Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so my 2 sons and I have beaten Hard...only once I think. We have discussed that once my eldest returns home from college for Christmas break, we want to try to beat EPIC. Crazy, I know. So, the first discussion was how/who is the best way to do so.

Before launching into the best heroes to play (as a team) for such a venture - I did want to toss out one thought on the number of heroes we might use and why.

We are actually considering doing it with 3 instead of 4. The extra action card seems to provide some very nice flexibility that may be useful in a quest of this magnitude:

1) It allows "emergency" AP to pop into the Capital to heal if you took a beating on/before your actual turn.

2) It allows for optimal positioning (if it comes out at the start of a round) or repositioning if it comes out later.

3) It allows heroes who moved into the capital on their actual turn to move out - fully healed and ready for ACTION!!

I realize that you sacrifice a hero (and his health) for this flexibility - but an efficient team well constructed might be better off than a larger team. Just a thought - please comment and share your experiences in this regard.

CHOOSE WISELY
So who should be in the mix for your Epic team ("Team EPIC"?)

The Avenger - I think she is almost a no-brainer. You're going to be facing 4 dire enemies. She is a dire slayer. Couple that with the possibility of her getting her hands on the Shield of Aughmoore - and she could singe-handedly save the day. Imagine defeating 4 dires without losing a single health point.

The Paladin - 5 health and her ability to heal any hero by sacrificing her own health is big (help the Avenger!!). A healer with health and flexible options.

The Guardian - Other than the artifact - there is no way to repair or defend damage to the Capital, except this guy. 2 for 1 is expensive, but it sure is better than losing. In late game, while other heroes are pounding the Epic Foe, he can help - but then zip back to the capital, defend there, heal up and repeat.

I think those 3 are almost a must. There are others I like for various reasons, but not quite as confident about their ability to contribute on Epic.

Honorable Mentions
Necromancer - you're playing on Epic. You're going to lose regions, almost without a doubt. The only one who can restore them is the Necromancer. Yes, he is limited other than that ability - but that ability could be huge. Especially if one region is getting crushed.

Commander - his abilities, especially when teamed up with the Guardian (or even the Oracle) can be quite useful, as they provide flexibility. In fact, if we were going to try with 4, I might add the Commander into the mix with 3 above. Partly because he does add flexibility and "plays well with others" - especially the Guardian.

Why Not?
There are a few heroes that I like - but I am not sure their abilities would work quite as well facing EPIC level. If you can see otherwise, please convince me.

The Orcale - while it's nice to know what's coming, her inability to actually DO anything about it lessens the ability's usefulness. Her ability is further weakened by the fact that sometimes simple paying attention, keeping track and probability can fairly well "duplicate" her ability - or at least to the point that there are better hero options.

The Assassin - don't get me wrong. I love the assassin. He is awesome. However, I just think his "once per round" limit and his lesser health make him a little less than ideal fit for EPIC level. As I said, I really like him - he has helped defeat medium and hard. I just don't think the little guy is ready for the big time.

The Warrior - While he still has movement, his final version has him with only 4 health. IMHO, that makes him kinda "meh" - especially when you have the Avenger who can move anywhere a dire shows up, the plains which, in effect let you be in 3 places at once - and many other characters who can "blink" to locations (Guardian, Druid, Revenant, etc.)

Soreceress - While I love her "3 for 2 AP" ability, at EPIC, you're going to be facing more Dire's, so I think her ability, while still awesome, is less crucial than flexibility and being able to guard the Capital.

There are some basic thoughts. While I like the "traditional" Barbarian/Cleric paring for lesser levels, I think on Epic, you need more flexibility and less dependence on a specific character.

Please share your thoughts - especially if you have beaten EPIC on multiple occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had an EPIC victory while playing at BGG.CON, and we had a 4 player game that included the Necromancer & the Assassin, which truly helped.

But, I'm just looking forward to your thoughts as you try to beat it on Epic. Keep us informed, and good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.