Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 times I’ve attacked as the Russians and been slaughtered. In the first 2 games I went up the right flank but his aircraft devastated me. 3rd try I went up the left and hid my flak in the Balka but got flanked by tanks in the wheat and exposed my halftracks too soon. Yesterday I finally managed a win.

Hidden Germans: Captured T34s in the wheat, panzer grenadiers near the objective, PzIII, Marders and PAK to the rear. Jon didn’t occupy the lone house because I reconned it by fire last time out. Of course I didn’t know any of this, advancing blindly is the stuff of nightmares.

Turn 1 was peaceful. The 2 Russians groups linked up and CAP moved through the Balka. Fast moving T34s popped out the end and headed for the west edge.
The lend lease M3s remained in the balka to avoid being shot to pieces. The 2 with AA mounts could fire out of the gully to the North. All 4 SMGs dismounted and scouted ahead.
Jon pivoted his 2 squads that rather bizarrely start the game facing the wrong way.

Turn 2 and all hell broke loose. An SMG crept cautiously northwards happening upon the PZIII which ignored them and fired on my tanks instead (damaging 1).
His PAK opened up damaging 2 more T34s burning some CAP and a card. The much feared Stuka was marked spent as soon as it appeared but caused 2 more hits using his CAP. My flak whipped out into the open and damaged it, skedaddling back to cover before his tanks could draw a bead on them.
The 2nd SMG advanced on the PAK but was halted by a hail of 20mm shells from the Sdkfz251/17.
His Marders employed group fire to finish 2 cripples.
The pair of Nazi T34s got 1 of their immobilized counterparts with the same trick. I think he’d have been better activating separately. The 3rd SMG closed in on his PAK and the last one marched up the balka. My 3 mobile tanks split up killing his MkIII and Hanomag. That gave the Sturmovik free rein later on. An M3 raced round the northern wood once I felt it was safe.

Turn 3. The PAK squeezed off 1 last shot seconds before my SMG squad swarmed all over it. Jon brought on his second aircraft (a Henschel 129b)which led to a passionate discussion as to whether or not it could get bogged down by a card. One of us said that it was ridiculous for a plane already on the map to be bogged down whilst the other said the airfield might be muddy or the card could represent low cloud. In the end the panzerknacker continued to fly, damaging 1 tank and destroying 2 that were already broken down although they did for both his T34s at the same time.
The cunning SMG in the gully pushed on, causing the Marders to retreat. 1 Marder got bogged down and the other ran southwards. I was glad he didn’t decide to fire. My other 2 SMGs swept the northern woods for panzer grenadiers but there were none to be found. The forward M3 charged the bogged Marder apparently suicidally and succeeded in suppressing it, only for him to rally it with good leadership. The heavy machine gun switched to the north of the wood.
I forgot my reinforcements, silly boy.

Turn 4. His Marder worked itself free from the mud and blew my M3 to smithereens. Unluckily he took 1 hit from it and another from a T34. Out of nowhere a Sturmovik swept in blasting his last Marder and cutting down the HMG.
Surrounded and outnumbered the surviving fascist slugs surrendered.

Thanks to Jon for a good game, I suspect he’s quite enjoyed giving me 1 attempt after another until I finally figured out reasonable tactics.

Next time I would send a single T34 to the east. It would flank any Germans in the wheat but not be worth sending an aircraft after as long as it stays quite far back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rotmistov's red dawn FF11
Excellent, thanks. Do you think aircraft are too effective in the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Torgoose
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aircraft are very lethal but manoeuvring against fast tanks can sometimes be a pain. As the germans i liked to get as many t34's injured with the stuka then finish them off with the henschel. Of course even with flanking shots you have to roll the dice and it doesnt always go your way even though it should.

So yes they are very effective but any anti air can cause enough of a pain to make you think twice about your planes safety
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't think they are overpowered, but if you are playing with variable APs and roll an 11 or 12 with a plane, you are going to change the direction of the game, to say the least, as it will put down a lot of hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They move and attack before you can react, pack all there shots into 1 round and there are few flak units making them scary but that's all fair enough. 7 attacks spread over 5 rounds wouldn't be half as bad. Save mark as spent, +2 firepower, bogged down and double action cards to deal with them. A double action could let you move directly under them and shoot with the close combat bonus.

In between attack runs the plane should regain height, circle round, pick out there next target and set up the approach. I'm not sure how long a round is, 3.5 minutes perhaps if a man can walk 350m. Hence a plane should be able to choose a new target anywhere on the map each time they go in. Each pass costs 1 AP. Make them trace a a straight path clear across the map that flies over their target. Flak can elect to fire once at any hex along the path. The planes choose their start height, they drop a level every third hex before the shoot and rise every third hex afterwards.

Company commanders spending CAP on a plane seems strange. Maybe it represents a forward air controller but then you wouldn't be able to use an FAC couldn't rally a broken squad. I suppose it could show designating the target with smoke.

Men on foot would certainly hear the plane coming, scatter and hit the dirt. I'd say reduce red firepower by 1 and always hit front defense against squads except with bombs. Guns don't deserve any benefit though.You might rule that air units can't fire out when in the same hex an enemy as they are in close combat(distracted by small arms fire). If so I'd also claim planes can't fire in to their own hex as they're 50m up angled no more than 30 degrees down. These are strafing runs not true dive bombing.

Having a plane appear during an enemy attack is quite fortunate even if they were already in the air and on call. On the attack I reckon air would be scheduled before the ground assault to minimise friendly fire. If friendly planes did show up during an assault most attackers would hold back from the enemy and let the flyboys do their job. My thought is to have offensive planes act pre-game. Defensive air could be limited to the artillery phase at the start of round 4/5/post game randomly determined (even odds) at that instant but certain to come in post game if they haven't shown up yet. The other players flak could fire during each pass. 1 ground unit could move 1 hex to cover no closer to enemy ground troops after each pass of the first 6 passes for free. Defender flak borrows AP/CAP from the first round. Attacker flak uses remaining AP/CAP from the previous turn.
Balka movement for vehicles seems quite generous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.