BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: I just went over board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite a busy schedule which means little time to play, the hoarder in me just set aside a monthly budget to keep buying games.

Just when I told myself to stop buying for a month to cool off, I realized that it is the wrong season to make such a promise to myself.

And it happened. Someone for some strange reason decided to let go of his personal collection at bargain prices. Seeing that there were some OOP titles, I jumped at it and boosted my collection by 50 games at least.

As I carried those newly acquired games home, I asked myself wtf am I doing?

There is no more storage space. It would be a long time before I get a chance to even start playing any of them.

Oh well, I will make something good out of this obsessive-compulsory disorder. I shall start a Boardgame club at my school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I hear is: you got some awesome games, and now you're starting a club (which is also awesome!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
All I hear is: you got some awesome games, and now you're starting a club (which is also awesome!)

Thanks for being so affirmative and positive! I guess it's about making the best out of the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
angatheart wrote:
Despite a busy schedule which means little time to play... I asked myself wtf am I doing?...

I asked myself the same thing and started a geeklist to address the issue. One reader chimed in and said that he did something like what you did. I thought about it for a minute and figured that people buy stuff BECAUSE we don't have time to enjoy ourselves.

Spending some of that hard-earned money on promises is a fast way to reward oneself, even if the reward is absent in the long run. What one should really ask oneself is: how much effort would it take to call up a friend and meet on any given weekday from monday to friday?
Then do that frequently.
Meet up right after work, cook together, eat while discussing games/going over the rules, play games, go home, sleep, repeat.

The more time one spends away from the computer the more time one has to enjoy the company of others. Also; you save more money that way

The monthly game budget should be spent on the extra cost of eating away or buying more food for your guests. Then play the games you already own until you are sick of them. Sell them and keep going
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+50 games = win. You won't always be busy 24/7. Being prepared for when you do have free time = win again.

arrrh

and down the road if you find you want to let some go sell off the OOP titles for loads of $.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Coming here and asking for help with your "spending problem" is like going to a bar when you want to drink less alcohol....
But 50 games at once sound kinda problematic, even if you have the extra money....
Maybe you can reflect on your buys and donate some fitting games to schools or youth centres...

On the other site... yeah 50 games and starting a club sounds great Even if you only start the club to support your (maybe) unhealthy aquisition disorder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the strange ideas I have is that when I do get the time to play, analyze and study the games, I might just become a designer like them.

But I admit I have yet to get into the depth of things yet. Just buying games alone won't make things happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
angatheart wrote:
Just buying games alone won't make things happen.

Take that statement to heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
One way we saved money was via joining a local board gaming club. We learnt tonnes of games there, many of which we did not like that much and therefore did not buy. We only bought those that we really really liked, e.g. Glen More.

Indeed, since joining the local board gaming club in Jan 2012, our game purchase has slowed to at most 5 base games a year. We do buy expansions of games we own and are fans of, e.g. Agricola, but that's about it.

Board games need to be played. I hope you will play the ones you bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angatheart wrote:
There is no more storage space. It would be a long time before I get a chance to even start playing any of them.
If you're feeling excitement and anticipation before buying games and disappointment and regret immediately after buying them, that's not a good sign. We all know that rush we got when we bought our first great game. But most games aren't great, and buying them isn't going to magically make you feel awesome. If the fun of buying games is in the buying and not the playing, examine that.

I can help you out though... I'll take some of those games off your hands at cost. Strictly as a favor you understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the title "I just went over board", I was almost expecting a post about how you lost a game of Walk The Plank; so it was nice to see it was really about scoring 50+ games. Good luck with the game club!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what sweet OOP treasures did you score?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's even worst if you regret it later for missing the deal. Getting OOP games for at good price is always a sweet deal Also, you could always sell games later.

Applaud the notion on starting a board game club! Good luck!

p/s Now if you could tell us what OOP games were in the deal, that would be sweet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
angatheart wrote:
If you're feeling excitement and anticipation before buying games and disappointment and regret immediately after buying them, that's not a good sign. We all know that rush we got when we bought our first great game. But most games aren't great, and buying them isn't going to magically make you feel awesome. If the fun of buying games is in the buying and not the playing, examine that.

I can help you out though... I'll take some of those games off your hands at cost. Strictly as a favor you understand.

Very perceptive!

A lot to examine indeed.

I don't live in the US though, so not a good option. The greatest regret for me when it comes to buying games lies in the shipping charges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
So what sweet OOP treasures did you score?

Space Hulk 3rd edition is what caught my eye and fancy first.

War of the ring is another jewel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was going to stop buying games this month ... but the sales are too much for my willpower. Not to mention, there have been some really good auctions going on! Easier to stop buying in January and February, right?

And if you do your collection right, you can bring a bag of really good and interesting games to just about any occasion, which I can do now.

On a more hopeful note, you can probably resell some of those 50 games that you don't want to others in your country that don't want to pay shipping, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
angatheart wrote:

I'm not sure that Space Hulk 3 really counts as "OOP" when Space Hulk 4 is exactly the same thing with a couple extra bits. Still, I'm guessing the price you paid for it was significantly less than GW's ridiculous shelf price for 4, so it's still a great deal.

War of the Ring is a good find, too. =)

Any others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
angatheart wrote:

I'm not sure that Space Hulk 3 really counts as "OOP" when Space Hulk 4 is exactly the same thing with a couple extra bits. Still, I'm guessing the price you paid for it was significantly less than GW's ridiculous shelf price for 4, so it's still a great deal.

War of the Ring is a good find, too. =)

Any others?

Metropolys
Mississippi queen
Cave troll
Starcraft
Hannibal
El grande
Warrior knights
Long shot
Notre dame
Runeboun
modern art
Blue moon city
Conflict of heroes: storm of steel

I guess these are all OOP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
angatheart wrote:

Metropolys
Mississippi queen
Cave troll
Starcraft
Hannibal
El grande
Warrior knights
Long shot
Notre dame
Runeboun
modern art
Blue moon city
Conflict of heroes: storm of steel

I guess these are all OOP?

I believe so (without checking.) I know for a fact that Mississippi Queen and El Grande both are OOP, and those are both gems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
Kursplat2 wrote:
With the title "I just went over board", I was almost expecting a post about how you lost a game of Walk The Plank; so it was nice to see it was really about scoring 50+ games. Good luck with the game club!

LOL... I had a similar thought, except about Overboard!
ninja'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.