Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Interested in picking up a Thematic Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deny Everything
msg tools
I'm looking to pick up a good thematic board game. Something that can convey a nice atmosphere or story, not merely something with appropriate special powers and pictures. Right now I'm looking at:

Eldrich Horror - I've actually played this once or twice, lost, but it was pretty fun. Not quite sold on it though.

The Witcher Adventure Game - Been looking at the previews for this. Looks interesting, never played the game or read the books (have the games though, just never got to it). The characters seems a bit "this is what you are good at so do that" though.

Imperial Assault - The hotness. I like that there is a skirmish mode in addition to the mission mode. I'm not super into Star Wars, but it's fine. If they come out with a coop expansion, then it'll be a great one-stop fix.

Level 7 [Omega Protocol] - While it doesn't have a skirmish mode (at least none that I'm aware of), I like some of the mechanics more than Imperial Assault. Not sure how it compares mission-wise (would rather have variety than a kill-grind-fest).

Dead of Winter: Crossroads - Another hot game. Mechanically a bit light for me, but that might make it an easier game to get others into. Find the semi-cooperative premise interesting, but not sure if I'd actually like it.

Any other games? And which do you like most?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Maciel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't recommend Robinson Crusoe highly enough. Seriously, go play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh. Didn't like Robinson Crusoe. Too abstract, a -1 for me.

I do love Imperial Assault. It's very thematic and immersive, stronger even for me, than Descent which I have known and loved for years. I played about 3 scenario's and I'm hooked. In my book, it's about 100 times better than Level7: OP which I'd describe as overly fiddly..

Eldritch is ok, but if you're on the fence and already have access to EH, why buy it yourself?

You're quite correct on the Witcher. I played one solo game on Android, and while I liked it.. it's samey.

While I just played one game of Gears of War: The Board Game, this may be what you're looking for. A very strong, solo-able cooperative dungeon crawler. It's really, really hard to beat though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downer wrote:
I'm looking to pick up a good thematic board game. Something that can convey a nice atmosphere or story, not merely something with appropriate special powers and pictures.

Mansions of Madness

Thematic
Atmosphere
Story

Tales of the Arabian Nights

Thematic
Atmosphere
Story

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients

Thematic
Atmosphere
Story

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

Thematic
Atmosphere
Story

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)

Thematic
Atmosphere
Story

PS: Eldritch Horror is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be remiss if I didn't plug my favorite, Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. It's the most thematic game I've ever played. Each game feels like playing out a season of the show, with all the twists, changes of fortune, scheming, and betrayed trust. You really don't need to be familiar with the show, just with the basic concept: the last remnants of humanity are on the run from the cylons, but some cylons can pass as human, and have already infiltrated humanity.

It's classified as a semi-cooperative, but I don't think that's accurate. It's better to think of it as a team game (cylons vs. humans) where you don't know what team anyone else is on, but everyone wants you to believe they're on team human (either because they are, or it sets them up for a more spectacular betrayal).

Now, the downsides, because it's the kind of game where you need to know what you're getting into. BSG is long. Expect a game to run at least 3 hours, and that's with players who have a game or two under their belts. It also really needs at least 5 players to shine; you can play with 3 or 4, but it's just not the same. The base game can go up to 6, and later expansions bring it up to 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
travis Myers
United States
salt lake city
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy defenders!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cardamone
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I have played Dead of Winter a few times and it draws you into the story very nicely through the theme. The semi-cooperative aspect really adds the "edge" to the game. Meaning: you don't know who you can trust. For that point, it's engrossing. there's also a healthy dose of humor in spots without it being too comical. Really well designed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deny Everything
msg tools
LKMaciel wrote:
Can't recommend Robinson Crusoe highly enough. Seriously, go play it.

Gots it! Once I beat all the scenarios (lol, or more likely whenever I just decided to), I'm going to pick up the expansion.

Ruud2009 wrote:
Eldritch is ok, but if you're on the fence and already have access to EH, why buy it yourself?

I moved for job reasons.

Kyur wrote:
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients

Thematic
Atmosphere
Story

I've read a little bit about this. Flying Frog right? I've seen a little of their other games (or the Tabletop for Fortune and Glory specifically), didn't interest me. But from what I've seen, this seems a better than their other stuff.

Plus that it's full cooperative.

nbergom wrote:
I'd be remiss if I didn't plug my favorite, Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game.

Too long for me. Plus, I just don't like photos for art.

travicle wrote:
Galaxy defenders!!!!

I'm familiar with the name, but have zero knowledge on it. I'll have to look into it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downer wrote:
I've read a little bit about this. Flying Frog right? I've seen a little of their other games (or the Tabletop for Fortune and Glory specifically), didn't interest me. But from what I've seen, this seems a better than their other stuff.

That's right, I was also very surprised in a positive way, as I am not a fan of their other trashy games at all. gulp

Downer wrote:
Plus that it's full cooperative.

I really hope there will be way more cooperative dungeon crawlers in the future...

Gonna pick up my copy of Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Forgotten Souls tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bowen
msg tools
I'm a big fan of Arkham and Eldritch. Great thematic games. I'd heartily recommend Game of Thrones, which I'd say is mainly thematic because of the betrayals and the stories of the games you play.

I played Descent four of five times and really wasn't sold on it. Maybe I need to give it more of a chance but it felt a bit random and shallow to me.

Edit: Oh, also recommend Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective. More a 'choose your own adventure' type game, but really fun in a group and DRIPPING with theme...

...IF you can find it, that is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jermdog1010 wrote:
I have played Dead of Winter a few times and it draws you into the story very nicely through the theme. The semi-cooperative aspect really adds the "edge" to the game. Meaning: you don't know who you can trust. For that point, it's engrossing. there's also a healthy dose of humor in spots without it being too comical. Really well designed!

This is a very accurate recommendation. Out of all the games we own, Dead of Winter is not only the one with the best theme, but also the one that portrays that theme the best too... and I own Eldritch Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Monteforte
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for theme, the 3 best games in my opinion

3: Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
2: Dungeon Petz
1: Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game

no game has ever made me feel more like i was in a scenario than dead of winter. absolutely amazing immersion for a board game.

Dungeon petz feels exactly as it should, and everything from the rulebook to each rule is perfectly integrated into story so it feels super natural to play.

Robinson Crusoe is also very very thematic, although you do need a little bit more imagination at some points due to how erratic it can be. It's a wonderfully themed game, and i don't think you can go wrong with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy Reischl

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest:

Betrayal at House on the Hill easy to pick up and tension builds as you apporach the end of the game.

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game and the other flying frog games do a great job conveying the theme and getting you into the action fast.

+1 Mansions of Madness but you need a "game master" to run the scenario, play all the fiddly bits, it would take some work and setup isn't short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
no realy this is blank
badge
HOBBES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that this isn't too far out from what you may have been expecting but I can gladly recommend Sentinels of the Multiverse as a thematic game. There is a lot of emergent story developed in the way your group plays.

Another choice might be Agents of SMERSH which is a Cold war spy themed game. From what I have read it is similar to Tales of the Arabian Nights which I believe has been mentioned before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Galaxy Defenders, there's a great campaign included plus an online mission editor to create your own stories. Characters rank up during play, and there's a boatload of material in the base game alone. Add in the upcoming two expansions and you may have more game than you can handle.

Other games to look into:

Gears of War: The Board Game
Mage Knight Board Game
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Middle-Earth Quest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rockpaper Scissors
United States
flag msg tools
+1 for the unique Middle-Earth Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.