Popular Tags: [View All]
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did all my Christmas shopping the other day, and everyone's getting boardgames.

No, none of them are board gamers - but I did give out some copies of Sushi Go last year, and we had a good time playing it.

So many good, cheap little games that make great presents. Cards Against Humanity (for my broad minded niece), Port Royal (my new favourite filler), Guillotine, Bang! (dice), and Walk the Plank.

And of course, on the day, I will volunteer to teach people any of their new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morrison
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I'm giving it Legendary Encounters, and that's because my brother asked for it.

I worry that giving everyone a game would come across as me imposing my hobby onto other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hybridactor wrote:
I worry that giving everyone a game would come across as me imposing my hobby onto other people.

Well, I wouldnt force anyone to play one. Some of them might end up unplayed, but half the stuff you give people ends up in the cupboard anyway (unless they tell you exactly what they want).

Its either this or socks/soap baskets and that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
My 17 year old nephew is a newly minted boardgamer, and when my wife an I tally the kids gifts up, I have become the gift getter for him.

Not sure what yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
My 17 year old nephew is a newly minted boardgamer, and when my wife an I tally the kids gifts up, I have become the gift getter for him.

Not sure what yet.
What games does he like, how big is his group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Not sure what yet.
What games does he like, how big is his group?

He went to BGG.CON with me the first time this year. He's been pretty responsive to just about everything, euro's, dice games, trashy stuff, etc.

He's drank the Kool aid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course! I got myself a bunch of em....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting my little sisters a version of Dixit.

Maybe something else, not sure what though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Docter
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I picked up Jamaica for my kids. 7 and 12 years old. I am fairly certain they will like it. Very excited to teach it to them. I bought myself Imperial Settlers and Among the Stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
Did all my Christmas shopping the other day, and everyone's getting boardgames.

No, none of them are board gamers - but I did give out some copies of Sushi Go last year, and we had a good time playing it.

So many good, cheap little games that make great presents. Cards Against Humanity (for my broad minded niece), Port Royal (my new favourite filler), Guillotine, Bang! (dice), and Walk the Plank.

And of course, on the day, I will volunteer to teach people any of their new games.

Any of the Love Letter games would be great for even non-gamers, but Love Letter would be the PERFECT theme for Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife and I picked up a bunch of the mainstream standards like Trouble and Chutes & Ladders for the 4 and 6 year olds in our house. Baby steps. Soon I will indoctrinate them with the rest of my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't give board games as presents. When I do, they invariably end up at my house, since that's where all the game-playing happens. Then I feel like I bought myself a present, and that's not what it's all about.

Pete (has about 2 dozen games in his basement that technically aren't his, but effectively are)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto: The Dice Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beholm wrote:
[q="bortmonkey"]
Any of the Love Letter games would be great for even non-gamers, but Love Letter would be the PERFECT theme for Christmas!

Yes, these are perfect cheap presents, but I gave them out last year (along with Sushi Go).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A VERY good friend and his wife are getting the Viticulture: Complete Collector's Edition this year. They make wine and haven't played this kind of board game ever, so I hope it's a good match up for a surprise. Another family recently mentioned they want to get their young under 5 daughter playing Monopoly soon.. I have already quickly fixed up a "care package" (Hive The Magic Labyrinth Spot it! My First Carcassonne and perhaps regular Carcassonne for mom and dad) of some wonderful family games that might be a bit better than Monopoly.

I can't think of better gifts for cold winter nights with the whole family gathered together than some fun board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave myself some board games ... but won't be giving any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
So far already gifted copies of Red7, Fairy Tale, and Love Letter. Give to non-gamer family members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawn Gnome
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I would love to get my 5th CR Star
mb
Rhino Hero is the only game I have purchased so far. It is a stocking stuffer for my seven year old son. I also plan to purchase a few items from The Broken Token for a few friends of mine. I'm pretty sure I will be picking up King of New York and Takenoko at some point as well. I might even spring for a copy of Small World. All three games I will give to my son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Already sent a game to some US soldiers as a part of a care package, bought another for the friend who got me into "hobby gaming" and am getting at least one for myself (or from my wife). That's pretty much it that I know of.

wf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i give my copy of World of Warcraft: The Boardgame to my wife as present.. but since she hated it she gift it back to me devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, yes. I am giving a game to a couple of kids I know this year. I truely hope they will like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought my sister a copy of Catan, which she got me for Xmas 2 years back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave my sister Alhambra: Big Box for her birthday this summer, I got her Zooloretto and Takenoko for this Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too Many Cinderellas for my brother and Doggy GO! for his wife. Thinking about picking up a copy of Machi Koro while I'm in America (not hauling my copy there and back from Japan for the holidays) to play and likely leave with them if they enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My 9-year old Sister will find herself copies of Qwirkle and Sushi Go! under the tree this December 25th. She loves to learn and play games with us, and so a couple that she can play with Mum when we're not around was in order.

I got my 23-year old Sister a copy of Ticket to Ride: Europe last month for her birthday too. A little something for her and her boyfriend when they're spending time together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.