Adam Frandsen
United States
Eagle Mountain
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bolt-On rules say that you can pick and choose which elements of Loka you want to use. I recently tried to play a game of Loka without the battle dice (just regular capturing, check, and checkmate) and found that it was impossible to do, because some situations came up that aren't explained in the rules.

Basically, check and checkmate don't work correctly in a team-oriented chess game.

For example: it's possible to create a discovered check using my teammate's piece as the attacker (e.g., if I move my bishop out of the way, my teammate's rook is suddenly in line to attack an opponent's king). Then, on my teammate's turn, he can simply capture the opposing Red king, before the Red player even has a chance to move her king to safety. That's definitely not how check and checkmate are supposed to function!

I know that Turanga, the expansion to Loka's predecessor, MUST have rules that cover these weird situations, but I can't find these rules anywhere. If someone has access to the Turanga rules, I would greatly appreciate if you could point me to an online link or an uploaded scan of the rules, because they could definitely be applied to this variant of Loka. That or any other help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Cavatore

Nottingham
Unspecified
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Adam, thanks for your support all these years! Please let me know if you can see this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxuh47dxzksu4dl/TurangaRules.pdf?d...

Alessio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Frandsen
United States
Eagle Mountain
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for getting back to me with those rules, Alessio! I've really been enjoying your games more and more lately. However, I am still confused about this.

Let's say that Player 1 moves a piece out of the way, which uncovers his teammate's (Player 3's) Rook. Now, Player 3's Rook suddenly threatens Player 4's King.

What should Player 2 do in response to this?

If Player 2 doesn't notice the threat against her teammate, and does nothing about it, then Player 3 will be in position on his turn to capture Player 4's King. Does this mean that Player 4 is checkmated because of his teammate's mistake?

Or, is Player 2 FORCED to defend her teammate's King on her turn, if she is able to do so, since Player 4 has no chance of defending himself?

I hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Squire
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . .
badge
‘I could tell you my adventures–beginning from this morning,’ said Alice a little timidly: ‘but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.’
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late to the party but since this hasn't been resolved I will throw my two cents in.

In a more traditional 4 player set-up check and checkmate are not resolved until the checked player's turn. Kings are never taken, they are only surrendered.

So, in your scenario, player one moves and should politely announce check.
Player 2 can make any move they want to make.
Player 3 does not take Player 4's King. They might strengthen the check, or if they move the rook they might end up unchecking Player 4.
Player 4 must protect against check or if they are checkmated they resign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Frandsen
United States
Eagle Mountain
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's immensely helpful Corey. Thank you, that makes perfect sense and is probably the best way to proceed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.