Subject: First Game, Reflections rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
What might have 'gone wrong' or been imbalanced about our play?

Played my first game ever of Power Grid today with two friends. We had loads of money and nothing to spend it on. I was up near $300 at one point, but it was late in the "second step" and I had nowhere to spend the money. I had placed cities everywhere I possibly legally could place them on our map. I had monopolized the cities in the midwest, and my two opponents had filled the "10" and "15" slots in the other cities.

We played on the United States map, using the three eastern regions.

Seemed like we did not bid much in auctions. The plants that kept coming up were not as good as the ones we had earlier in the game.

The imbalance I felt was that I had tons of money and nowhere to spend it. I won by building my 17th city and being the only one able to power 17. The others could only power 16 and 15.

I am almost positive that we played correctly, as I am a detailed and careful reader of rules.

My thoughts are that the problems arose because:
1) the eastern US has low costs to connect cities
2) we had 'bad luck' and the plants came out in a bad order for auction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 3-player game, you randomly remove 8 plants from the deck (but not the #3 through #10 plants or the #13) before you start the game. If you didn't do this, it might lead to the kind of thing you experienced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Terry

Crystal
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually recommend a couple of plays on the Germany side before playing US. This may or may not have made a difference in the issue with what you had with the plants, but I find it less frustrating for first time players because the distance issues are not as heterogenous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you tossing the lowest plant if no one bought any? Between that and the random 8 plants removed step three shouldn't take that long to get to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
I was up near $300 at one point, but it was late in the "second step" and I had nowhere to spend the money.

You know that you don't have to build in a city directly adjacent to a city where you already are, but can skip through intervening cities, right?

Also: Have you read Power Grid FAQ? Most of the common beginner rule confusions are discussed there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
The one rule we missed was to remove 8 cards from the deck when playing with 3 players. Thanks. Will try again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
The one rule we missed was to remove 8 cards from the deck when playing with 3 players. Thanks. Will try again!

Yeah that would do it. That would mean that Step 3 was triggered 8 plants too late, which would mean the mid game would stall quite a bit.

It's very interesting how easy it is for a game of PG to break down if you forget even one small rule. We played a 4 player game of it last weekend where the person shuffling the plant deck forgot to remove 4 random plants, and it was a very strange game, the plant market was total crap at around the midway point, which stalled the game quite a bit.

Hope you enjoy your second game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
The rules suggest that you play in the number of areas equal to the number of players. But don't seem to make it mandatory.

What do game veterans suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
The rules suggest that you play in the number of areas equal to the number of players. But don't seem to make it mandatory.

What do game veterans suggest?

It is mandatory. The "we recommend" is just goofy wording. See "Exceptions, changes, and special things" in the back of the rules. As noted in Power Grid FAQ, the number of players = number of areas, except 2 player = 3 areas and 6 players = 5 areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Ah thanks. "We recommend" did seem kinda strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.