Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played some great games of Antike this weekend, but have one question.

The rules say that you receive one Navigator for every seven seas sailed. Nicely alliterative that, but ultimately unhelpful for us. So does "seven seas a-sailing" mean:

1- seven or more ships currently in seven different seas?
2- your ships at one time or another have sailed in seven different seas?
3- a line from an X-mas carol which ends in "...and a partridge in a pear tree"?

Thanks for any help!

TT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Herr Niemand wrote:
Just played some great games of Antike this weekend, but have one question.

The rules say that you receive one Navigator for every seven seas sailed. Nicely alliterative that, but ultimately unhelpful for us. So does "seven seas a-sailing" mean:

1- seven or more ships currently in seven different seas?
2- your ships at one time or another have sailed in seven different seas?
3- a line from an X-mas carol which ends in "...and a partridge in a pear tree"?

Thanks for any help!

TT

It is #1. You get your first Navigator if at the end of your turn, you have ships in at least 7 sea regions. You get a second Navigator if at the end of your turn, you have ships in at least 14 sea regions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks so much Dave for the fast response! This is what we thought, but weren't sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, #1 is correct. Note this makes the navigator one of the harder personalities to acquire (at least if you want more than one of them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules with the latest issue make this clear:
Quote:
A province is
counted as a sailed sea for the nation when it
has at least one of the nation‘s galleys in it at the
end of a turn. Other nations‘ galleys standing in
the same provinces are simply ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Menard
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
HisDivineShadow wrote:
The rules with the latest issue make this clear:
Quote:
A province is
counted as a sailed sea for the nation when it
has at least one of the nation‘s galleys in it at the
end of a turn. Other nations‘ galleys standing in
the same provinces are simply ignored.

This is precisely the text that confused me. By the wording, if at the end of a turn I have a galley in Sparta, it is counted as a sailed sea. If I move that galley to Knossos, that would be counted as a sailed sea, bringing my total to 2 sailed seas. If I moved the same galley to 5 other seas on different turns, according to the wording I should qualify for a Navigator card.

Unfortunately, the thematic wording got in the way of a clear interpretation. A simple, but clear wording of what I think the intended rule would be:

"A nation receives a navigator card if it occupies 7 different seazones with galleys at the end of a turn. A nation receives a second navigator card if it occupies 14 different seazones with galleys at the end of a turn"

We ended up playing it with this wording in our first game, but there was some debate as to whether we needed pen and paper to keep track of the seazones "sailed" by our galleys as they moved around the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.