Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what's the story about this game? I've seen the reviews and for the most part, they sound good. However, there's not a whole lot of posts regarding this game and I've been seeing this game pop up heavily discounted. I'm still considering pulling the trigger and getting this but I'm not sure if this game is going to survive. I've never played SotM because I'm not really much of a card gamer, but this looked really interesting. The only problem is that I don't really care for the characters since I have no attachment to them. So I'm just wondering...worth it? will it last? Is it going to disappear in the wind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
So what's the story about this game? I've seen the reviews and for the most part, they sound good. However, there's not a whole lot of posts regarding this game and I've been seeing this game pop up heavily discounted. I'm still considering pulling the trigger and getting this but I'm not sure if this game is going to survive. I've never played SotM because I'm not really much of a card gamer, but this looked really interesting. The only problem is that I don't really care for the characters since I have no attachment to them. So I'm just wondering...worth it? will it last? Is it going to disappear in the wind?

I've never played it before but CSI has it on sale for 14.99 today:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/204738

and the minis for 8.99

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/204740

I let Santa know so he could pull the trigger on it for me.... whistle

The GtG just did their first every tournament for it. So I think it will take off.

They are a small company. Only had 2 sentinels expansion come out this year... well, hopefully cosmos comes out this year...

But I would like to know more as well. For 14.99 I don't know if you can go wrong picking it up though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greater Than Games recently hosted a Sentinel Tactics tournament. If you want to see how the gameplay goes, there news post (https://greaterthangames.com/content/first-sentinel-tactics-...) has links to video they shot of some of the matches with commentary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mil05006 wrote:
I've never played it before but CSI has it on sale for 14.99 today:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/204738

and the minis for 8.99

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/204740

I saw this too...but then I need to pad my order to get the free shipping and thought about throwing in the expansion and minis too. I was hoping to hear some more about the game before I do that though. All of these sales are just making me spend more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Schexnayder
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I think it's a great deal at that price, even if you just buy the on sale games, you're getting that for just over 30 bucks including shipping for the game and the minis. It's a really great light tactical option and I think evokes the feel of playing comic book heroes and villains ever better than the card game (which is one of my favorite games). I play it often with my wife and daughter, who both like to game but are not big on the rules complexity of many tactical skirmish games. In other words, my opinion is not unbiased but I think it's a really fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider this biased, because I know one of the designers of the game, Kevin G. Nunn.

The reason I liked (not loved) the card game is because it captured the feel of superheroes while also having analogues of ones I loved from the comics (but they obviously couldn't directly use). So it's not just original characters, although there are some, but many characters inspired by say, Batman (Wraith is a female Batman, with combat and gadgets), Captain America (Legacy, a wonderful support person), Superman (Young Legacy, with laser vision), Nightmist (a female John Constantine! Really!), Tachyon (a female Flash), Absolute Zero a much better Iceman, Ambuscade is Dead Pool, etc. I'm glad I can hand someone a character, say, "This person is like Batman", and they get it.

But it's not just characters "inspired by", but also the original characters are fun. Especially the villains. Citizen Dawn is great for her powers and her punishment. Baron Blade makes for an amusing mad scientist villain. Although the Operative can be linked up to a League of Assassins counterpart.

Now, that's the card game. Every hero has a thematic deck that is unique to them in terms of strategy and synergies with other hero decks. Fine.

The tactics game is so much better. It has all this, AND tactical attack and movement (which feels much more superhero-y to me when it comes to throw-down battles) and you have your superpowers available in front of you without having to rely on card draws. You just choose two and off you go, no need to manage a mess of cards of in front of you as often results in the card game.

The mechanics and special powers of Tactics are elegant and streamlined. The characters ae unique and really capture their flavor. I often don't bother with the scenarios, just have a throw-down fight with villains and heroes on everywhich side.

Once Nightmist appears then I'm raffling off the card game with every expansion up to Vengeance. Tactics is that good as far as I'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is worth it and I paid full price!

I enjoy tactical games and comic books and so this one is right up my alley (although I cannot bowl any longer). There is a lot of strategy to the game that includes pre-game set up and during the game. The rules are fairly simple and so most of the complexity comes from how the various powers interact and how the board can change as the scenarios progress.

The scenarios that come with the game tell a story, or you can write your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mil05006 wrote:
But I would like to know more as well. For 14.99 I don't know if you can go wrong picking it up though.

I think it's a wonderful game. At that price, I'm considering buying a second set just for extra map tiles.

Quote:
However, there's not a whole lot of posts regarding this game

The Greater than Games forums appear to be fairly active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It's a shame that the expansion minis aren't on sale too... I'd be all over that! I KSed the game, but opted out of the minis because I have the Myth miniatures all over my game shelves and have no more room for minis. Would have liked to get them though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mojobacca wrote:
It's a shame that the expansion minis aren't on sale too... I'd be all over that! I KSed the game, but opted out of the minis because I have the Myth miniatures all over my game shelves and have no more room for minis. Would have liked to get them though.
These are smaller. (Myth is a fun game also, though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
So I'm just wondering...worth it? will it last? Is it going to disappear in the wind?

Here's my .02:

I bought the base game about a month ago and have played through most of the scenarios that come with it. The scenarios themselves seem pretty simplistic. I guess they are designed to teach you the game, but I think they take that noble goal a little too far. There is not that much "there" in the scenarios. There are some interesting tactics to be had, but the scenarios themselves are kind of boring. To me, anyway.

The heroes are asymmetrical, which I like. They all play very differently.

I picked up the expansion because it was on sale at my LFGS, mostly because it has more heroes to offer. My gaming group is still undecided on it, and we haven't tried an open skirmish yet.

The net: the scenarios were disappointing, but I'm hoping that skirmishing is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
armor_11 wrote:

I bought the base game about a month ago and have played through most of the scenarios that come with it. The scenarios themselves seem pretty simplistic. I guess they are designed to teach you the game, but I think they take that noble goal a little too far. There is not that much "there" in the scenarios. There are some interesting tactics to be had, but the scenarios themselves are kind of boring. To me, anyway.

The heroes are asymmetrical, which I like. They all play very differently.

I picked up the expansion because it was on sale at my LFGS, mostly because it has more heroes to offer. My gaming group is still undecided on it, and we haven't tried an open skirmish yet.

The net: the scenarios were disappointing, but I'm hoping that skirmishing is fun.

Thanks for that post. I was actually more interested in the scenarios than the skirmishes. The core game is sold out on CSI so its a moot point now anyway, but I think I'll definitely wait now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.