this could really solve some of the balancing issues, I would only say make a maximum of 5 cards for each action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G beau
msg tools
I think this could really solve some of the balancing issues, I would only say make a maximum of 5 cards for each action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.