United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: 9/24/06
Players: Larry, Michael, Sean, and Tony

Last night was the first session of our new "Game of the Month" plan where we take out a long, seldom played gem of a game and play it once/week for 4 consecutive week. The first game was Die Macher.

For those not familiar with the game, it is based on the German electoral system. It is played over 7 "regional elections", which when taken together will create the total score for the "Federal Election".

The game started off with Michael & Sean - who had both played before - starting a battle over control of the media in Region #1 (worth a potential 36 votes). Larry and I - who had not played - started the game as if we didn't know what to do (which was true, BTW!). I tried to establish media control in Regions #2 (28 votes) and #3 (42 votes (I think), which unfortunately meant that I was fighting against Larry & Sean both. After jockeying to create party platforms and to spin the issues in the first region, the battle lines were drawn pretty sharply - between those who supported the production of the vile and unnatural Square Tomatoes (Larry & Sean), and those who believed that this scourge needed to be stomped out (Michael and I).
In the end Michael won control of the media in Region #1, and scored very well there. I scored pretty well in that election (pretty much through dumb luck), Sean had the third most votes, and Larry was shut out of votes.

As noted before, I had attempted to control the media in Regions #2 & #3 - a plan that was doomed to fail. I didn't do well in collecting votes in either of these 2 regions. During this time Larry and I did pretty much everything that we could to knock each other's votes and opinions down - with Larry generally getting the better of me. Michael pretty much abandoned these regions as he focused on dominating the media and spinning his own agenda in Region #5 (worth a potential 80 votes), based mostly on the platform of denouncing the fruits of the devil (i.e. Square Tomatoes).
Larry & Sean, however scored very well in these regions - bringing together their diabolical plans of spinning the "benefits" of the bioengineered plants to the ignorant masses.

I had pretty much abandoned Region #4 (54 votes) due to the fact that my Party Platform didn't match up with the beliefs of that region - until the last minute when the regions politics seemed to shift before my eyes. I jumped back into the fray, forced a coalition with Larry (who at this point was pretty much my sworn enemy due to the political backstabbing and mudslinging that had occured) and gave the victory in the region to the Michael/Sean coalition (sorry Larry ).

Region #5 was a critical region. We knew that a coalition would be formed. Michael had invested heavily in the region. Larry chose to go first (abandoning the "make Tony go first and hose him" strategy) so that he could gain a media presence - working with the assumption that he would win the election. He also used this placement to force a Coalition with Michael. Unfortunately, since my turn was after Larry's, I was able to take away his media contol marker and replace it with my own. I formed a coalition with Sean, and we were able to eek out a victory.

Region 6 was vitually ignored by everyone except me until it was too late. My votes in the region were clearly higher than anyone else, and I had managed to tailor the regions issues to my liking. The only one who had even a chance to catch me was Sean. Sean won a hard-fought auction for the regions opinion poll, and was almost able to topple my victory - but he did not. In the end I was the only one to take votes away from Region #6, and I moved 2 of my own issues up to the national board.

Finally, in region #7, Michael barely edged me out for the victory in that region (40 possible votes).

The "Mandate" from the regional elections was very close. In the end, my party platforms' corelation with the National Issues was the biggest deciding factor.
Final scores were Tony - 336; Larry - 326; Sean-310; Michael - 286.

Overall play time was just under 4 hours.

I really enjoyed playing Die Macher for the first time(and would have thought so even had I been miserably crushed - as appeared likely after the first 4 regions!). This game definately deserves to hit the table much more often than it does. I believe that we all had a great time and the general conversation at the end of the night was about how much we are looking forward to next week!

The only downside for me in this game was the fact that the "National Opinion of Square Tomatoes" was overwhelmingly positive. Fortunately, Larry was converted to the rigth way of thinking about these vile fruit, and Sean's party expressed no opinion in the endgame, thereby rendering it a moot point!

Edits: for stupid mistakes in grammer and punctuation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
forced a coalition with Larry (who at this point was pretty much my sworn enemy due to the political backstabbing and mudslinging that had occured)

sworn enemy no argument... But, I feel that I kept all stabbing in the front as opposed to the backside...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeze, if I would have realized Tony was going to rub my face in it on the GRAB mailing list AND here on the Geek maybe I wouldn't have made 100 mistakes during the game yesterday!

Who am I kidding?

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All can be repaid next week. I promise to post even my own miserable defeats in both places (if I'm going to write a session report for the GRAB list, I'm sure as heck going to snag some for it too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larryjrice wrote:
Quote:
forced a coalition with Larry (who at this point was pretty much my sworn enemy due to the political backstabbing and mudslinging that had occured)

sworn enemy no argument... But, I feel that I kept all stabbing in the front as opposed to the backside...

Yeah - I guess that we didn't really hide our contempt much, did we!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.