Subject: Should BGG.con move to Gaylord? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long time local conventioneer (think QuakeCon, CPL, etc.) I have seen various Dallas conventions grow over time. After perusing several of the "suggestion" threads here, I am starting to wonder if moving to the Gaylord would make sense from a space, food, and accommodations perspective. That hotel has multiple restaurants, larger convention space, and enough rooms to handle all that need it. That hotel alone would solve multiple issues I've seen folks complain about (food, parking validation, gaming table space segregation, etc.)

Yeah it may cost a bit more, but I would buy one less game at the con to pay a higher price there.

What say ye?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
Murfressboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
I think right now, it's a moot point. I watched the Dice Tower BGG.con show, and I think BGG is contracted for 3 more years at the current location (IIRC).

I'd almost bet there have been been con discussions about the longevity of the con, location, attendance size, hopes and expectations have and are being had amongst the con administration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gaylord is an amazing (if not expensive) hotel, full of priceless works of ancient Asian art. I'd love to attend a con there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you thinking of the Wyndham Annatole? The Gaylord Texan does not have much asian art that I recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
As a long time local conventioneer (think QuakeCon, CPL, etc.) I have seen various Dallas conventions grow over time. After perusing several of the "suggestion" threads here, I am starting to wonder if moving to the Gaylord would make sense from a space, food, and accommodations perspective. That hotel has multiple restaurants, larger convention space, and enough rooms to handle all that need it. That hotel alone would solve multiple issues I've seen folks complain about (food, parking validation, gaming table space segregation, etc.)

Yeah it may cost a bit more, but I would buy one less game at the con to pay a higher price there.

What say ye?

We looked into it, and the price would more than double for the rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping Gaylord, MI was being suggested....laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
ath3ist wrote:

What say ye?

Ouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
ath3ist wrote:

What say ye?

The fact that you guys' investigated the idea tells me I am not crazy for at least thinking it. So basically, if I made sure I had a roommate to split the room with, I'd break even. devil Sold! laugh

Thanks for the official reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Taloncarde wrote:
Are you thinking of the Wyndham Annatole? The Gaylord Texan does not have much asian art that I recall.
Oh! Yeah, sorry, the Annatole is what I was thinking of. I don't know the Gaylord in Dallas, but the Gaylord in DC is similarly amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
ath3ist wrote:

What say ye?

Convention rooms or guest rooms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Taloncarde wrote:
Oh! Yeah, sorry, the Annatole is what I was thinking of. I don't know the Gaylord in Dallas, but the Gaylord in DC is similarly amazing.

The Gaylord in the DFW area is pretty close to the airport - in Grapevine. The inside is made to represent the various areas of Texas - Hill Country, East Texas, West Texas, the San Antonio Riverwalk, etc. It's a neat setup. The convention center is attached to the hotel and has a pretty good setup for breakout rooms, large gatherings, etc. I attended a SQL conference there the year they opened (and were not ready for a tech conference, even if the overall setup wasn't too bad). I think they offer shuttle services to the Grapevine Mills Mall and downtown Grapevine regularly, but don't know much more than that. It is a bit pricey for a hotel, but it's a nice hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Today is the yesterday you won't be able to remember tomorrow" -Pinkwater
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
I was hoping Gaylord, MI was being suggested....laugh

Yeah, I'd attend in Gaylord MI. But Texas is right out. I've lived in both states and know which I'd return to for a convention ...

Of course, it *really* should move to a classier hotel, such as the Mount Washington Hotel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote no to this hotel

Because it's all work & no play....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
Murfressboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Man, if The Shining was the theme for next year, that would be the most awesome Crokinole board ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Invote no to this hotel

Because it's all work & no play....

Then I'd be a "local" and could drive there everyday. Just out to the highway and straight up Mt.Hood and I'm there.

Then I suppose I'd take over running the Flea Market and you could fly in, eh, Dwayne?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
For what my opinion is worth (less than nothing), I think the next candidates after our tenure with the Hyatt Regency DFW should include the Sheraton Dallas. Over twice the convention space and the DART Orange Line stops steps from the hotel. There are tons of infrastructure around the hotel (restaurants, parks, attractions) within walking distance. The standard rate for rooms seem on par with the Hayatt Regency DFW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ikiru wrote:
For what my opinion is worth (less than nothing), I think the next candidates after our tenure with the Hyatt Regency DFW should include the Sheraton Dallas. Over twice the convention space and the DART Orange Line stops steps from the hotel. There are tons of infrastructure around the hotel (restaurants, parks, attractions) within walking distance. The standard rate for rooms seem on par with the Hayatt Regency DFW.

I've attended building code hearings at the Dallas Sheraton and remember there being very few restaurants nearby. It seemed like a business district, not really appropriate for travelers. I stayed in the Marriott City Center (connected via bridge) which had a small food court which was closed on weekends and absolutely packed on the weekdays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
ikiru wrote:

I've attended building code hearings at the Dallas Sheraton and remember there being very few restaurants nearby. It seemed like a business district, not really appropriate for travelers. I stayed in the Marriott City Center (connected via bridge) which had a small food court which was closed on weekends and absolutely packed on the weekdays.

Interesting. Within a mile of the Sheraton Dallas there is the West End Marketplace and Deep Ellum (home to Pecan Lodge, the best BBQ in DFW.) Directly across the street is the Plaza of the Americas that has a food court with more than a dozen of the usual food court offerings (I think this is the food court that you were referring to).

Just doing a google maps search pulls up tons of options within what I would call walking distance...definitely compared to the last 2 places BGG Con has been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
West End Marketplace is empty right now

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/commercial-real-estate/he...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordon
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ikiru wrote:
home to Pecan Lodge, the best BBQ in DFW.

Them's fightin' words...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ikiru wrote:
cheng wrote:
ikiru wrote:

Interesting. Within a mile of the Sheraton Dallas there is the West End Marketplace and Deep Ellum (home to Pecan Lodge, the best BBQ in DFW.) Directly across the street is the Plaza of the Americas that has a food court with more than a dozen of the usual food court offerings (I think this is the food court that you were referring to).

Just doing a google maps search pulls up tons of options within what I would call walking distance...definitely compared to the last 2 places BGG Con has been.

The first two years was at the Plaza of the Americas. Food was very difficult to find in the evenings and on weekends. I don't wanna go back there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
Murfressboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Is there a way we could just have the con AT Hard 8 BBQ? That would be the best, I think. I'll sleep in the car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda torn. I love the intemacy of keeping it a small con, but this sounds like it would be awesome. And there are some benefits of growing the con as well.

I guess the real question is, are there more affordable rooms within walking distance of the con if it were located there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
I ♥ Alt Text
badge
I really ♥ Alt Text
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
I guess the real question is, are there more affordable rooms within walking distance of the con if it were located there?

Quick reminder: As Chad mentioned above, it sounds like BGG.CON has no intention of moving locations until 2018 at the earliest.

I love playing "what-if" as much as the next person, but at the moment any speculation about alternative venue is firmly on the fantasy side of things.

If you feel strongly about an alternative venue, I recommend you go to your calendar (or something like FutureMe) and set up a reminder for January 2017 to start posting ideas to the forums. I just did, so now I get to forget about alternative venues for more than 2 years until it's useful to think about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b414213562 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Quick reminder: As Chad mentioned above, it sounds like BGG.CON has no intention of moving locations until 2018 at the earliest.

I love playing "what-if" as much as the next person, but at the moment any speculation about alternative venue is firmly on the fantasy side of things.

If you feel strongly about an alternative venue, I recommend you go to your calendar (or something like FutureMe) and set up a reminder for January 2017 to start posting ideas to the forums. I just did, so now I get to forget about alternative venues for more than 2 years until it's useful to think about them.

Everything is fantasy until it happens.

Also, hotels book things years in advance sometimes, so if they were to negotiate a move, they might HAVE to start talking about it now depending on their desired location's availability or lack thereof.

If they want to grow the con significantly, they will have to move because the Hyatt has pretty much hit the limit.

(and again, I see the pros and cons for both and I am perfectly happy with the status quo, I love BGG con at the Hyatt and any proposed change would scare me a little)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.