Popular Tags: [View All]
John Collis
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Chris:

I had a few questions about the game:

1) When forming a colony, can one trace to another colony that was just created during that same Game Turn?

2) Can only one colony be formed in a planetary hex? I have assumed this, though this is not explicitly stated in the rules, but the alternative presents a number of interesting possibilities. For example, an IP can be used to form a colony, and then another can be formed on top for zero OPs, and then the IP freed again to colonize somewhere else more efficiently. Also, allowing damaged capital ships to colonize and then de-colonize is a neat way to repair damage in the field. Conversely, multiple colonies in a single Planetary hex wrecks the victory conditions.

3) Is the following a credible strategy? The 2nd Player is in the last Game Turn of a Cycle. He decolonizes enough locations to allow him to go first during the next Galactic cycle, for the double turn. This seems kind of gamey, but is not prohibited by the rules.

My impression of the game is that it is good, but on the cusp of being fantastic if there was some additional subtlety to the ship movement and interception. Were any other rules considered or used during the playtesting?

A worthwhile tweak might be that Combat for an Interception is resolved during the Movement Phase the instant that it occurs. Right now, you just send a cheap unit forward to force an Interception, then barrel through with the rest of your stack. This way, there is more uncertainty about getting the boys through.

Cheers,

John Collis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I can answer some of these...

1) When forming a colony, can one trace to another colony that was just created during that same Game Turn?

Yes.

2) Can only one colony be formed in a planetary hex?

Yes.

3) Is the following a credible strategy? The 2nd Player is in the last Game Turn of a Cycle. He decolonizes enough locations to allow him to go first during the next Galactic cycle, for the double turn. This seems kind of gamey, but is not prohibited by the rules.

That is permitted.

My impression of the game is that it is good, but on the cusp of being fantastic if there was some additional subtlety to the ship movement and interception. Were any other rules considered or used during the playtesting?

That's what playtesting is all about; putting this in, taking that out...

A worthwhile tweak might be that Combat for an Interception is resolved during the Movement Phase the instant that it occurs.

That could certainly slow the game down.

Right now, you just send a cheap unit forward to force an Interception, then barrel through with the rest of your stack. This way, there is more uncertainty about getting the boys through.

You don't have to intercept with everything, a cheap unit would begat a cheap interception, no?

Alan Emrich

Cheers,

John Collis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Collis
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Alan:

Thanks for your response

Right now, you just send a cheap unit forward to force an Interception, then barrel through with the rest of your stack. This way, there is more uncertainty about getting the boys through.

You don't have to intercept with everything, a cheap unit would begat a cheap interception, no?

Yes, it would slow the game down. According to the rules, once a unit has declined to intercept into a hex, it can only intercept in other clear hexes afterwards, but not the one that it decline to intercept into. So if I have a stack of 6 units, I move 1 forward towards the hex. If an interception occurs, it is stopped, then I follow the same path to move safely through the intercepted hex.

Cheers,

John Collis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Me and Mr. Collis played a couple of games of Imperial Stars II this past Sunday and Monday.

I have the following questions regarding rule 5.5 Interception which I don't find clear:

The Non-Acting Player clearly announces the intent to intercept and, after doing so, moves all desired intercepting ships into the interception hex (ships which do not intercept and remain in their original hex can intercept other ships moving into different adjacent Clear hexes).

My rules questions:

1) Does the rule mean that once ship A (leaving hex A) moves into the interception hex, that no other ships from hex A can intercept into the interception hex during the current Operations Phase?

2) Could ships in hex A and hex B both move into an interception hex simultaneously?

3) If ships decline to intercept the first enemy stack moving into an adjacent hex, could they then intercept a future enemy stack that moves through that same hex during the same Operations Phase?

MM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Collis
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Folks:

With a tip of his hat, the refined Mr. Ma (nee Marcus/Monstrooper) concluded the evening, "I'll play again, but not the Singularity map". The tap of his walking stick receded down the hall, as he exited Mr. Collis's modest abode and entered the cold gloomy night - not quite deep space, but as close as a winter in Toronto would provide.

With his last strength, Mr. Collis found his arm chair and sat down heavily. He hunched forward weary, though relieved, as a great weight had been taken off his shoulders. Only the day before, the esteemed Mr. Ma had asserted, "I would give this game a 4 or 5, and never want to play it again".

Four? Forsaken, forlorn, forgotten, unforgivable four!

Mr. Collis could not bear to have any game rated four by the esteemed Mr. Ma remain in his collection. His work was cut out for him. The day after mention of the f--- word, Mr. Collis had managed to persuade the irascible Mr. Ma to play again. Dined, amused with ambient popular music, and imparting a crushing loss on his host, Mr. Ma found himself amused. No verbal cue of the 'four' being foregone was given, only a well-timed sniff when the humble, hopeful Mr. Collis raised the issue again, albeit tangentially.

Enough.

It is done.

Most people think that the gaming hobby only consists of design, development, playing, collecting, purchasing, owning, and trading games. Ha! How naïve! There are some that work in the shadows - a guerrilla war of playing games nor for enjoyment, but to keep ratings high; that others may sleep well, knowing their collection's value remains intact. Like a cheap brassiere on a pentagenarian strumpet - ever struggling to keep assets high and prominent, regardless of nature or purpose - and never thanked.

Questions
Mr. Ma - I would concur with your assessments of (1) and (2), but the way that I read it is that any units deciding not to intercept into a hex, cannot intercept into that hex ever again, so (3) wouldn't apply.

Cheers,

Mr. John Collis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monstrooper wrote:
Hi there,

Me and Mr. Collis played a couple of games of Imperial Stars II this past Sunday and Monday.

Thank you for playing!

monstrooper wrote:
I have the following questions regarding rule 5.5 Interception which I don't find clear:

Sorry for the lack of clarity. That is something we strive for at all times, but rarely achieve to our desired level.

monstrooper wrote:
The Non-Acting Player clearly announces the intent to intercept and, after doing so, moves all desired intercepting ships into the interception hex (ships which do not intercept and remain in their original hex can intercept other ships moving into different adjacent Clear hexes).

My rules questions:

1) Does the rule mean that once ship A (leaving hex A) moves into the interception hex, that no other ships from hex A can intercept into the interception hex during the current Operations Phase?

Correct. The intercepting player can't decide to later intercept with more ships into the same interception hex, unless the active player moves more ships into that hex.

This is to stop the player from continuing to threaten the active player's movement with additional ships and then later deciding to increase the odds in their original interception.

monstrooper wrote:
2) Could ships in hex A and hex B both move into an interception hex simultaneously?

Yes.

monstrooper wrote:
3) If ships decline to intercept the first enemy stack moving into an adjacent hex, could they then intercept a future enemy stack that moves through that same hex during the same Operations Phase?

Sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.