Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Perrin Stewart
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was lucky and someone gifted me Manor of Ravens, and I've read through the rules, but even so, I'm still kind of foggy on how to integrate it into my main quest in the base game...so basically, during the main quest, I can put out Rumor cards, and then in Act I the heroes can choose to do the quest or not? Is there any way I can FORCE them to do the Manor of Raven quests? I'd like to make the base campaign longer by adding in a bunch of the Manor of Ravens quests...

If someone could break it down for me I think that would help...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I remember it, you draw a number of rumour cards and then you can play them during the campaign step, giving the players an extra option of somewhere to go. The loot alone should draw them to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.

- The Overlord starts the game with 3 Rumor quests cards drawn at random.
- Some of these Rumor cards may feature quests (they are called Rumor Quest cards).
- When the Overlord plays a Rumor Quest (the card states when he is allowed to do so), the card stays in play as an available quest.
- Rumor quests can be selected as the next active quest during Act I, before the Interlude. They don't provide XP and don't count toward the number of quests needed to advance the campaign, but they do provide long term benefits for the winner (usually relics).
- If a rumor quest is played, it usually puts another card (called Advanced Quest) into play. This type of cards features optional Act II quests that are a followup of the played Rumor Quest. These also provide long term benefits for the winner.
- Both kind of quests are usually composed of a single encounter.

The Rumor mechanic has been introduced with Lair of the Wyrm, and continued with the "small" expansions The Trollfens and Manor of Ravens.
The first 2 expansions, however, didn't provide enough incentives for the Overlord to play them. The mere fact that heroes get additional search tokens an an additional Shopping Phase hardly counterbalanced the possible benefit the Overlord would gain from a victory in a side quest.
If you play with a Lieutenant Pack, the Overlord would gain 1 threat token for playing a Rumor Quest card.
Also, Manor of Ravens - in my opinion - corrected the problem. If you look at those quests, they have usually less search tokens than a full-fledged encounter, and if the quest is not played, the Overlord automatically gains some benefits.

I'm thinking about house ruling previous Rumor and Advanced quests in the same fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like how if the rumor is not picked by the heroes by the end of act 1 (2 also?) that the OL gets an added bonus.

I as also thinking of house ruling this idea to the older ones but since I do not have the game in front of me ATM, is it the same benefit on each of the rumors or does each reward get tweaked / completely different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember, most of the time the winner of the previous quest gets to choose the next quest, so if you really want to play a Manor of Ravens quest, win one of the others, play the Rumor card, and pick that quest. The heroes don't always have choice of next quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perrin Stewart
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone (especially for the breakdown, Erik)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Also, Manor of Ravens - in my opinion - corrected the problem. If you look at those quests, they have usually less search tokens than a full-fledged encounter, and if the quest is not played, the Overlord automatically gains some benefits.

This is also the case in the rumors that come with the Hero and Monster Collections...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.