Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: Antike on-sale at Funagain Games for $29.95 USD rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: sales [+] funagain [+] [View All]
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Antike is on-sale at Funagain games for $29.95.

http://tinyurl.co.uk/e44b

(http://www.funagain.com/control/product/~product_id=015465;jsessionid=90F9A55CDDEFC4ACD36278753ECDB986.jvm1)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. I paid twice that much for mine
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Nice. I paid twice that much for mine


Me too! The game is terrific though, and the designer is a really nice guy. Can't wait for Imperialism, his next effort, to hit my FLGS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that this is the Eggertspiele edition, NOT the (upcoming) RGG edition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rio Grande Games (English) version is: $47.95

http://www.funagain.com/control/product/~product_id=016084

I can get it at my FLGS for about the same so I am picking it up there on Wednesday. I have read the rules and watched the video on Board Games with Scott and I can't wait to play.

Here is link to BGwS - Antike episode: http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=20
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Inntrepid wrote:
The Rio Grande Games (English) version is: $47.95

http://www.funagain.com/control/product/~product_id=016084

I can get it at my FLGS for about the same so I am picking it up there on Wednesday. I have read the rules and watched the video on Board Games with Scott and I can't wait to play.

Here is link to BGwS - Antike episode: http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=20


Not sure I would go with the Rio Grande Games version... they made a mess of the reprints of Goa and El Grande. The Eggertspiele version has English rules also, so no need to buy the RGG one, and take a chance at lower component quality. The Eggertspiele version has very good component quality.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vögel
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I've been on this site for 15 years now, and I'm far from sick of games, but I think I prefer a better balance of favorites to new games. I'm also tired of playing 4+ hr multiplayer games, but I'll still happily play really long games 2 player.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Not sure I would go with the Rio Grande Games version... they made a mess of the reprints of Goa and El Grande.


No hyperbole in that statement. No sir. Level and fair. Huge mess. Just having those reprints in your house will make radon gas stream out of your basement and give your dog cancer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shaveandahaircut wrote:
Just having those reprints in your house will make radon gas stream out of your basement and give your dog cancer.


LOL.

I didn't know the smell was a major problem, just board and box warp, bad die-cutting on the counters, and cheasy card quality. Oh, and ink transfering from one component to another during shipping.

Again, Eggertspiele version has good-ole German-quailty components.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to worry on the RGG version, it was made in Germany and I found that the quality was quite good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh! Get the German/English edition! The pieces are so much more delicious!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm Rio Grande's meeples aren't as low gravity or meaty as the first edition. TIme to track it down quickly then, I don't fear one side of the board being in German! Rawr!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whats really annoying is that I had already pre-ordered the RGG version with the library grant money BEFORE they announced the reduced rate on the german version and, naturally, my order had already shipped.

Oh well... whaddaya gonna do? shake


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryokowerx wrote:
Whats really annoying is that I had already pre-ordered the RGG version with the library grant money BEFORE they announced the reduced rate on the german version and, naturally, my order had already shipped.

Oh well... whaddaya gonna do? shake




Simply enjoy the game. The gameplay is terrific.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that I was going to curb my spending on games...then this comes up. Well, I'm on board now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I got "suckered" into this deal.

Total cost after shipping was only $8 less than retail for the RGG version, and will likely be equivalent to the stronger online discounters prices on the RGG version.

Still, a German issue is a German issue. I do like my true German Euphrat und Tigris. It's just got a much more austere vibe than the reissue. I'm sure it's all in my head.

The only reason I got the new Oltremare was because all reports indicated the board needed to be bigger.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Add almost $11 shipping and you're probably about at the same price you could buy it at a large game store. About $40.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Add almost $11 shipping and you're probably about at the same price you could buy it at a large game store. About $40.


I think MSRP on the German edition is more like $59.00, not $40.00. I'm I misundertanding you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Add almost $11 shipping and you're probably about at the same price you could buy it at a large game store. About $40.


if you have a local shop, but then you also have sales tax too. Gas and tax would add another $16 were I to drive and pick it up at the closest game store.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If the prices are more or less equal, then I'll choose the Euro-printed game , any day of the week. In fact, knowing that this was the German version, is what nudged me into pulling the trigger on this deal. Let's face it; With the possible exception of the rules translations, the Euro version of a game is almost always superior, component-wise, to it's American clone, (which was more than likely assembled in the far east). And any rules ambiguities, can usually be cleared up, right at this site. Sorry to say it but, they just do a better job on the other side of the Atlantic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For how much, Peso Pete? And in my case, the people at my ULGS (Unfriendly Local Game Store), are louts, and I'll have nothing to do with them.

(edit): I take that back. Every three months I'll stop in and and quickly pick up a copy of Games Quarterly...for free. Outside of that, I say, "screw 'em". (and at one time, I was a frequent customer).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
I just bought a copy last night at my FLGS and was looking at it last night. I don't mind paying a few bucks extra to support my FLGS.


If I had a local one I would not either, but still in the case it seems a bit more than a few bucks if we are talking about MSRP

Funagain:
$29.95 game + $11 shipping = $40

My not local game store:
$59.95 (MSRP) + 6.375% + 2*(60 miles)*(1 gal/20 miles)*($2.25/gal)
$59.95 + $3.82 + $13.50 = $77

so that would be almost double for me. I realize it could be wildly different for others, but they are offering the German version at a very good price, 50% off MSRP.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure they could change my mind compared to an extra 30% off.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crockerdile wrote:
If the prices are more or less equal, then I'll choose the Euro-printed game , any day of the week. In fact, knowing that this was the German version, is what nudged me into pulling the trigger on this deal. Let's face it; With the possible exception of the rules translations, the Euro version of a game is almost always superior, component-wise, to it's American clone, (which was more than likely assembled in the far east). And any rules ambiguities, can usually be cleared up, right at this site. Sorry to say it but, they just do a better job on the other side of the Atlantic.


Almost all of RGG's games are printed in Germany. In fact they are piggy-backed on the German production run to reduce costs. The Goa and El Grande reprints are notable exceptions to this rule. When you buy a RGG game you are normally getting the exact same product as they get in Germany only with English components.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:
Crockerdile wrote:
If the prices are more or less equal, then I'll choose the Euro-printed game , any day of the week. In fact, knowing that this was the German version, is what nudged me into pulling the trigger on this deal. Let's face it; With the possible exception of the rules translations, the Euro version of a game is almost always superior, component-wise, to it's American clone, (which was more than likely assembled in the far east). And any rules ambiguities, can usually be cleared up, right at this site. Sorry to say it but, they just do a better job on the other side of the Atlantic.


Almost all of RGG's games are printed in Germany. In fact they are piggy-backed on the German production run to reduce costs. The Goa and El Grande reprints are notable exceptions to this rule. When you buy a RGG game you are normally getting the exact same product as they get in Germany only with English components.


But don't El Grande and Goa represent Rio Grande's latest efforts? And as such, do you think it's fair for us to consider that their trend?

Anyone privy to the inside informaiton on Rio Grande's China vs. Germany production plans for future releases?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:
When you buy a RGG game you are normally getting the exact same product as they get in Germany only with English components.


wonder why the changed the meeples and little boats for the English version of Antike?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.