BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What's the cheapest place to buy Power Grid in Toronto, ON? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I'm a huge RISK fan but I think it's time for me to try some newer and more complex games. I want to buy Power Grid but the problem is, where is the best place to buy it? I don't think any of the big name stores like Walmart or Zellers carry it, so I need you guys to help me . Another thing is I'm a bit spontaneous and I want it by Wednesday....so really my options are to hit a brick and mortar store or take a chance and buy it from www.germangames.com (in Ontario) and have them express ship it to me.. I was also wondering, they have it for $40.....is that the best deal?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What's the cheapest place to buy Power Grid in Toronto,
This GeekList is a little old, but it might help you track down the price you want to pay: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11485

Still, $40 is decent. I often see it retailing for upwards of $50 or so.

Chris

EDIT: www.meeplemart.com has PG listed for $39.47. Meeple Mart is located in Toronto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
In terms of B&M stores, I'm not sure where you are, but right downtown (Yonge Street) there are:

-401 would likely have the cheapest local price for the game if they have it in stock

-Hairy Tarantula would likely have the game, but the price would be higher (you can always wait for one of their 25% off sales!)

-in other parts of town there're also Gryphon on Sheppard East, 2 Headed Dragon near North York Centre, Hairy T West near the Junction, Comic Warehouse in Brampton (excellent selection) among a few others. Any of these would be reasonable choices as well, though 2HD has a very limited selection of board games and I'm not sure of the prices at Gryphon or Comic Warehouse...

-there are some whose prices are completely ridiculous (i.e. Game Trek and Game Zone) so don't bother with them.....

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
Im in Scarborough (near Warden/Finch) but I think I can try downtown....

Lots of stores to check out, not enough time ..do you know which one is the cheapest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chamberlain
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are some good suggestions. Here is another...whatever you do, do not, I repeat, do not buy the game from GameTrek in the Hotel. Their prices are way too high. At least $20 more than any other place I've been for any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtxed wrote:
Lots of stores to check out, not enough time ..do you know which one is the cheapest?

No clue. Call the stores, see if they have it in stock and do price comparisons. At least then you don't have to worry about heading off to a store where you think it's cheapest only to find it's not in stock.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
Yep Im doing that right now.

Meeples looks good, but they dont have a physical store. Their website looks a bit fishy too. And they charge $15 shipping! Anyhow, I emailed them asking if we could meet up for pickup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
What do you know, Meeple just emailed me back saying they can meet up with me on Wednesday, downtown, and sell Power Grid for $45 taxes in. Very nice deal as I get to save on shipping.

Anyone deal with them before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have lots of experience with many of the stores which have been suggested so far...

Meeplemart: Excellent prices, but shipping is too expensive and selection is limited. If you can meet up with the guy, and he carries the game you want, this is likely your BEST price/ convenience option. He's a nice guy, too.

Germangames: Also excellent. Price and selection are very good (better than all the B & Ms, but sometimes a little more than meeplemart). Service is great. Shipping rate is very reasonable. I now do most of my online shopping here.

B & M downtown: Hairy Tarantula and 401 games are practically across the street from each other (Yonge and Gerrard). 401 is cheaper but has less selection. If you feel like browsing, these are you best choices.

B & M Brampton: Comic Warehouse has very good selection and good prices for a physical store (+/- Hairy Tarantula level)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brotherwood
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have brought alot of stuff from Robert at Meeplemart, nice guy and good prices if u live in T.O., tho alot of stuff is not in stock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than Game Trek (where the price would be extravagant) the only place I have seen Power Grid recently has been at Comic Warehouse in Brampton ($54.95 according to their Website)

401 just got a large shipment but I did not see Power Grid there today (I believe they have some expansion boards, though). Hairy T is about to have a 25% of Board Games sale (starting Sept 28) but I don't think they have it in stock either.

I cannot recall whether it is at The Game and Hobby Zone in Cumberland Terrace ( underground @ 2 Bloor ), but the prices there are only slightly lower than Game Trek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also vouch for Robert at Meeplemart. I've been able to get a few special orders from him for things not listed on his site and he was willing to meet up with me downtown to do the exchange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rutley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameTrek's sold out of it anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's still available, then Hairy T or 401 Games can order it in a couple of days. Both have good prices - probably the best you'll get off-line. I know 401 has the expansion maps right now in stock, but I don't recall seeing the game itself....Hairy T is also having a 25% off sale soon - starts this Thursday I believe - if it is available, they will usually order it in for the sale if you call and request it.

www.401games.ca
www.hairyt.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and on another note, although Power Grid is great too, you might want to start out with El Grande if you are a Risk fan. It's an area control game, but with all the euro-game goodness. It is more political and sneaky than the out-right money-management of PowerGrid. It has just been re-released and can be found in most specialty stores right now. Excellent game that won the Spiele des jarres way back when it first came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Legault
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never EVER shop at Gametrek, EVER!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.