Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we're working on the first gaming night events for the library with our big grant money now (mostly) spent. The rest of the group wants to do themed events which I'm good with. The first event will be World War II - they're doing LAN Call of Duty 2 - I'll be doing dual sessions of Memoir '44 and Axis & Allies Europe. I got that theme covered.

However, the next theme is going to be car racing with Need for Speed Most Wanted as the video game. The only game I was able to find in print was Street Illegal (which I ordered). Does anyone know of any car racing games that are still IN PRINT that I could supplement this with?

The only ones that I could think of are Pitchcar (possibly too expensive for what money I have left), Formula De and Race Day(both out of print) and Cthulhu 500 (not so sure on buying that one).

Am I overlooking one? Please bear in mind that it has to be currently available as I have to buy with a purchase order so telling me about X out of print game on ebay isn't going to do me any good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Paul
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Dunno if RoboRally is straying too far from the fold? Not quite cars but definitely a racing game that plays better (crazier) with more people.

Cthulhu 500 is actually a pretty decent game. It is a card game of course. The racing is abstracted to car order rather than on a physical track.

Another option might be Race Day sets from WizKids. It's their NASCAR version of Pirates of the Spanish Main. Don't think it sold well but I've seen places clearing on their inventory on good discounts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burchfield
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You really shouldn't have any problem finding the Race Day packs or sets. They are still at places like Wal-Mart and target for pretty cheap. I would definitely suggest those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula De
Un Reifunbreite (misspelled)
Detroit Cleveland Grand Prix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to check. I know for a fact that our local Wal-Mart doesn't have Race Day and never did. I bought one of the starter sets for my father last year for Christmas from Target. I'll have to see if they have any left.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Das Motorsportspiel. Get it. It's mad crazy wicked fun, yo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
Das Motorsportspiel. Get it. It's mad crazy wicked fun, yo.

That's actually what i wanted to suggest but it will burn a hole in your money-pocket... You can get it for around 40€ without shipping.
But it would definitely fit for a gaming group with video-games background.
Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite is Daytona 500.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/631

Zillions of copies at ebay....

More serious is RASC. More a simulation of NASCAR. You must be a NASCAR fan to enjoy it. Mandatory to use latest revision of rules. Still in print.

http://www.realaction.com/rasccomnts.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet, but Bolide has some pretty good reviews.

I really enjoy Formula Dé. It is out of print and pretty hard to find these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
win, place and show
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/782

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula De Mini is also quite good. We use it with the regular maps as well.

Breaking Away is quite good.
Hare and Tortoise is also a blast - recently reprinted
Turfmaster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one you may want to check out is Real Action Stock Car Racing (ID# 890). It's more on the NASCAR side but it's probably the best simulation of that if you add the realism pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Detroit Cleveland is a good game, but less visually appealing than Forumla De, if you can manage to get a copy. I think in a public setting, Formula De would have wide appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff wrote:
Detroit Cleveland is a good game, but less visually appealing than Forumla De, if you can manage to get a copy. I think in a public setting, Formula De would have wide appeal.

Thats what I'm thinking too. I know that there was word that someone was going to be reprinting Formula De but I can't remember who or when they had given some timeline on it. Its the one that I'm really holding out for but my hand may be forced to spend the remaining money before they get it out.

Anyone know anything more about who and when we'll see Formula De again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.