10 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Sic Itur Ad Astra off-week: Random Thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
It has been a while since my last post. My home PC was broken, and BGG is blocked on my job, so...

This week, I decided to talk a little about a lot of things that have happened during this month I've been out. I'll return to the match up analyses next week.

Win Rates Controversy

There was a huge debate on my last article about the win rates I've been posted, but I won't start it again today. The truth is that my articles were never intended to be about "how good I am!", but about my match up approach: I play the same match over and over to identify the key cards that are causing my win rate to be low (or high), and then I design an hipotesis to why this particular card is key to this match up, and then I post this hipotesis for debate.

The whole point of this series is to inspire other people to actually try their outside-the-box ideas rather than simply post a decklist on Reddit and ask "thoughts?!". People should not be afraid of failling at deck building. That's what I'm trying to show other players.

So, as posting my win rates have been detracting the point of my articles more often than not, I'll stop posting them. The focus of these articles is which cards improved my win rate and which ones did not; it is not about how high my win rate happen to be.

Rotation

It is awesome. Rotation makes the game easier to balance, and paying 10 bucks for a data pack that will live for 3~4 years is fine for me.

World Championship Weekend

While my metagaming "system" has not predicted that there would be 8 Criminal Runners at the World's top 8, I still believe it has some consistency. Astro/Biotics, a fast Corp, was the deck to be beaten, so people adapted their decks to be faster (early game Runners), and ended up being countered by slow Corps (World's top 3).

I think the system I use has a good balance between efficiency and complexity, as it makes it very simple to read a metagame by having only two categories, and it can give some good predictions (but I'm not saying it is failproof).

I also see that a lot of people don't seem to get what I mean by "slow Corp", and now I see that it was a terrible name choice. I thought that as some decks are fast, the others are slow, but it sounds like that they are actually slow rather than regular. A better choice would be naming them "long mid-game Corps", as it describes it more accurately.

Order & Chaos

My opinion about the Weyland spoilers:

- In general, I'm not really excited about the new Weyland cards.

- Tag n' Bag got a lot of fun stuff. Argus Security might work as a replacement for Snare!, and Checkpoint works as an in-faction Neural Katana. Traffic Accident is crap. I don't think any of the new agendas are good for this sort of deck.

- There are so many cards supporting the advanceable-ICE archetype that is hard not to see it happening. I think Builder is my favorite one, and Searchlight is the one I disliked the most.

- I'm not sure how I feel about the "agenda counters" deck. Titan Transnational allows Project Atlas to work as a ghetto-AstroScript, which is great, but I'm not sold on Mark Yale yet.

- Accounting is likely to be the best current in the game so far.

My opinion about the Anarch spoilers:

- Tag floatting received a lot of thing to play with. Edward Kim is great to punish metas that adapted to Whizzard, Day Job is an influence free alternative for Lucky Find and Steelskin is stupidly good. I'm still divided about Amped Up, but I probably won't play it.

- Bad Publicity decks will be dangerous. Valencia and Itinerant Protesters are pretty good cards, and punishing NAPD Contract is priceless. Time to give Frame Job another chance.

- Noise got a lot of new toys. Hivemind on its own is strong, and paired with Progenitor, it is almost broken. Incubator, Virus Breeding Ground and Surge can feed Hivemind and create a very fast Parasite recursion. MemStripes is not that good.

- About Parasite, the "dinner" rig (Eater + Forked/Knifed/Spooned) might be good too. By now, I'd say that it doesn't have what it takes to be competitive, but this is one of those cases where I'm very open to the possibility of being wrong.

- I'm still not sure how to play some cards. MaxX is great, but Inject and Steelskin already gave us draw power, and Retrieval Run needs better in-faction targets to be good. Human First is a great card for your opening card, but one of the worse top decks ever in mid/late game. Stim Dealer is pretty strong, but it doesn't fit any known archetype so far.

- I think Wanton Destruction is overhyped. You spend your whole turn to force the Corp to trash 3 cards. Demolition Run does that since Cyber Exodus, works on R&D, and most people consider it a weak card. I don't think Wanton Destruction is a bad card, but it is not S tier either, and it is definitely not the best card in the box.

Tournament Report

I played a store tournament last week, got 2nd place due some stupid decision I made at the last round. It was a matter of gameplay, not deckbuilding, so I'm still happy with my results, as deckbuilding is the part of the game I enjoy the most. The tournament was only up to First Contact, so my deck were very outdated compared to the worldwide competitive scene.

I played a Tag n' Bag Weyland very similar to the one Jesse Marshall played at the Australian National. Playing 2 copies of SEA Source worked way better than 1 copy of Midseason Replacements for me, and NAPD Contract is boss. I won all rounds by flatline, so I won't stop playing Snare! in this deck anytime soon.

My Whizzard deck faced NBN Psycho/Beale at all rounds, so I guess people finally adapted their decks against deck floatting. Despite losing two rounds due some very stupid decision, I'm happy with the deck. I played Prepaid Voice PAD rather than Armitage Codebusting, and it seems to work pretty well. I'm thinking about dropping Data Leak Reverse and reduce the amount of "tag me" cards I'm playing, but I don't like the idea of playing without anything that gives me a reason to run on Archives.

(you can find both decklists on NetrunnerDB)

I'm back!

For better or for worse, I'm posting again.
Next week, I'll give my Weyland a second chance against Andy/Sucker, hoping that All That Remains has the help I need.

Thanks for reading, hope you missed me.

Previous Articles
Sic Itur Ad Astra #5: Anarch vs Weyland (up to Up and Over)
Sic Itur Ad Astra #4: Weyland vs Criminal (up to First Contact)
Sic Itur Ad Astra #3: Anarch vs Jinteki (up to The Space Between)
Sic Itur Ad Astra #2: Weyland vs Anarch (up to The Space Between)
Sic Itur Ad Astra #1: Anarch vs NBN (up to Upstalk)

Hraklea's Guide to Metagaming: link here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Sic Itur Ad Astra off-topic: Random Thoughts
One nice thing about Wanton Destruction is that it synergizes really well with extra clicks. If you can get a 6-click turn (Stim Dealer + Rachel?) the corp's hand just up and vanishes after the run. Of course, Rachel is expensive but you do get plenty of benefit for having her on the field...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
One nice thing about Wanton Destruction is that it synergizes really well with extra clicks. If you can get a 6-click turn (Stim Dealer + Rachel?) the corp's hand just up and vanishes after the run. Of course, Rachel is expensive but you do get plenty of benefit for having her on the field...

Amp Up before you run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
Amp Up before you run.

And risk discarding Wanton Destruction due to brain damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chomoon wrote:
CommissarFeesh wrote:
Amp Up before you run.

No risk, no reward! Are you an Anarch or aren't you?

Also - hand-size increasers are totally a thing when you're running lots of self-inflicted brain damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
chomoon wrote:
CommissarFeesh wrote:
Amp Up before you run.

No risk, no reward! Are you an Anarch or aren't you?

Also - hand-size increasers are totally a thing when you're running lots of self-inflicted brain damage.

Just saying. If you want to Push your Luck then by all means, go all in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd have a Same Old Thing installed just in case I'd assume. Then Amp->Wanton Destruction. Hopefully you won't have to waste click on the Same old Thing activation.

Wanton Destruction is much better than Demo Run in that you don't need to install 3 HQ interfaces first, or get lots of nerve agent counters. You can literally just go Amped->Wanton and trash their whole hand, which is pretty powerful, especially if they just used fast track, or you know they have Scorched Earth in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Checkpoint works as an in-faction Neural Katana

I don't think so. If you can't beat the trace, you jack out and nothing happen.

Wormhole is awesome: a str-7 cost 0 code gate that can trash a program or execute the routine of Data Raven...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyjam wrote:
Quote:

Wormhole is awesome: a str-7 cost 0 code gate that can trash a program or execute the routine of Data Raven...

Isn't there a rule about how cards that use their own name are specifically referencing themselves? I'm pretty sure that if you duplicated Data Raven with wormhole, it would end up putting the power counter on wormhole where it wouldn't do anything. Ditto Viktor 2.0, and if you copied the power of Bullfrog, then it would be the wormhole that moved, not the bullfrog.

On the other hand, I might be wrong, in which case Wormhole->Data Raven is absolutely terrifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sechen_rob wrote:
Pyjam wrote:
Quote:

Isn't there a rule about how cards that use their own name are specifically referencing themselves? I'm pretty sure that if you duplicated Data Raven with wormhole, it would end up putting the power counter on wormhole where it wouldn't do anything. Ditto Viktor 2.0, and if you copied the power of Bullfrog, then it would be the wormhole that moved, not the bullfrog.

On the other hand, I might be wrong, in which case Wormhole->Data Raven is absolutely terrifying.

Wormhole doesn't 'duplicate' anything. You resolve the subroutine ON another piece of ICE. Whichever Data Raven you pick gets the token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.