Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Warrior Knights» Forums » Rules

Subject: Private Agendas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Chamberlain
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One other question please. I'm at work and I have the rules. Just got the game yesterday. I'm reading them while on break. Since I don't have the game with me now, and when I went quickly through it yesterday, I didn't see any agendas for private. Is there any cards for private agendas or just something you make up?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are specific "Private Motion" cards in the deck. When they are in the assembly, as the rules say a random player gets to decide what the motion is from the options listed in the rules, and its always the first item voted on.
So far in the games I've played the popular use for them is to try to repeal a powerful charge from someome - anything that grants VP, for example. But I've only played three games, so don't read too much into what I say.
 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there should be some "Private Motion" cards in your deck of Assembly agendas. There are any number of uses but you kinda need to use some common sense here. You shouldn't allow such motions as, "I win immediately," or "Noble X is banned from the Assembly" (this last might be controversial but we play that a Private Motion cannot duplicate the effects of specific Agenda or Event cards, only undo them). For example, Private Motions can also be used to undo the effects of Event Cards that have lasting effects, but may not invoke them. In this regard you may find groups of players that are more or less liberal in their interpretation. The rules and the FAQ are not very definitive here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
"There are any number of uses but you kinda need to use some common sense here.
...
The rules and the FAQ are not very definitive here."

The rules are quite definitive; there are exactly 4 uses for private motions:
1) Rescind the ban on a Baron banned from the assembly.
2) Revoke a charge, office or law.
3) Postpone the assembly (meaning the assembly ends immediately)
4) Vote on any motion in the discard pile.

There is an optional variant where you can make any sort of private motion you want. If you want to open that can of worms, in my opinion you are just asking for trouble.

Normally, revoking offices and being able to re-bring out anything from the discard pile should give you plenty of uses for private motions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chamberlain
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the replies.

I was able to look through my deck of agendas and can only find 2 private agendas. Is that right? I have the 44 cards in the deck. Having only 2 private agendas doesn't seem right. I don't see private agendas coming up enough to be much use, or fun, with only 2 in the deck. Am I missing something here?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
The rules are quite definitive; there are exactly 4 uses for private motions:
1) Rescind the ban on a Baron banned from the assembly.
2) Revoke a charge, office or law.
3) Postpone the assembly (meaning the assembly ends immediately)
4) Vote on any motion in the discard pile.

There is an optional variant where you can make any sort of private motion you want. If you want to open that can of worms, in my opinion you are just asking for trouble.


Fine, but refer to the first para of the FAQ which states, under "Cancelling Events," that, "Only a Private Motion will allow a player to get rid of one of these cards..." "These cards" being those that have lasting events such as "heretic," "broken line," etc. This section is not talking about the optional use of Private Motions. I stick by my original post - the worms are already out there...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
Fine, but refer to the first para of the FAQ which states, under "Cancelling Events," that, "Only a Private Motion will allow a player to get rid of one of these cards..." "These cards" being those that have lasting events such as "heretic," "broken line," etc. This section is not talking about the optional use of Private Motions. I stick by my original post - the worms are already out there...

Hm, I had not paid much attention to the FAQ before. Obviously, you can't normally use the Private Motions for that...I'm guessing one of the FAQ writers is used to playing with variants, or got mixed up somewhere along the line. I would not take it to mean that in a normal game you could use a private motion to cancel such an event.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could be right...which is why I mentioned that the rules and the FAQ are not as definitive as you might wish. However, I think you'll find that the use of Private Motions to cancel events (with lasting effects) is widely accepted as part of the base game rule set.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.