Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wes Johnson
United States
Carrboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 5 time before one of the flaps tore away from the snap. Has anyone else had a problem yet? It isn't the end of the world but I hoped it would last longer than that.

I've contacted Arcane Wonders and hopefully will hear back soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
SON OF A BITCH MUST PAY
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad news

I've only had one game so far and they've been fine for me so far. One thing that I noticed is that if you're tugging gently at the snap it seems to have quite a lot of resistance and looks as though it's going to come out of the bag, but if you really rip at it with a very quick, strong pull there doesn't feel like much resistance at all.

This would suggest that a quick, strong pull is preferable to a more measured opening, but that goes against logic, doesn't it?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just inform everyone before starting to pull the actual plastic snap apart instead of just pulling the fabric. Zero issues so far because of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't snap the bags at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wilcoxen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Rokkr wrote:

But the sound of the snap adds so much drama to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaangelo wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

But the sound of the snap adds so much drama to the game!

Especially when the snapping sound is followed by a ripping sound which is then followed by the sound of the game's owner wheeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Void
United States
Shepherdstown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rokkr wrote:

the rules specify that the sound of the snap ends all discussion on deals, how do you do that (define an end to all deals) without snap use? You can't--in a way, using the snap is required by the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We decided to not use the snapper and just lay the bags flap-down. Once the sheriff turns it over, it's considered a check. It was a great idea, but the snappers look way too weak to withstand repeated plays. We'll be actively looking for a substitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kicbak wrote:
We played 5 time before one of the flaps tore away from the snap. Has anyone else had a problem yet? It isn't the end of the world but I hoped it would last longer than that.

I've contacted Arcane Wonders and hopefully will hear back soon.

Funny, 5 games was exactly what it took my copy to have a snap rip open from the bag too...

Did you ever hear back from Arcane Wonders? I just contacted them, but for some reason I get the feel they won't really want to replace it... I hope I'm wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
void_presence wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

the rules specify that the sound of the snap ends all discussion on deals, how do you do that (define an end to all deals) without snap use? You can't--in a way, using the snap is required by the rules

The bags lie on the table in front of the sheriff. Pick the bag up and commit to opening. Push the bag away, commit to not opening.

The play of the game is changed in absolutely no way using this method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. a big part of the fun of the game, for us, is holding up the bag, pretending you're going to open, threatening with the flap, and so on. Sure, your experience can be different, to each group their own way of having fun... Either way, it's not unreasonable to expect the components in a game about bags being handled and opened should be able to withstand handling and opening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmaia wrote:
I disagree. a big part of the fun of the game, for us, is holding up the bag, pretending you're going to open, threatening with the flap, and so on. Sure, your experience can be different, to each group their own way of having fun... Either way, it's not unreasonable to expect the components in a game about bags being handled and opened should be able to withstand handling and opening.

Use your imagination. There are a myriad ways of having exactly the effect you wish without using the snap. Just for starters you could playfully flick the flap without exposing any cards. Holding the flap open equates to unsnapping it. Same fun, same threat, same results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. You could do those things. But that's not the point. That doesn't change the fact that the game components, in some users' experiences, may not be sturdy enough to withstand its use as intended. It's like someone saying "I bought a glass and it broke in my mouth when I drank some water", and someone replying "well just use a straw. it's the same effect. be creative." Well, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that something you got to drink water broke when you used it as intended.

As it was mentioned above, even the rules reference the snapping. I understand your point and your intention to help, but my (and I believe the OP's) interest on the thread is seeing how people's experiences have been when using the game component according to the rules and as intended. This way we can see, for example, if maybe we got a bad batch, or if it's just low quality of the product, or if we're handling it abnormally roughly (again, compared to its intended use, not to ways of using it to avoid even using the component).

At least in my experience, it's not like we're pulling the flaps like hulking madmen, we were pretty careful and mostly pulling the flap as close to the snap as we could. And it still broke - after only five games. That surprises me. I wonder how many people (who are actually using the snap) may be facing the same issue, or how Arcane Wonders has responded to other people with the same issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do as you wish. I'm not defending the cheap bags, but merely pointing out that I won't let their cheapness diminish my fun. I severely doubt they'll manufacture better ones and hand them out as replacements.

So have fun and break your bags or don't break them and still have fun. It's entirely up to you.

But you'll never convince me that I'm having less fun not using the snaps. If you have less fun, sorry about your luck.

Oh and if you want to know if the snaps are cheap or not, looking at one is enough to figure out they are all cheap. That was pretty evident much earlier in this thread. Good luck with that dead horse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Johnson
United States
Carrboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They were really fast in helping. Wanted my to take a picture for quality control. I suspect that they just wanted proof, got a new one in a few days.Really good customer sevice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kicbak wrote:
They were really fast in helping. Wanted my to take a picture for quality control. I suspect that they just wanted proof, got a new one in a few days.Really good customer sevice

Awesome Wes, thank you so much! That's great to know. I had sent them an email just before finding this thread, so hopefully it goes as smoothly. I'll go ahead and take some pictures in preparation. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig R.J.L. Shaw
South Africa
Kwa-Zulu Natal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this at a friend and his yellow bag started ripping at the popper. My wife and I love the game so I bought her a set. One of the first things I did was check the bags. The problem is the poppers are too tight for the thin material and the seem around them doesn't seem to have any acctual seam or reinforcement at all.

Anyway. I tried popping them a few times to loosen them but no dice. The green bag got damaged. I managed to solve the problem by opening the bags and biting the popper on the top flap with my front teeth to narrow it. (I did this in two directions with each bags top flap popper). They now open fine without problems. (And make the proper popping sound too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig Shaw wrote:
I played this at a friend and his yellow bag started ripping at the popper. My wife and I love the game so I bought her a set. One of the first things I did was check the bags. The problem is the poppers are too tight for the thin material and the seem around them doesn't seem to have any acctual seam or reinforcement at all.

Anyway. I tried popping them a few times to loosen them but no dice. The green bag got damaged. I managed to solve the problem by opening the bags and biting the popper on the top flap with my front teeth to narrow it. (I did this in two directions with each bags top flap popper). They now open fine without problems. (And make the proper popping sound too)

And how's your dental bill?

I read in another post that someone just filed them down a bit, and that seemed to do the trick...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
rmaia wrote:

Use your imagination. There are a myriad ways of having exactly the effect you wish without using the snap. Just for starters you could playfully flick the flap without exposing any cards. Holding the flap open equates to unsnapping it. Same fun, same threat, same results.

~~snaps fingers~~

edit: assuming you have fingers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.