Popular Tags: [View All]
richard dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After learning the system again at BGG.Con (thanks again Andrew for all the help) retrying the EG scenarios.

NATO will play it patient, after all they have to come to me and I'll use my range as my friend, and setup within Eisenbach and allow the dragons to cover the two primary flanks around the Eisenbach Hill. The Abrams and TOW Jeep cover the Klappebruck valley with the ITV covering the west flank.

The Soviets recognizing the defensive posture of NATO starts with loaded infantry in the BMPs and plans to dash just south of the Eisenbach hill to regroup for an attack. Early smoke will clog the Klappebruck Valley to allow the Soviets free early movement. HE missions will be used to shock infantry positions within Eisenbach.

Thoughts from experienced players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Warren
msg tools
I'm not very experienced, but your setup looks fine to me. Like you said, use range to your advantage. I've had the Soviets move through the woods prior to their assault to lessen the Americans range advantage. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Takala
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
Silk for Calde!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always find it attractive to make the first line of defense on the hill south of Eisenbach, to harass the Soviets as soon as they come on board. Yes, smoke will provide cover, but there will still be a lot to shoot at with Advanced Imaging. And, smoke doesn't cover everything. If there is an Abrams west of the hill, it will most likely have some attractive targets when the 33rd closes on the hill.

But of course, if the US has an Infantry or TOW Jeep on the hill, they will probably shelled with a HE strike and in the worst case die. Yet I think that the delaying and disrupting effect (especially if they hit the Soviet HQ) is worth it.

In your setup, I think the ITV is wasted in Eisenbach. I like to post it on the hill where you have the TOW Jeep, but essentially they have the same range and effect, so no big difference there. The US should save the M113 for a late-game plunge into the Soviet rear, to capture cities they have bypassed (if they haven't sacrificed some units to hold them).

Generally a lot depends on the activations and chit pulls, so I think it's hard to find an optimum setup (or I'm not experienced enough to have done so), so I'd really like to read about the results from the setup you have there. Might try it myself one of these days.

But basically, as in every scenario, the US should go for the HQ, and the Red should try to keep it safe and have as many units in command range for as long as possible. Being Out of Command ruins the assault quite fast.

Good hunting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I will post the results this weekend when I start the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AAR

Turn 1

Soviets open with HE barrage of TOW/Abrams hex = 2 hits = 2 disrupts
Soviets would have followed with Smoke to mask movement but not needed now
Soviets drive NW to the south of Eisenbach hill

End marker drawn

Soviets drawn - ideal for Soviets
Soviets reach SW corner of Eisenbach Hill and unload infantry into the woods for potential Eisenbach assault

End marker drawn - an ideal opening for the Russkies. End marker set on US side, formations thrown back into the cup.

Turn 2

Bravo drawn
TOW/Abrams still disrupted on a 9 roll
Infantry/ITV moves to S5 to expose more of the western flank
End marker returned to cup

End marker drawn

Soviets drawn
Infantry reach top of hill north edge - S-U7 (US infantry fire 1 hit to U7 but 1 uphill terrain dice roll deflects)
2 T62s with HQ at R7 if smoke/artillery necessary
1 T62 held back OOS for potential HQ replacement
BMPs stay in woods
2 BMPs flank to O4
Soviet marker returned to cup

Bravo drawn
TOW/Abrams still disrupted on a 10 roll
Infantry (S5) fire dragon and disrupts T-62 (R7) (HQ reduced on a roll of 1 - ouch)
Infantry fire (S5) fire on infantry (S7) - 1 hit, miss with 1 deflect roll, Soviet infantry (S7) disrupted
ITV (S5) attacks disrupted T62 and rolls 2 hits, rolling 4 armor (3+1 uphill) the Soviets deflect both (lucky!)
Infantry/M113(U5) fire on Infantry (U7) and disrupt one of them

Soviets drawn
T-62 (R7) is undisrupted with HQ -1 offset, Infantry (S7) is undisrupted, Infantry (U7) still disrupted
T62 (R10) in command, BMP (O4) luckily in command - note to self factor in potential HQ reductions into attacks
Artillery rains down on US infantry / ITV (S5) and receive two hits with 1 deflection. Randomly determine ITV is disrupted.
T-62 (R7) fires 4 dice (3+1 HQ) and hits 3, ITV rolls 2 defense and deflects one - 2 hits eliminate ITV - wreck marker placed in S5
T-62 (R7) fires 4 HE dice at Infantry (S5) and hits 1, Infantry rolls 2 defensive dice and doesn't deflect, Infantry (S5) is disrupted
Infantry (S7) assaults disrupted Infantry (S5) and gets 5/6 hits (lucky again), US Infantry roll 1 hit with a to hit now of 6. US infantry eliminated, Soviets move remain in S5 with one disrupted infantry and 1 healthy one
BMP (O4) attacks M113 (T4) hits once and is deflected (2 dice rolled)
BMP (O4) attacks M113 (T4) hits once and is not deflected - M113 is reduced
Infantry (T7) assaults U5 from T5. 4 Soviet hits, US also rolls 4 hits. Soviets retreat disrupted and reduced to T5. US units now disrupted and reduced. HQ rolls a 1 and is reduced for US
Infantry (U7) fires HE on Infantry (T7), 1 hit is rolled, 2 def rolls miss, Infantry in T7 is eliminated. HQ roll of 6-2=4 is not eliminated
BMPs in U8 assault remaining M113 in T7. 1 hit, M113 rolls 2^6 and misses. M113 eliminated, HQ is eliminated, BMPs remain in T7
BMPs in R8 assault T4 from S4 - 1 hit, M113 missed its 1^6 and cannot retreat due to BMPs in T7 and is eliminated

End turn drawn

Overall Soviets got lucky with some die rolls and a static US defense of Eisenbach doesn't appear right strategy. US should spread out as far ahead as possible to stop Soviets early and limit artillery options. Place missile options not in LOS to cover valley and early disruption allowed the Soviets to move freely early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New setup for try two....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.