Lewis & Clark» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Fabulous 5 solo variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this solo variant there are no random factors. During setup, stack the character deck with exactly 5 cards of your choice setting aside the remaining cards. Draw the cards (exhausting your 5-card deck) and arrange them in the Journal of Encounters in the usual fashion for setup. The Journal cards never slide down and are never replaced (e.g. the Interpreter card, the Farewell action space and the recruiting action itself have no impact on it).

The seals shown on the cards in the Journal are available to your actions just as if a neighbor had them showing in his tableau. All other rules for the standard solo variant remain the same.

It is your job to discover what 5 cards make up the most efficient stack by which to reach Fort Clatsop in the fewest number of turns. From session to session you track the 5 cards you chose, the number of turns it took you, and how far past Fort Clatsop you made it. The spaces past the fort are significant only for breaking ties if two sessions take the same number of turns.

Feel free to share your outcomes here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this out and I'm surprisingly bad at the game. I hand selected the following 5 characters and played it out in 31 turns, which is not much different from a normal play where I am not cherry-picking the characters. Plus, I find it hard to always remember to advance Mackenzie so I may have missed a move (32 or 33?). Ugh.

36. Nicholas Jarrot. 2 STR. +2 on water moves. Food seal.
37. Regis Loisel. 3 STR. Produce tools, food, or wood. Tools seal.
32. James Mackay. 2 STR. 1 horse to move 3 over water or mountains. Food seal.
42. Broken Arm. 3 STR. 1 tool to 1 horse. Food seal.
20. Big White. 2 STR. Produce tools or wood. Tools seal.

I tried to pick cards that had useful seals for the hand: food and tools. I got only two canoes. Terrible result. I'll do better next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip O'Brien
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about doing something similar, in order to use the characters that you normally would not choose. As I play more solo games I will probably do this.

In order to keep track of AM, I only move him each time I encamp. I take a food token each time I take an Indian action and add these to the cards I have played so I know exactly how many moves I have made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Hardin
msg tools
designer
mlanza wrote:
In this solo variant there are no random factors. During setup, stack the character deck with exactly 5 cards of your choice setting aside the remaining cards. Draw the cards (exhausting your 5-card deck) and arrange them in the Journal of Encounters in the usual fashion for setup. The Journal cards never slide down and are never replaced (e.g. the Interpreter card, the Farewell action space and the recruiting action itself have no impact on it).

The seals shown on the cards in the Journal are available to your actions just as if a neighbor had them showing in his tableau. All other rules for the standard solo variant remain the same.

It is your job to discover what 5 cards make up the most efficient stack by which to reach Fort Clatsop in the fewest number of turns. From session to session you track the 5 cards you chose, the number of turns it took you, and how far past Fort Clatsop you made it. The spaces past the fort are significant only for breaking ties if two sessions take the same number of turns.

Feel free to share your outcomes here.

This is an interesting idea. I am going to have to try it out. I have one quick question on it though... maybe two.

So the cards in the journal are still purchasable correct? Which when you do this, that means you are gaining a card but losing a "neighbors" seal. Am I correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darryl -- yes, exactly. And the cards don't slide so the cards never change price. They can otherwise be purchased in the normal way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, Lewis and Clark is perfect as a solo game. At least as a beginner, it's much work just trying to figure out and initiate my own plan let alone consider how to thwart someone else's. Because it's so much like a puzzle it works quite well solo. I've play solo 3 times now and it has mostly the same feel as an actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moritz
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I accepted your challenge, but I don't see any reason not to stack the deck, like you say, then not play according to the normal rules of solo variant.

Anyway, here is my entry for 17 moves:

Cards: First 2 cards don't matter then 39, 43, 48.
Start Mackenzie 9 spaces ahead of St. Louis (for expert solo).

1. Collect 6 wood (use Interpreter & 1 indian) - Camp (go back 5 spaces)
2. Get small indian boat
3. Use Interpreter twice (with 1 indian) clearing the first two cards. Grab exactly 3 indians from the pow-wow - Camp (no loss)
4. Get small boat (get 1 fur & 1 equip) - recruit card 39 (pay resources and Interpreter)
5. Use 39 (2 indians) get 4 equip & 2 fur - recruit card 43 (pay 2 equip, 1 fur, & Lewis) - Camp (no loss)
6. Use 39 (2 indians) get 3 wood & 3 food - recruit card 48 (pay 2 equip, 1 fur, & meat collector) - Camp (no loss)
7. Use 39 (2 indians) get 3 fur & 3 equip
8. Use 43 (power w/ 48) to travel 21 water (landing on Mackenzie, move one space further)
9. Collect 3 wood - Camp (no loss)
10. Use 39 (power w/ 43) get 2 fur, 2 equip & 2 food
11. Use 48 (1 indian) to travel 8 mountain
12. Collect 3 fur - Camp (no loss)
13. Use 39 (2 indians) to get 2 wood, 2 equip & 2 food
14. Use 43 to travel 6 water
15. Use 48 to travel 3 mountain - Camp (no loss)
16. Use 39 (power w/ 48) get 1 fur, 1 wood, 2 food & 2 equip
17. Use 43 to travel 14 water - Camp (2 loss) at 8 spaces past Fort Clatsop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.