BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Games for 6 & 7 Year olds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 1.AUDIENCE:-Kids [+] [View All]
United States
Auburn
New York
flag msg tools
Looking for some game suggestions for my 6 year old son and 7 year old daughter. The played their first few games of Catan Junior this weekend and absolutely loved it. They were begging me this morning to play again tonight. They already really like Hero Kidsand ask to play it as much as they can. They are really into the fantasy setting.

I have thought about Dungeon! and Mice and Mystics, but it's hit and miss going by the reviews here. I will take any recommendations also, it doesn't have to be fantasy only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general rule, I've had the most success with cooperative games, because:
a) my kids are sore losers
b) they are intellectually inferior

With co-ops, I'm able to suggest/guide/explain a lot more and we can still be competitive, but not against each other.
So, we'll do stuff like Castle Panic, Forbidden Island, etc. Legendary and Pandemic are also suitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reckon Catan Junior is great, so congratulations on getting them into that.

Dungeon! is a hit for us, and it gets requested by the daughter (now nearly 8) on a fairly regular basis -- though we have an older edition of the game. Depending on your kids you may want to just drop out the rules about attacking other players. Quite a fun dungeon crawl, I reckon, and good for kids.

You might like to try Carcassonne (the real, actual, grown-up version) and just drop the rules about farmers. Just working with the other scoring elements makes a much easier to understand game (I was playing with my daughter when she was 5) which is still fun for adults, and you can upgrade to the full rules as and when you feel it is appropriate.

Another good possibility would be Ticket to Ride. The game is simple to learn and you can easily see what you are trying to do and how the game is going due to the clear map. This is a top seller for good reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7yo daughter LOVES Mice & Mystics. It is her absolute favorite game. Her 2nd favorite is probably Animal Upon Animal. She also really likes Castle Panic, Zooloretto, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Rampage, and Hey, That's My Fish!.

We are also getting her Villa Paletti for Christmas. She watched the Games with Hayden review and thought it looked fun.

By the way, I highly recommend Games with Hayden as a resource for reviews on games kids like. Maybe have them watch some reviews with you and see what "pops" for them. Hayden is a kid himself, so that makes it more interesting for kids to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Auburn
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for the link to Games with Hayden. Sat down with my son and we watched a bunch of videos. Also watched a how to play video for Mice & Mystics. He fell in love with it. The video makes it look really confusing to learn but we'll figure it out.

I ended up buying Ticket to Ride, Mice & Mystics, and Defenders of the Realm. Between those 3 and Catan Junior it will give them a good start to gaming. Tried for years to get my wife to play games with no luck. It looks like our kids will be her gateway =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Simpson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 year old has been loving Small World lately, probably around the same complexity level as TTR, but with the added bonus of neat art work and a fantasy theme. 10 Days in Asia has been another massive success (about 10 games in a few days), which also obviously has explicit educational value.

He has also enjoyed King of Tokyo and, much to my surprise, Samurai. He requested the latter himself and I initially took it easy on him but it wasn't until half way through that I realised he fully got it and was kicking my butt - by which time it was too late to do anything about it.

In terms of games aimed specifically at kids he Rat-a-Tat-Cat seems to go down well, as does Mousetrap.

Not sure if you're into light war games but probably my son's favourite gaming activity is to pull out one of the Commands and Colours: Ancients sets and battle me minus the cards (i.e. every turn nominate 3 units to move and fight, and roll dice accordingly).

Oh yeah, how could I forget Carcassonne. Probably my son's most frequently played game this year. Definitely recommended for 6 and 7 years olds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My now 7 year old loves Hive, even at 6 she just got the game and was able to give most grown ups a decent game.

It is slightly gutting being on a 5+ game losing streak against her.

Alhambra and ticket to ride, Carcassone, Dixit, basically every game I own was bought with my girls being able to play in mind.

I have until recently kept away from games where you "go after" other players, but I have been expressly told not to buy Small world for myself so I know that is coming!

Fluxx (not jr!) and Love Letter are great for quick fixes and while not a game, story cubs are amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I shared this in another similar thread but no harm repeating cos would really like more kids to enjoy some math based card games that I just designed. Please try them and give me some feedback.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1279974/wip-finger-bomb...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
Mepher wrote:
Tried for years to get my wife to play games with no luck. It looks like our kids will be her gateway =)
My wife will play, but usually reluctantly. Anything "fiddly" and she is out. TtR is about as complex as she is willing to go.

If you kids are into Super Heroes, DC Comics Deck-Building Game is popular with my kids (5 & 8). Easy set-up and breakdown, which is a plus for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
starfailure wrote:

With co-ops, I'm able to suggest/guide/explain a lot more and we can still be competitive, but not against each other.
So, we'll do stuff like Castle Panic, Forbidden Island, etc. Legendary and Pandemic are also suitable.

This is spot on! I'd add two exceptions, Carcassonne & Takenoko. Your daughter will love the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salimo wrote:
starfailure wrote:

This is spot on! I'd add two exceptions, Carcassonne & Takenoko. Your daughter will love the latter.
Oh yeah as soon as that Panda hit my table I became Dad of the Year for all enternity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say, if the kids aren't too scared by the monsters in the artwork, then give Lords of Waterdeep a try. It's quick, and any kid can figure out what they need to do to complete missions: you just match the coloured cubes and money to complete them and score. If they're good readers they can figure out the Intrigue cards and get better at the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Check out some Gamewright games... Most likely they can play ones from 8+ and 10+ as well. My daughter is 6 and she can play some of the 8+ games without trouble.

My daughter is liking more board games and is getting into things like Monopoly but I've been thinking about Catan Jr. Based on what you've said, I think I need to get that... Hubby and I love Catan...

I just bought Dungeon! for myself but reading through I think she can play too so I'd think your kids being older could handle that one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: El-ahrairahMicrobadge: Charlie Chaplin fanMicrobadge: Friedrich HayekMicrobadge: Silent Film fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fan
nithos wrote:
Mepher wrote:
Tried for years to get my wife to play games with no luck. It looks like our kids will be her gateway =)
My wife will play, but usually reluctantly. Anything "fiddly" and she is out. TtR is about as complex as she is willing to go.

If you kids are into Super Heroes, DC Comics Deck-Building Game is popular with my kids (5 & 8). Easy set-up and breakdown, which is a plus for me.

My boys started on DC Comics Deck-Building Game at ages 4 and 7 (now 6 and almost 9) and could play it without me after a game or two.

They both enjoy these games as well:

Defenders of the Realm
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
King of Tokyo
Castle Panic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids love King of Tokyo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seung-Bin Bae
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom fanMicrobadge: I completed the 2019 challenge to play 10 games 10 times eachMicrobadge: My child has no mercy beating me in games.Microbadge: Parent of One Girl
I have a 8 year old girl, and +1 for co-op games.

I used to play some light games like Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Fairy tale, and with her, and she was able to understand the rules and play them, but cannot play them very well without my advice. That also made me not enjoy the game much.
Once I introduced the co-op games, things has been changed. Now whenever I'm searching for some games and watch Youtube reviews, she always ask if it is a co-op game.

Here are some good co-op games I played with my daughter with pretty good result:

Forbidden Desert
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Marvel Legendary
Pandemic
Onirim

I also have Arcadia Quest and play it using co-op variant with her.

She didn't like Sentinels of the Multiverse much.

She likes Dixit and Once upon a time even though not co-op and she didn't win. Dixit even has 2p co-op variant and she likes it.

She also like King of New York, but I think that it's because she won a few times against me.

She wanted Takenoko after watching TableTop and Watch-it-played video, but she didn't like it that much after playing it a couple of times, maybe just because she didn't win....

Now she really wants Dungeon Petz, but not sure if she can handle it....
I'll probably play it using solo variant with her. I'm also thinking of playing Agricola solo variant with her this weekend to see if she can enjoy Dungeon Petz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Camel Up fanMicrobadge: Hive fanMicrobadge: Unbroken fanMicrobadge: Carcassonne fanMicrobadge: Krakatoa fan
Hi Ho! Cherry-O
Memory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gamer FamilyMicrobadge: Autism AcceptanceMicrobadge: HomeschoolerMicrobadge: I'm a female, I'm a gamer and I'm proud of it!Microbadge: Love
Our eldest daughter's current favourites are:
Forbidden Island
Love Letter
Scotland Yard
Hey That's my Fish

She will also join in Pandemic happily.

We've just ordered Mice & Mystics because she loves story telling and Flash Point: Fire Rescue as we love co-ops. We are also going to try Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Blanton
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: LeftyMicrobadge: Rockin' the DonutMicrobadge: The Dresden Files fanMicrobadge: And now, it's time for another Dice Tower review...Microbadge: Caverna: The Cave Farmers fan
I'm definitely taking notes from everyone's suggestions.

My 6yr old daughter loves Hey, That's my Fish. I had to make sure she won the first game though. I've found that if she can taste victory at the start of a game, she's a fan for life! haha

She also has loved Mario Matching since she was 3. She loves the theme and there are certain matches that trigger effects so it's not the same old boring matching game. She also has a better memory than me so she wins almost always. I honestly feel like a champ when I do win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Schwartz
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 year old would rather read than play boardgames. Mostly he likes Quarto, Hive, Ninja vs Ninja and other quick games. It is my 4 year old who loves to play games. Current favorites are
Forbidden Island
Agricola: Big and Small
Catan Jr
Tsuro
Monza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bishop
United Kingdom
Fleet
flag msg tools
I have a 5 going on 6 year old daughter and the games i've has alot of success with :

* King of Tokyo - i wasn't sure how much she'd get the power up cards but she loves this aspect of it. This is currently her favourite.
* Three Little Pigs - this is a bit similar functionally (Yahtzee mechanic) to Tokyo and she prefers Tokyo but i like this game.
* Ticket to Ride - she asks to play this alot but get's bored before the game ends alot of the time, so i would recommend this but depending on your youngsters attention spans look to shorten the game length with less trains for example.
* Jamaica - this gets a few requests if she can convince her mum to play, easy to pick up, great looking and fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Geringer
United States
Forestburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out my Growing Up with Games GeekList. I have been reviewing games that my boys (4 and 6) have been playing together. Some of them will be good games for your 6 & 7 year old, I think.

Hope it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Perry
msg tools
We've got 4 kids in my house who are always begging to play games. In addition to some of those mentioned, we've had fun with:

Love Letter - Put the cards in some baseball card sleeves, and they can play by themselves.

Cash 'n' Gunz - if you're OK with kids pointing foam guns at each other and you. A quick safety lecture from Dad always accompanies this gameplay.

Martian Dice - not Zombie Dice

Quarto - They really like playing this one without Mom and Dad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My seven year old adores Love Letter, Carcassonne, and his absolute favourite at the mment is a co-op game that can be played solo, called S.O.S Titanic. I caught him playing at four in he morning !!!!

This afternoon we played a lovely little game called Korrigans ( Breton for leprachauns ) which involved chasing pieces of gold and trying to get to a pot of gold. Beautiful artwork that would appeal even more to a girl, I think.

Enjoy your ame buying !!!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sig
United States
wesley chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My boy has played Agricola, Power Grid, Lords of Waterdeep, etc but I of course had no expectations of him utilizing any kind of strategy to win. At this point, its him building his farm and building a cool city just to accomplish a goal that we've given him.

He is definitely a sore loser but like all things he gets a lot better over time.

His favorite games are Ticket to Ride, Sushi-Go, Marvel Dice Masters and Agricola (Adorable farm animals!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |