Subject: Rod and Sparky against the world rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gonecase gonecase
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning: This post, which I tried to do in-character, reveals one of the crossroads cards.

Rod and Sparky before the chaos...

4 players. Main quest was to find 8 meds (non-starter).
My secret objective was to find 2 fuel tanks, 1 food and a gun and complete the main quest.

----

I know they wanted my foldable chair. I don't know how I got holed up with this bunch that resembled some reboot of YMCA. Sparky and I were the normal ones.

We had a doctor, a lawyer who still bothered to put on perfume, a female (!!) construction worker, a fireman, a fortune teller and an Asian guy dressed all in black who said he was a dancer.

"What kind?" I asked.

"Modern jazz dance," he replied. Something about his voice warned me against asking anything else.

Doctor Brown, who looks serious and seems to know what she’s doing, said she was on the verge of finding the cure. She needed more medicine and "could fix things", whatever that meant. I suspected she was using it for personal consumption, but just sitting there waiting for the zombies to arrive was going to be death anyway.

Once the storm cleared, it was time to venture out.

The fireman, whom the girls were all ogling, was the first guy out of the door. He was heading to the hospital. Me? I wanted firepower. I made my way to the police station. Sparky I sent to the grocers. He's the smartest dog ever. We've spent years on the road but he still knows this town like the back of his paw.

I didn't have to search too long. First thing I found in some cop's drawer was a colt pistol and some bullets. I didn't want to tell the others.

I don't know about the doctor, but I needed some cans of fuel, some energy bars and a gun, so Sparky and me could survive when this colony went bust. I could revive the truck and head to Beantown.

All the others didn't have my knowledge of the place. I'd grown up here. Knew them like the drinks menu at the bar. I slipped to the petrol kiosk, hoping to skive some gas. But it was near my house, I knew I had to pop in to see how things were at home. Me and Pa never got along, and he said I'd be a sanitation worker or a taxi driver. I didn't quite end up as those things, but being a truck driver didn’t make him proud.

I had to see how it turned out. The front door was open and I felt the need to tell Ma that I was back. Something in me half-expected toasted cheese sandwiches and warm milk waiting at the dinner table.

But once I opened the door and stepped in I knew this was no longer home. Even in the cold, still air it wasn’t the smell of burnt toast and cheese greeting me. It was the smell of decay. I took a step towards the kitchen and there was Ma on the floor, her wig just next to her. I guessed it could have been worse. She was dead and not one of the Zs.

My eyes wanted to fill with tears but I didn’t allow myself to cry. I touched her back, not daring to turn her over. The world became blurry. There was the sound of something shambling towards me. I turned and saw my dad, except his face was a mess, like someone had thrown a bowling ball right at it.

I raised the Colt and took aim. Even in undeath he moved like in life - lurching, every step a lunge. I could put him out of his misery. Shoot him in the head, make him gone.

But I couldn't take the shot. I backed away. Dad let out a grunt, and as I got closer to the door I could hear the same wheezing breaths that he had when he was alive. I closed the door behind me. He banged against it. The last I saw of him was his face pressed against the glass, a single red-veined eye staring at me.

I went back to the gas station and started searching for petrol again, but all I found was boxes of instant noodles and bars of chocolate. Usable, but not what I needed. I hoped Sparky was having more luck. That damn dog; it was lucky he never saw what happened to my parents. I was considering whether I could even tell him.

The petrol station door swung open and I almost had another heart attack. It was the fortune teller, Talia. I hadn't found much medicine, but the colony needed other supplies. They were running out of fuel for the generators. I reluctantly gave up some of what I was keeping. I didn't want them to think I wasn't part of the team. But I suspected that Doc Brown and the legal eagle were using the fuel to make fondue or something.

"Let me help," Talia said, not waiting for me to say whether I needed it or not. She was a strange woman who just had a long trenchcoat, while I looked like a urine-stained Michelin man. I asked if she needed my jacket but she shook her head.

She was making a lot of noise as she searched, and I cautioned her to keep it down, but she didn't seem to listen, or pretended not to understand. I was spooked, but I needed more fuel for the truck. Finally found a can just beneath the cash register. I could see the Zs shambling towards the station. Things were going to go George Romero pretty soon. I told her I was leaving and she didn't acknowledge me. I left the gas station in a hurry, managing to lead one of the Zs away. Maybe the fortune teller had seen the future and thought she'd be safe? I don't know, but I now just wanted to search for the meds that the team needed.

The crackling walkie talkie I carried updated me on the latest - the lawyer was gone, chomped by a Z as soon as she stepped out of the protective area. Maybe it was a former unsatisfied client. The fire guy had managed to find some meds, and we had to bribe some raiders with food to leave us alone. It sounded like I wasn't doing my part. Dance boy was hanging around the colony, doing housecleaning.

At the general store, the Zs had almost overrun the place. Sparky was there, had found some medicine and I ordered him back to the outpost. I took one of the Zs, who looked like an office worker, down with the pistol. I imagined my dad's face exploding. Maybe I'd do the deed before I left this town.

I was searching desperately. $2 sunglasses, playboy magazines, rotted sausages even the Zs wouldn't touch, but no meds. Not even an aspirin.

The back door opened and there was the fortune teller again. She had followed me here? Damn it. There were already enough Zs, knocking down the barricades.

And that's when things went south. She started chanting, and the Zs were coming like rats. The woman had a death wish. The walkie talkie came on. I heard that the fireman had found a stash of pills and Sparky had delivered the last of the medicines the doc needed.

"It took a bite," the doctor said. "But it..."

"He," I said. "He's no IT."

"What did you say?" I heard that bag of fleas in the background, whining.

The walkie sputtered and let out a tinny whine before the red light indicator for the battery just dimmed like a dying flare.

"Take good care of my chair, Sparky," I said. The Zs broke through the door and tore into the fortune teller. I swear she had a smile on her face as she became lunch and dinner. I looked for an exit but there was no escape. I raised my gun to my head and told myself at least I wouldn't see dad in the afterlife.

---

TLDR - 4 players. Main quest was to find 8 meds (non-starter).
My secret objective was to find 2 fuel tanks, 1 food and a gun and complete the main quest.

Everyone won except me on the last move, as the Grocery Store was overrun (there were already two zombies) and Rod was holding the necessary gun. The player with the fortune teller needed to have only one survivor at the end of the game, which was why she was suicidal.

Still, a lot of fun. Not having a betrayer made things a little easier, though I did suspect the fortune teller player. We finished at the end of turn 2 with 1 morale left after the two deaths.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The crossroads card was basically as played. And if the character had shot dad I’d have an extra gun and won the game along with the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Things were going to go George Romero pretty soon.

Awesome session report! Perfectly getting the feeling down!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shade Of Grey
msg tools
But you did notice the Modern Jazz practices somehow kept the zombies out of the shelter. Not that he would admit to it, but Cho wished there was something he could have done to prove Talia wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That crossroad card isn't Rod specific, is it? Funny, the game I played on Thanksgiving had Rod getting the exact same card.

My cousin was the one who had Rod as a follower that game. He went for the kill. Free gun, right? Got bit. wowshakelaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonecase gonecase
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Quote:
Things were going to go George Romero pretty soon.

Awesome session report! Perfectly getting the feeling down!

Thanks for a great game! First time around we messed up the rules. (keeping multiple cards after making noise during searches, thinking the threshold for the waste pile was 20..) This time I think we got almost everything right.

joepinion wrote:
That crossroad card isn't Rod specific, is it? Funny, the game I played on Thanksgiving had Rod getting the exact same card.

My cousin was the one who had Rod as a follower that game. He went for the kill. Free gun, right? Got bit. wowshakelaugh

Nope, it isn't.

Yeah, was thinking whether I should just do it but that red die can be nasty...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joepinion wrote:
Free gun, right?

FYI (I don't have the card in front of me, but IIRC) the card does not actually count as a gun. It functions like one, and that is the implication of the card, but it doesn't count as an equipment card (unless it says it does, in which case my memory is wrong, and I'll delete this post).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonecase gonecase
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadeogrey wrote:
But you did notice the Modern Jazz practices somehow kept the zombies out of the shelter. Not that he would admit to it, but Cho wished there was something he could have done to prove Talia wrong.

Those jazz hands are dangerous...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.