Subject: Have TME1 - is TME2 worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Smith
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have the first edition (which I really enjoy) but as considering getting the second, mainly for the Eastern Front expansion. However, would owners of TME2 mind confirming:

* is it worth it? That is, does TME2 add anything of real substance? Or does it feel like a needless "add-on"?

* is the expansion playable in its own right? Is it a fair recreation of the Eastern Front or would I be better off buying a game designed with the EF in mind?

* Is it possible to solo play both fronts at the same time or is it just a pointless slog?

I'm more interested in the Western Front but would like to try my hand at wargaming "the other side" but the topic doesn't appeal to me enough to want to buy a game solely about it).

Thank you in advance.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wodvamp wrote:

* is it worth it? That is, does TME2 add anything of real substance? Or does it feel like a needless "add-on"?

The Designer's Notes say that adding the eastern front was inspired by SPI's old Battle for Germany, which gave each player a chance to be on the attack (one playing the Western Allies and the east front Axis and the other playing the Soviets and the west front Germans). I'm not really sure that the expansion adds much more than that.
wodvamp wrote:

* is the expansion playable in its own right? Is it a fair recreation of the Eastern Front or would I be better off buying a game designed with the EF in mind?

I don't imagine that the east front would be terribly interesting by itself, particularly because of the rule about Soviets HQs having to roll to be able to attack. I'm not keen on that rule, which does slow the Soviet steamroller in a way that makes some historical sense, but which is too random (even the Soviet doesn't know when he will have attack supply in advance, as if trainloads of supplies suddenly showed up without warning!)
wodvamp wrote:

* Is it possible to solo play both fronts at the same time or is it just a pointless slog?

Not a pointless slog. It would be a lot of game to play in terms of maps and counters, but I think it would solo perfectly well.
wodvamp wrote:

I'm more interested in the Western Front but would like to try my hand at wargaming "the other side" but the topic doesn't appeal to me enough to want to buy a game solely about it).

I've never played an east front game that covers the very late campaign, so I have found this one interesting in terms of history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been posted previously, the main reason to play TME2 is to give the Western Germans something they can sink their offensive teeth into. Alternatively, the Western Allies must not only be fast in liberating Western Europe, but they must be faster than their Soviet allies to win the game. So it becomes a competitive contest.

Alternatively, it is fun to play three players, although the Germans can be something of a "spoiler" between the two allies if they can't win themselves.

The Eastern Front modelling is pretty simplistic. Sure, it works for its intended purposes, but the level of nuance may not be to the level most people want. But then again, this is the Standard Combat Series (SCS). It's a far cry better than what we see in the venerable Battle for Germany (either the SPI or DG versions) and is possibly comparable to the old XTR Smithereens (which seems like an earlier version of TME2 in some ways). Definitely a step up from an even older Ty Bomba WARGAMER magazine game, End of the Iron Dream.

If you want a game that covers the Eastern Front to far more detail--and this may be too much of a good thing--during this particular era, the game to play is Red Storm over the Reich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Smith
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, both. Sorry for delayed response.

I have read the reviews and they have answered my questions. I guess I just wanted to canvas as many opinions as possible and your responses have been very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.